Becoming a Religion Teacher

Hi all. I am currently in high school and am considering becoming a religion teacher in a Catholic high school. I was hoping to get some tips on how to go about this. Stuff like, what courses to take in college and what colleges to consider. Thanks for the help.

Hi Catholic 123,

Welcome to the forum - and delighted to see you would like to teach religion to high schoolers. Regarding colleges, look for one that is faithful to the magisterium. Here is a list of colleges that came up when I googled "Catholic colleges faithful to the magisterium"
catholicity.com/links/130/

Going to a Catholic college where the professors have not signed the mandatum (pledge to teach in conformity with the Magisterium) may serve to let you know what dissenting Catholics are saying, but the BIG drawback is that you wouldn’t be getting the solid teaching of the Church which you will need to refute the false teaching.

Regarding classes: I don’t have the background to recommend specific classes. But, I did teach CCD (8th grade and high school) for 6-7 years. So, I will share the topics I feel are important; I’m not sure what the classes would be called that cover these topics.

What I discovered is that they were always interested in Genesis - the creation of man. (Not in the evolutionary sense, but in the sense of who man is.) The students did not seem to have received much info as to who we are as humans (body and soul; what is the soul; relationship between the two). The best book I ever read on this is called “Philosphical Psychology” (don’t let the title scare you) by D.Q. McInerny, a professor at a Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter seminary. I think the only way to get the book is to order it from the Seminary. The other book/s would be the collection of Pope John Paul II’s talks titled “Theology of the Body” (or the book by Christopher West titled “Theology of the Body Explained”).

Another void I noticed was a lack of understanding as to why they existed; the purpose of human existence. (This was one of the first questions in my old Baltimore Catechism - “Why did God make me?” Every year that question was memorized; it’s truth became so engrained that it colors and directs all of my life. It’s hard for me to even imagine living without having the knowledge of why I exist.)

Two other areas that are very important, especially in these ecumenical times when there is much dialog with other Christian religions:
salvation (understanding of what happened in the Fall, and how we’ve been redeemed thru Jesus) and,
**grace; in particular, sanctifying grace **(versus actual grace); what it is, and how we receive it.

God bless you,
Nita

Thank you very much. I’ll be sure to look into those books when I get a chance. God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.