Becoming a sacristan

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place or if it is a somewhat stupid question… if you can’t tell, I have some self-esteem issues. :o

I’d very much like to become a sacristan. I’m 16, and I know some churches have adult sacristans, but I think ours are in 10th grade and a freshman in college. My question is how do I go about asking about this? Is it okay to talk to our parochial vicar about it, because I’m much better acquainted with him than with our pastor, and he also knows me much better? Or should I go directly to our pastor? Also, we already have two sacristans and I don’t want to intrude or anything. Is it rude to ask?

Thank you very much! If possible I would like to talk to someone about it later today, so any advice would be much appreciated.

~Lefty

By all means, ask! They’re not going to ask you, and priests can’t read minds! (Except Padre Pio, I guess)

Yup - Ask whoever you feel comfortable with. Even if they do not need another sacristan they may have other tasks you can help with. But my bet is they would be more than happy to accept and train you.

Peace
James

Thank you for your replies. :slight_smile: I’m going to give it a shot this afternoon.

~Lefty

Good for you it’s so awesome to see someone who is younger ‘want’ to help in the Church. Good luck, it is so rewarding to help.

I was sent to the sacristy to arrange the details for the next mass by the pastor.
There were two people doing the preperations and said that I wasn’t needed.
I smiled and told them Fr. wanted me to be trained. They attended to business and I watched. In the event I am needed in the future I remember the particular procedures.
Take the time to research the role of a sacristan and you will do Fine!
God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.