Becoming a Theologian

Hi, I’m so sorry, if this is the wrong place :o I know this isn’t a vocation, so much as a job, but I didn’t know where else this might fit.

Anyways, I’m considering studying theology and haaving a job in the field. Is anyone out there a theologian? Can you tell me about your experience as one and maybe some places I can get informaiton about it?

Thanks and God Bless.:slight_smile:

Forgive me for doing this, but I am going to answer your question by asking you a question.

Why do you want to study theology and become a theologian? What are your reasons for wanting to do so?

Btw, I am from Canada and have a Masters in Theology.

Well I have alwasy liked learning about religion (Christianity mostly.) I have always wanted to find out more about the faith, about God, why we believe what we believe, and the thinking that goes behind our faith. Even when I was a small child I wanted to know the meaning of life, God's nature. etc. So I suppose its mostly knowledge and learning about God/religion.

By the way my other options are becoming a lawyer/working in the field of law or becoming an english professor (if these things help you understand my interests.)

You become a theologian when you are able to address the nebulous and critical issues concerning Christianity.

Did you know, in the Russian Orthodox Church there is St. John the Theologian who was the disciple and apostle of Jesus Christ.

It should be fairly easy. Apparently the only qualification is to disagree with everything the Churcht teaches.

:D Sorry--couldn't help myself :D

Seriously, good luck!

This is all helpful.

My recommendation is that if these are your reasons, then you study the faith mainly on your own rather than get a degree in it. It is just not that practical, and too much formal religious study can make your spiritual life “dry up”, so to speak.

My recommendation is that if you go the route of becoming a lawyer that you get a degree perhaps in philosophy and minor in theology in your undergrad, and that if you study English that you minor in theology as well.

In other words, do a little bit of formal religious study, but do not obtain a degree in it.

The problem is that it might be difficult for you to find a school in Canada where theology is taught well, and if you go to the U.S., the places available are very expensive.

I am not being facetious when I say this, but don't quit your day job. It is rather difficult to obtain a position using your theology degree. In these economic times, considering the financial aspect and impact of this line of work is being careful and prudent.

I'm also very interested in theology. I want to get a masters in Catholic theology because I love reading, writing and learning about it so much. I talked to my RCIA teacher about where he got his masters in theology and he said the University of Dallas has a great online program. I'm thinking about doing that. For me the question is what would I do with it besides my own spiritual growth. I've considered teaching or becoming a chaplain. Anyway... I don't have much advice but I wish you good luck and hope you find what you are looking for. Have you read any particularly good books on theology lately? I enjoyed reading Pope Benedict's book "Jesus of Nazareth."

Your career options are probably limited to religion teacher or chaplain, so as mentioned, keep in mind the practicality of the degree. Although, the Church can always use a few more priests and religous! ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.