Becoming an Abercrombie model is anti-Christian?

I’m thinking of getting a job modeling for Abercrombie (a clothing company) so I can make a little extra money to support myself while in college. The problem is that this company is pretty much known as the epitome of “materialism” and “hedonism” among high school and college students. Only the wealthy and attractive kids seem to wear this brand.

Is it wrong for me to advertise for a company I don’t 100% agree with even if I’m making money to support myself and use the blessings (i.e. appearance) God has given me?

Here are pictures from the website of some of the models. This will give you an idea of the “type” of kids that wear and model these clothes: abercrombiekids.com/kids/lifestyles/html/gallery.html

This is a hard decision and hard to give advice about. The easiest advice would perhaps be to tell you to turn away from this. To tell you that you shouldn’t have anything to do with a company that basically screams materialism, that in its own way preaches that what you wear and what you have and how much you have is of the utmost importance.

And yet, would it be so terrible to work with them and make some much needed money? Certainly if they asked you to pose in a provocative way, or in revealing clothing, that would be different and i imagine you would balk at that. But this situation doesn’t seem to be so clear cut as that.

Perhaps it really comes down to the question of how strictly we should adhere to our principles when we are in doubt. That is what is hard to say. Or rather, it would be easy to say you should be unyielding. To say that if you have any qualms about something then you should steer clear.

For ideally, yes, we should all strive to be strongly principled in all instances. Ideally, we should all be saints. The hardest part is knowing when it is called upon us to be strong and to take a stand and when we are simply taking a stand for the sake of being strong.

And it probably isn’t my place to say whether you should take a strong stand or whether you should compromise somewhat.

Let me put it this way (and i don’t mean this as a parallel to your situation, but rather about the potential pitfalls of giving what may be the most technically correct advice): if someone concerned about his health asks whether it would really be so bad to eat a few cookies if offered and whether he should reject everything that may not be 100% healthy, then what is the correct answer? Strictly speaking, the most correct answer is to tell this person to turn down the offer and to turn away from similar offers. Yet while perhaps technically correct, that probably isn’t going to be the best answer. It’ll probably just end up making him desire cookies (and other unhealthy foods) all the more and eventually he’ll cave in and probably in a big way too. So that instead of, say, just eating a few cookies now and then, he’ll suddenly break and end up eating a whole boxful. And then some brownies too. And then a piece of cake. And then why stop there? And so he’ll get down on himself and think what’s the use, i’m just not strong enough and so bother trying to be so health conscious when it’ll just make me fall apart and lose all self control and make me indulge myself in a way i never even used to do?

So sometimes what seems the most technically correct (or perhaps the safest) advice may not be the best or the most practical advice to give for it may be pushing someone to go to an extreme that may not be particularly helpful in their particular situation or that might not even be necessary to begin with.

Understandably you are uncertain about this company. You don’t want to advertise something you believe promotes values that are unhealthy. Yet you need the money and what you would be doing isn’t something that is shameful. Perhaps it isn’t the most principled path to take, the 100% healthy path (ie, not taking the job) but there are worse paths you could choose. Not that you would ever consider this but we have all heard stories of attractive students that become strippers or even resort to worse things to help them make their way through college. So this may not be the very highest road but it doesn’t strike me as a particularly bad road either.

However, if you do take the job and if it turns out that it is the wrong choice for you then i firmly believe that as long as you keep praying and keep yourself alert to the guidance of the Holy Spirit that the Holy Spirit will let you know and will guide you in a different direction. Perhaps not right away. Perhaps only after you’ve gone down this path a while and thus allowing you to more fully understand why it wasn’t the best way to go and why you should turn from it. Then that way in the future when a similar situation arises you’ll know for certain what to do and to take a firm stand if needed.

I know this probably wasn’t a clear answer but i hope it may be of some use. Whatever path you choose, though, i pray that it will work out for the best. And know this, most people your age (and much older too) would have jumped at an opportunity like this without a second thought. To wrestle with such a decision to me shows much maturity and puts to shame my muddled morality and rash ways when i was younger.

Hope you’re having a Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

In the end we all seek hedonism in this life or the next.

Thanks. Merry Christmas to everyone! And I think I will venture into pursuing the job but I will keep a spiritual eye open. There are actually a few subsidiary stores to the “Abercrombie and Fitch” which has a controversial ad campaign. However, the subsidiary store that I’m looking at modeling for is just called “Abercrombie” and is marketed at high schoolers and middle schoolers (rather than college students) so the ads are not revealing beyond what you would see at the beach.

If anyone here is into that sort of stuff keep an eye out for me in an Abercrombie or Hollister ad!!! (I’ll probably ask them if I can leave my Scapular on…that’s how you’ll know it’s me! :thumbsup: ).

why don’t you model for some other brand? there are clothing websites that emphasize on modesty. Their clothes are really nice.

[
layersclothing.com](“http://www.layersclothing.com”)
shabbyapple.com

magazine:
elizamagazine.com

Another way of looking at this could be that if I’m spreading Christ’s message to these people, then I’m being a true Apostle. Christ and His followers didn’t shy away from the moral problems of Rome and Athens, they confronted them. They went headfirst into situations that could have been dangerous.

Maybe if some of the other models and the company itself sees someone at the photo shoot who demands he be able to wear his scapular and refuse to pose in inappropriate ways, just maybe they’d wake up and see that all teenagers aren’t just mindless robots. They’re individuals.

Just a thought…

:thumbsup: for that thought and for displaying an attitude that more Christians would do well to adopt in my opinion.

Another thought. How much control do you have over how they use the photos. E.G. Can they use your head on another body that might be dressed or posed other than as you might wish?

Well…at least I know my conscience would be clean. And I honestly don’t think Abercrombie would try that. They have a huge image to protect and if they take one wrong step and I were to speak out against it, their demographic (high school and college students) would probably be more likely to side with someone their own age (i.e. me) with a face and a name rather than a faceless corporation. At least I would if I were on the other side of a situation like that.

Please go to the website of The Philadelphia Catholic Standard and Times
which is www.cst-phl.com

I remember reading an article in the paper that was really
disturbing about this company. I’m sure if you email them
about this they can give you the information and it may well
help you to do the right thing.

i have a problem with Ambercombie and Filth…especially with one of the tees for girls they came out with. Totally degrading…Honestly, everytime I see a new HUGE model poster in my face at the mall the only thing that comes to my mind is that the models don’t seem to wear much clothes…and personally, with the gifts God gave you, don’t compromise. The ends doesn’t justify the means. If that is the only way to support yourself, pray about it. . I’ve also seen their catalog that had some pretty scandalous stuff in it. I don’t promote A&F at all, in any way, shape or form. However, if you do take the job, you have my prayers for a fruitful and safe job experience. Put it this way, if your face does end up on a poster, i will give you my totally honest opinion of the picture.

Guaranteed. :cool:

btw, you may enjoy www.phatmass.com. Look it up and check out the phorum.

cst-phl.com/040101/youth.html

I don’t either. Maybe I didn’t make myself clear: I would be modeling for Abercrombie Kids (sorry for the bold, just making sure people see this crucial point), not Abercrombie and Fitch. They are two different stores with two different markets. A&F is the controversial college ad campaign, while Abercrombie Kids is basically just regular modeling. Again, I refer all to this link as it shows pictures of their models which are not revealing at all.

Just clearing things up.

And the reason I would rather model for AKids is precisely because they don’t have a degrading ad campaign like A&F. I could never support that.

I don’t think there is anything intrinsically evil in modeling for A&F kids per se, but I usually don’t sit on the fence, especially when you ask for opinions.

Is it Anti-Christian? probably not outrightly so in the kids department.
Is it vital for you to model for this company? That’s up to you.

My question is, why are you going to college? Is there an internship that may be more beneficial and you can still make extra money? If it’s the only option, then I think in good conscience you can model if it doesn’t compromise your beliefs in any way. Also, if you enjoy modeling, this opportunity can help you still decide what you want to do with your life. If you have a gift, how best can you use it to glorify God?

I admire you looking and asking about such an awesome opportunity through Catholic eyes. Take it to prayer. God usually plans bigger and better than we ever imagined! Prayers for you!

I’m confused. Have you booked the job? Do you have an agent?

Daddums :slight_smile:

That isn’t true. You might be hedonistic, but don’t stick it to people who aren’t.

I say do it! There’s no reason not to. So what if other people find Abercrombie “offensive” and “degrading”. They don’t need to partake in any way if that’s the way they feel.

I’m in school as a fashion major. Why? Because I enjoy fashion. I’m not hedonistic, but I’m also not out to change the world or anything. Does this make me a bad person?

Nope.

AndrewLong, it’s not a matter of whether or not the profession you seek makes you a bad person, it’s a matter of whether or not the profession you seek makes the best use of the talents God gave to you to glorify Him.

No one’s asking you to change the world or anything, but as a Catholic you do have an obligation to not promote or continue the downside of your industry. You have an obligation to try to raise it up to a level pleasing to God who gave you the skill, talent, and appreciation to actually pursue this path. You do that at your personal level along your career path. No, you don’t have to protest or confront your bosses or even speak out against management, but the work you produce should always reflect modesty and taste.

Scapularkid’s on the right path in that he’d at least ask to be allowed to keep his scapular on. What he doesn’t know is that if he were to model for this company there will be a contract, and in that contract there will be language about what can and cannot be worn - and they will have him sign away his right to speak out against the company later on.

Scapularkid8, just make sure you have an agent, preferably a christian/catholic one, or at the very least your parents. Read the fine print always before signing anything.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.