Becoming fully Catholic

Hi everyone! I’m new to this forum so please forgive me if I am posting this in the incorrect category.
Let me tell you a little bit about myself to set the scene for my question…
I am 20 years old. As a baby I was baptised as Catholic by a number of priests who were family friends (I think this occurred at my own home, I don’t know if this is important information). Growing up, my parents never forced any beliefs on me after this and never took me to mass except occasionally at midnight on Christmas. I have always been deeply interested in religion for as long as I can remember. In high school, I attended a Christian private school where I was put off Christianity a bit by the practices that were encouraged in the community (speaking in tongues, teachers and students thinking they could perform miracles on others). All throughout this time, Catholicism was in the back of my mind. I think perhaps peer pressure and lack of courage were the things that stopped me from further looking into becoming a “real” Catholic. This year, I finally told myself to get over what other people think of me and I purchased the Catechism, and I have begun reading the bible everyday and praying the rosary at least once per day and also learning some prayers in Latin. I want to start attending mass and look into RCIA classes but I’m not sure where to begin and whether I’m considered slightly catholic (for lack of a better word) due to the fact that I received the first sacrament.
Thank you so, so much for any help! It is much appreciated!

Alright, since you are technically Catholic, I’d get your baptismal certificate and present it to a priest, and explain your situation. I was never baptized until I was 21. I’m glad you say prayers in Latin, multi lingualism is good for the brain (I try to say at least one a day in French). Hmm. Do you think you’d do better in a class setting or a one on one? You could make appointments with a priest if you feel it’d be better to do the latter. God bless.

Check with your local parish about RCIA. That will both give you background on what Catholics believe and will prepare you for the sacraments of Reconciliation, Confirmation, and Eucharist.

Since you are already baptized, that sacrament will not be repeated.

If you are in college, you might also want to check with your local Catholic Campus Ministry or Newman Center. There you will meet other Catholic students. You may be able to participate in RCIA there. The advantage is that they are aware of school schedules and work around vacations and finals.

Hello! It’s great that you’re interested in Catholicism.

If you were baptized Catholic, then you are Catholic. You have the basic level of membership, so to speak.

You now just need to become a fully formed, practicing Catholic. Call your local parish office and find out when and where RCIA classes are offered. That is what you take to learn about Catholicism with the goal of receiving the other sacraments and being fully received into the Church.

Talk to the closest Parish Priest you can find and start the RCIA process and come home to the Catholic Church.

Our Father
Hail Mary
Glory Be

Call the parish and ask about RCIA and how to enroll. If you were indeed baptized you are Catholic, although unformed. Going through RCIA will give you the basics you need to come fully into the faith.

You will get a lot of advice to read this book or that one, study these authors or the ECF, read Thomas Aquinas or…you get the picture. The point is to learn the faith from a logical starting point.

I think many cradle Catholics don’t really understand that non-Catholics or non formed Catholics really don’t know the very basics, like how to make the sign of the cross, when to make the sign of the cross, when to kneel, when to genuflect, what are they saying when they talk about the Blessed Sacrament, who is the Blessed Mother and so on. I’m not saying you don’t know these but I didn’t at the beginning. All the years I’ve been helping in RCIA since my conversion my experience is many people don’t. I’m not faulting cradle Catholics, these things, this language has been with them since birth, I can see how it would be difficult to understand how someone doesn’t have it.

Welcome home!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.