Beer for Lent

This guy is subsisting on beer alone for Lent, which apparently is/was common for certain German monks at some point.

chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-talk-beer-lent-j-wilson-0401-20110331,0,7274382.story

I'm having a tough time deciding if this would be penitential, I think I'd like it too much... :rolleyes:

I agree, it sounds like too much fun. Most of us give up our ale for Lent.

I wouldn’t be able to do this in the first place, as my medications preclude more than a pint a week.

How does he manage to do his job like this? I’d have been fired for even bringing a beer to work, let alone drinking it?

Hope he doesn’t ruin his kidneys permanently…:eek:

He's only drinking beer. :shrug:

I'm only eating lobster.

Wilson, who describes himself as a nondenominational Christian, says he's drinking four 12-ounce, 288-calorie Doppelbocks a day on weekdays, and five a day on the weekends. So far, that comes to about 11 gallons of beer.

Around my neighborhood, those people are called "drunks".

[quote="Barbkw, post:3, topic:234641"]

I'm only eating lobster.

Around my neighborhood, those people are called "drunks".

[/quote]

Lobster only would be a big penance for me. Am I the only one that doesn't get why people love it? Don't tell the high society folks this, but I'd rather eat imitation crab. :shrug:

[quote="Havard, post:4, topic:234641"]
Lobster only would be a big penance for me. Am I the only one that doesn't get why people love it? Don't tell the high society folks this, but I'd rather eat imitation crab. :shrug:

[/quote]

Imitation crab and Stone IPA--yummy! Gave up both for Lent.

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:5, topic:234641"]
Imitation crab and Stone IPA--yummy! Gave up both for Lent.

[/quote]

A woman after my heart... or stomach anyway. :p

[quote="Havard, post:6, topic:234641"]
A woman after my heart... or stomach anyway. :p

[/quote]

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Or so I heard in my youth.;)

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:7, topic:234641"]
The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Or so I heard in my youth.;)

[/quote]

Still true, in my case anyway. :)

[quote="Havard, post:8, topic:234641"]
Still true, in my case anyway. :)

[/quote]

Then your wife must be a very good cook!:thumbsup:

Me too…I would enjoy it entirely too much… :wink:

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:9, topic:234641"]
Then your wife must be a very good cook!:thumbsup:

[/quote]

That would be great, I can't wait to meet her! :p

[quote="Havard, post:11, topic:234641"]
That would be great, I can't wait to meet her! :p

[/quote]

Excuse me, I'm sorry. I thought you were the handsome man with the good looking wife, and adorable children in your photo album! Sorry.:blush:

You might enjoy this comic.

[quote="Barbkw, post:3, topic:234641"]

I'm only eating lobster.

[/quote]

LOL :rotfl:
This would be the equivalent of wearing a shirt made of hair or self flagellation. I am horrendously allergic to shrimp and shellfish... like, I carry an epi pen at all times allergic ...Just made me giggle, I have never actually tasted the stuff!

[quote="themeginthemoon, post:14, topic:234641"]
LOL :rotfl:
This would be the equivalent of wearing a shirt made of hair or self flagellation. I am horrendously allergic to shrimp and shellfish... like, I carry an epi pen at all times allergic ...Just made me giggle, I have never actually tasted the stuff!

[/quote]

Oh much worse than a hairshirt, or self-flagellation--you could DIE!!!

Got some allergies like that in my family, too. Be careful.:thumbsup:

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:12, topic:234641"]
Excuse me, I'm sorry. I thought you were the handsome man with the good looking wife, and adorable children in your photo album! Sorry.:blush:

[/quote]

That's my sister and her girls. I'm very close with them, but perhaps it's weird/confusing that I have photos of them. I am really proud to be their brother/uncle.

[quote="Havard, post:16, topic:234641"]
That's my sister and her girls. I'm very close with them, but perhaps it's weird/confusing that I have photos of them. I am really proud to be their brother/uncle.

[/quote]

And rightly so, as they are a lovely family.

Here's to hoping you meet the wife you deserve, the one who knows how to cook!:thumbsup: I'm toasting you with a Stone IPA.:p

And tell me more about Popeye…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.