Before the time of Jesus, Why did people believe in Abraham?

Hi everyone, as per the title… why did people believe in Abraham and his teachings on God? (at the time of Abraham and before Jesus)

Was there any miracles or proof like we have on the resurrection of Jesus?

The only miracle I can think of associated with Abraham was that his ninety-year-old wife, Sarah, got pregnant, even though “it had ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.” (Genesis 18:11)

People did not “believe” in Abraham as in Jesus. They knew him as their Father as a People. He trusted in the LORD and out of this trust they came to be The People chosen by God out of all the peoples.

All the nations surrounding them knew of the LORD’s name, some seeking his favor as they also sought from the BAALs alongside the LORD, their altars side by side.

But the LORD found someone who believed him and loved him and who gave his whole life back to the LORD (sacrificing Isaac, and then in reciprocal Love, receiving Isaac back from the LORD). While the surrounding peoples knew of Him, the LORD knew and chose Abraham and his descendants as His People. To the surrounding peoples, the LORD was a means to an end of grasping after benefit, a tool. But He was a Lover to his Beloved to this People Israel.

This people knew they were descendants of Isaac, they were the People of God’s reciprocal Love of Abraham, God giving his whole being back into Abraham as Abraham did not withhold Isaac from him. And their constant dilemma was of somehow re-entering that place of reciprocal Love, loving God and being Loved and Blessed by God after their recurring forgetfulness of being His People.

To add he’s considered the start of when people began to worship the one God. There also the Abrahamic religions that all see Abraham as the foundation of their faith, Jews, Christians, and Muslims.

His battle victories could be considered miraculous.
The events of his tentative sacrifice of Isaac flag his ‘anointed’ status.

Thanks for the replies. Did people know about god before abraham?? God as in our god the god of love. I am trying to reconcile the timeline… did adam and eve speak about god and was it passed down to noah? Did noah speak about god all the way to abraham? There wasnt the 10 commandments at the time right… how did people find truth then?

They sure did know about God.
And yes, the same God - the One and only God.
Adam walked with God. Job talked with God. Noah worked for God.
Not only the oral transmission of bible history but also direct personal knowledge of the same God. Such that when God spoke to Noah, He didn’t have to explain to Noah twho He was.

If God talks to me, I don’t wonder if He is the same Person who spoke to Abraham.

I see…Thanks Lion! Genuinely curious.

So in that case…

3 more questions

1. Did everyone know about God then if it was passed from Adam and eve by word of mouth?

2. Was there a name of this beliefs? What was it called before Judaism?

3. So in that case, you interpret the bible as literal when it comes to Adam and eve?

1. No, I don’t think there is evidence that everyone heard about God from direct revelation or indirect oral transmission from Adam & Eve.

2. I don’t know. Maybe there were many ‘names’ for what we today call biblical monotheism.

3. Yes. Whats the point of referring to an ‘allegorical’ person? An allegorical person created by Whom? An allegorical Creator? I’m not an allegorical person. I think you are a real person for the same reason I think Adam & Eve were real people.

Hi, Todd!

…I think it goes a little further than that:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]30 And Sarai was barren, and had no children.

(Genesis 11:30)
Not only were they past their prime, Sarah was actually barren–unable to conceive from day one!

…also, while it is not seen as a miracle, Yahweh God actually visited Abraham (and Abraham and Sarah, subsequently), made the Promise, gave him a sign (circumcision) and separated him from the rest of humanity…

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Hi, James!

…they did not have the same Revelation as people after them… to Jesus’ Incarnation and to us… but they did enjoy a communion with God:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. 3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. 4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”

(Genesis 4:2b-7)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.