Beggin' for prayers

I’ve read posts that leave me thinking that many people don’t really know what a Permanent Deacon is. Some have led me to believe that there are those who feel threatened by what they *think *Permanent Deacons are. We are clerics. We are also, most of us, husbands and fathers and grandfathers and office workers and factory workers. We try to be good in our multiple roles. All of us struggle. Over the next two weekends several dozen Permanent Deacons of the Diocese of Rockford, IL will come together for our annual retreat. On behalf of those attending as well for all Permanent Deacons, may I ask for your prayers? Just as we never know, thru God’s grace, whose heart we may touch in our ministry, so you may never know the Permanent Deacon you strengthen by your prayers.

In any setting, I never pass up the opportunity to thank someone for their efforts as a homilist, lector, cantor, usher or whatever role they may be fulfilling. You might consider giving a word of thanks or encouragement to the Permanent Deacon in your parish.

We’ll make it a point to pray for all of you during our retreat.

thanks,

Deacon Greg

Prayers being sent from this deacon’s wife!

Every Thursday, all the prayer of my entire day is offered for the increase and edification of the clergy: this means you! I intercede for you daily as well.

Prayin’ here too

(I’m in Formation to the Deaconate in Detroit)

It’s true, we need prayers. I exchanged messages with a seminarian from Spain on this site. He said his bishop does not understand the need for permanent deacons. We have the most deacons here in this country. There is a feeling that deacons are mini-priests. Some priests actually believe this. If you review the “Act of the Apostles” the first deacons waited on tables feeding the poor. We continue to be called to “Feed the poor.” Caring for whatever their needs may be.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO

[quote=Deacon Tony560]. If you review the “Act of the Apostles” the first deacons waited on tables feeding the poor. We continue to be called to “Feed the poor.” Caring for whatever their needs may be.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO
[/quote]

Acts also lets us know that there were deacons proclaiming the gospel, being martyred for the faith and baptizing converts from day one of the church. A deacon’s ordination is a full ordination into a full ministry that reflects all these roles from the first days of our Church.

:smiley: There were deacons before there was the rank of presbyters (priests). :smiley:

God Bless

Hello Deacongs,
Yesterday, I celebrated the news that a family member is newly committed to become a Deacon. I also celebrate the news that the Church now allows women to be Deacons, too, which allows me now to discern, myself, for this calling.

Last week I attended the funeral of our dear Deacon Gene who blessed our parish with many, many good works. He now looks down upon you and all deacons from heaven. I pray that he guides you all in the Peace of Christ and that all of you, your families, friends, loved ones and all those whose many lives you touch be filled with God’s Love now and forever and ever, Amen.

Dear Blessed Mother,
Please intercede in the prayers for all deacons. May they be filled with the Holy Spirit as they go about their holy work. Thank you with Love.

Interactive Family Rosary online:
www.familyrosary.org

24/7 Worldwide Live Rosary Participation:
www.comepraytherosary.org

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.