Beginning Apologetics should Protestants Read?

A Catholic friend gave me the first Beginning Apologetics book. It was so easy to read and gave me such an understanding. I am very bad with verbal communication with anything. I thought it would be better if I let my Protestant friend read it for herself. Does anyone thing this is a bad idea?

Probably a better idea to use this book as a source for the summary of doctrine and the biblical sources it gives, so your friend can do her own “bible study” on the issue you are discussing, rather than the entire book at once. It takes us 6 months to go through this book in our post-confirmation class.

Definitely not…use it to get the answers that you need to develope the skills that you need, not do the other person’s homework for them. They less appreciate it when they are handed the answers. Use the CA mainpage Library Tracts if you want to give her something to read, but keep the Apologetics # 1 book for yourself. I strongly suggest that you go through it with a highlighter or pen and underline anything that gets your attention. This helps rivet the info into your mind and that will make it a lot easier to recall and boost your confidence when talking with others about our most holy faith.
Pax tecum,

I have heard that many protestants have been positively impacted by reaading Karl Keating’s “Catholicism and Fundamentalism”. Perhaps that would be a good starting point for you and your friend.

[quote=Church Militant]Definitely not…use it to get the answers that you need to develope the skills that you need, not do the other person’s homework for them. They less appreciate it when they are handed the answers. Use the CA mainpage Library Tracts if you want to give her something to read, but keep the Apologetics # 1 book for yourself. I strongly suggest that you go through it with a highlighter or pen and underline anything that gets your attention. This helps rivet the info into your mind and that will make it a lot easier to recall and boost your confidence when talking with others about our most holy faith.
Pax tecum,
[/quote]

I read some of the tracts and it isn’t as good as explaining as the Beginning Apolgetics books. So you think it wouldn’t be good if I buy her own to study along with me?

personally, i think it’d be a great idea…

but, as i said, that’s my own personal opinion…

:slight_smile:

[quote=emom]I read some of the tracts and it isn’t as good as explaining as the Beginning Apolgetics books. So you think it wouldn’t be good if I buy her own to study along with me?
[/quote]

Y’know… I hadn’t really thought of that. (Doh!). That is really a very good idea and it may help. Especially if you guys maybe meet regularly for coffee or lunch and maybe spend an hour on a topic. Yeah… I’d say go for it and see how it goes. :slight_smile:
Pax tecum,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.