Beginning Liturgy of the Hours

Hi,

I am new to the forum...but been a fan of Catholic Answers for a while! I have just begun to dive into the Liturgy of the Hours (I am using the 1 volume Christian Prayer). I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how you make time. I am trying to just start with Morning, Evening, and Night prayer (as that is what I tried to do with the Magnificat Magazine). But, sometimes I am still having trouble with missing one of the offices. I was wondering if anyone had any great method of making sure they get their prayers in. I really like the idea of praying with the Church and am also a very traditional person. That is part of the reason I decided to take on this task! Any help and advice would be great!
Thanks!

Hi, I want to pray the Liturgy of the Hours too, I also have the one volume Christian Prayer :) however right now I'm concentrating on just doing Vespers. In the new year, I'd love to do the other prayers too. I think it helps choosing a particular time, ie: 8:15, rather than something general like 7-9 pm

God bless!

[quote="Arianna09, post:1, topic:178633"]
Hi,

I am new to the forum...but been a fan of Catholic Answers for a while! I have just begun to dive into the Liturgy of the Hours (I am using the 1 volume Christian Prayer). I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how you make time. I am trying to just start with Morning, Evening, and Night prayer (as that is what I tried to do with the Magnificat Magazine). But, sometimes I am still having trouble with missing one of the offices. I was wondering if anyone had any great method of making sure they get their prayers in. I really like the idea of praying with the Church and am also a very traditional person. That is part of the reason I decided to take on this task! Any help and advice would be great!
Thanks!

[/quote]

Sigh...."making time". I'm retired, and I still have to struggle to "make time". And I don't even have a TV set to waste time with. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you might want to consider setting up a specific time each day for MP and EP. For example, what time do you get up in the morning? How flexable is that? Consider going to bed a half hour earlier each day with the firm intention to use the first half hour of the new day for MP.

That's about the best I can think of, at the moment:(

Perhaps it would be easiest to pick one time of day and make a commitment to pray then. Night prayer is pretty short so that might be a good time to start. Pray it daily for a while. When that has become a part of your life, add another time. Maybe you'd like to start morning prayer. Could you get up a few minutes earlier and find time to pray? After that becomes a part of your life, add in evening prayer. It would just take a few minutes when you get home from work.

Think of taking baby steps, and once one step works, try another.

For Morning Prayer resolve to get up a half hour earlier than you usually do. For Night Prayer resolve to keep the immediate 10 minutes before bedtime as “God’s time”.

Above all, have the mindset that you are actually listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit in some of the prayers or that you are actually speaking Christ’s own words in some of the others.

Remember that by making the attempt to pray the Hours God is so wonderfully pleased by your efforts. As His little child He knows you will not always be perfect, but He loves you nonetheless.

Finally, ask your Guardian Angel to assist you. If you have great desire and resolve you will certainly get lots of help.

I'm new here and still in RCIA, but I am trying to figure out the Liturgy of the Hours currently. I don't have any hard copies, but I did find them online, I'm just curious if anyone can verify if the online versions are the same as the hard copy?
I love to pray, I try to pray the Rosary more than once per day, and I'm always praying like in my heart to God. I was meeting with an online group for a bit for night prayer, but I want to pray more than that. Prayer is a big part of my life :)

If you're talking about Universalis, no it isn't the same. Here are a couple of threads that discuss it:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=99605
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=93785

There's a paid site called eBreviary that I believe does use the same translations as Christian Prayer. There's a thread discussing it here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=307291

A couple of thoughts:

If you're praying alone, Universalis might be just fine. You don't have to worry that the words you have don't match someone else. If you'll be praying in a group, then you'll want to have the same words as the rest of the group. Universalis doesn't include the antiphons and its translations of the common prayers are different. (Example: it uses the version of the doxology used in the Rosary rather than the form used in the Liturgy of the Hours -- "Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever.")

If you're just starting and would like to get a feel for the Liturgy of the Hours, again a free service online can be a good starting point. On the other hand, while eBreviary charges, they teach you to pray the Liturgy of the Hours correctly.

I have a super crazy work schedule...weekdays I work evenings, while weekends I work days. So, I think I will try the idea of waking up 30 minutes early (depending on the day it will alter) and going to bed early enough and with enough energy left to pray. I have gone through stages of being good with prayers throughout the day and then other periods of dryness....which I tend to fall into the habit of forgetting my prayers.

As for online Liturgy of the Hours, that may be a good place to start...and could be good for some...however, I cannot imagine praying regularly in front the computer. I am so much more comfortable with a book and a quite place. That is just me though...I also like something I can take into church with me, whether before mass or in adoration.
Thanks for the help :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.