Beijing 2008: bars forbidden to serve "blacks" and Mongolians

If there weren’t enough reasons to not watch the Olympics:

asianews.it/index.php?l=en&art=12796&size=A

huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/19/no-blacks-mongolians-allo_n_113838.html

What a wonderful idea it was to have the Olympics in China!!!:rolleyes:

Didn’t we already go through something like this? 1936? Berlin? Adolf Hitler? World War II three years later?

:mad:

There is so many similarities between 1936 and 2008 it is scary.

I wonder if there’s any truth in it whatsoever?

The South China Morning Post story broke more than a week ago, and as far as I know it wasn’t confirmed by any other news source, even though the SCMP story got a fair bit of attention.

The Globe and Mail (Canadian) confirmed that Africans and Mongolians are looked down upon in Beijing, being widely regarded as criminals. But that article is more than a week old and is no longer viewable online for free.
theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Page/document/v5/content/subscribe?user_URL=http://www.theglobeandmail.com%2Fservlet%2Fstory%2FLAC.20080719.CHINA19%2FTPStory%2FTPInternational%2FAsia%2F&ord=113897143&brand=theglobeandmail&force_login=true

It should be noted that the police, this past September, conducted an apparently arbitrary, and rough, roundup of blacks in the Sanlitun district.
guardian.co.uk/world/2007/sep/26/china.internationalcrime

I’m not arguing whether the Chinese authorities are nice or not, it’s whether the story is anything other than a report on some rumor that found itself cross-posted around the internet.

All sounds like Liberal Marxist Relativist propaganda to me.

Well, if it is true, the last time this occured, the American black Athlete MOPPED THE FLOOR with the racists.

Woop!! Here we go again!

What else is new? Blacks and Mongolians cannot expect equality or fairness in a country in a country that doesn’t offer their own citizens that courtesy.

It’s disgusting how third world countries sell their sovereignty to China for a mess of pottage, though I understand the economic pressures at play. I would have to be one desperate person to ever migrate there, but then the world is full of desperate people.

Regardless, the show will go on. It’s all about the bottom line. I’d already been inclined not to watch the Olympics and now will certainly be blocking the broadcast. Large corporations may have the clout, but I own my remote.

crazy

One more reason to boycott the Olympics. I hope China loses millions of dollars and the world gets to see what a mess communism has made of a once great country. Also Tsingtao(which is the only Chinese beer I have ever had) is not very good. I’ll stick with beer from places like Britian, Germany, Belgium, Holland, The Czech Republic, Poland and micros from the US. Mexican beer is not bad either.

If this story is true, then I’m deeply shocked: after all, refusing service to black people is completely unheard of in the West.

Jesse Owens must have got the shock of his life when he encountered racism for the first time in Berlin…

The west has made great strides in racial equality while China seems to be in the 19th century.

I assume you’ve never been to Denny’s?

http://www.redkemp.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/made_in_china.jpg

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So true. And we let it get this bad, all the while knowing full well China’s human rights record. Tianamen got swept under the rug so we could have cheap plastic knick knacks. Now it seems like every nation in the world is beholden to them.

I am in China and either my connection is just so ****** that I can’t reach it or both have been blocked on my end.

I can’t see how this story is true. I’ve been studying here for over a month and although black people are few are far between here, they don’t have any problems getting served at the bars here from what I can see.

Most blacks here that I’ve met are West Africans, Senegalese and Nigerians for the most part. I’ve only met one African American, and he was wicked toasted, so blacks can definitely buy alcohol here no problem! To be fair, it was his first day off in over a month teaching at the Korean school here in Yantai.

As for Mongolians, I don’t think that can really be true either. There are a lot of Mongolian minority nationals (Mongolians who are citizens of the PRC) and even one of my teachers is one. Maybe Mongolians from Mongolia who can’t speak Chinese are looked down upon, but IDK…

That being said, Chinese people (Han Chinese that is) are generally quite racist. They have no real notion of “racism” in the sense we, us beizhourens, think of it.

One of my classmates had to explain the N word to one of my teachers when she said “Let’s go, *****”. Please don’t get excited or mad, if need be, moderators please censor that, I just want to illustrate a point. All Chinese know about black people comes from music, some occasional news stories, and popular culture. More than once I have had people ask me if where I live is safe and if there are any black people there! The Chinese, as far as I can tell, generally equate black people with gang violence, drugs, crime, etc. and I can only imagine where they got those impressions :rolleyes:.

When it comes to minority nationalities like Mongolians, or Koreans, or Dai people, or Tibetans, I actually haven’t run into blatant discrimination here yet. I’ll ask my teachers what they think (or I’ll try, it’s hard to talk about that in Chinese…Mingzou is “nationality” but I don’t know how to say ‘Monglians’ or ‘Tibetans’ or stuff like that…).

Update:

So far, from what I have heard from a couple people here, it mostly is true. Chinese people don’t like black people to begin with, as a rule of thumb they don’t like anyone, and bars and clubs are turning them away because they don’t want any trouble with the police.

One girl told me all the Nigerians here she met actually sold drugs.

Anyhow, I can’t exactly confirm the Mongolian part, but I hear that the police in Beijing are harassing black people and because of this, they are being turned away at SOME if not MOST clubs or bars.

I am also NOT defending China, here’s what the blog source said:

The owners of five bars that cater to an international clientele in the Sanlitun area separately told me today that they had not been contacted by police recently about enforcing such a ban or signing a related pledge, though one said he had been asked several months ago to not serve blacks. I will pass on more information as it becomes available.

beijingboyce.com/2008/07/18/um-really-scmp-claims-beijing-to-ban-blacks-mongolians-at-bars/

I guess we’ll see what happens. Somehow it just doesn’t ring true for me.

So I asked my teacher and she didn’t believe this story one bit. I’ll ask around when I return to Beijing and see what’s up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.