Being a Catholic in today's world is like being a deer getting attacked by wolves!

I swear, I think this is sooo true because here you have people attacking you and the Faith and all this garbage! :frowning: It’s just so not cool!

I know it’s a bad analogy but in a way it’s true!

Maybe you guys have a better analogy! :stuck_out_tongue:

Paris,

It is absolutely cool! Just think about…God has chosen to place us here on earth during a time of great need, a time that requires great saints and great efforts of evangelization…we are called to stand during this time and God has given “us” this mission. I once heared that many saints in heaven wish they could be living on earth now because the harvest is so enormous and the laborers are so few…

Let’s do some harvesting! :slight_smile:

Now that almost every anti-catholic has access to the internet, your analogy rings pretty true. Before the internet, it was just geographical attacks. You were safer in highly Catholic areas, but not in the “bible belt” for instance. Of course, I’m in the “bible belt” and live what you are saying every day, lol.

I changed the title! :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe it has always been difficult to be a Catholic Christian. Bishop Fulton Sheen believed The Holy Mother Church went through periods of great upheavel every 500 years or so. The sufferings of Christ’s people are what unite us, and what help those on us in Purgatory reach Heaven so much sooner. Rejoice in your sufferings, Paris Blue.

"Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you."
Matt. 5:11-12

Which part? That part where they knock you down and tear your throat out, then eat you?

China (where they arrest you and throw you in prison without a trial), yeah, I could see that. Saudi Arabia, where you’re not allowed to practice Catholicism openly, sure. America?

Come on.

It is not an “attack” when somebody disagrees with us. It is not an attack when Barbara Walters wonders aloud whether John Roberts’s religion will affect his voting on the Supreme Court. It is not an “attack” when we go to Protestant websites to pick a fight (sorry, to evangelize) and they say mean things about us.

It is an “attack” when they confiscate your property, beat you up, throw you in prison, take your children, or kill you for practicing your religion. Those things aren’t happening in the US.

Why are we so anxious to present ourselves as victims? It minimizes the sufferings of those who are truly attacked and truly victimized.

[quote=Penny Plain]Which part? That part where they knock you down and tear your throat out, then eat you?

China (where they arrest you and throw you in prison without a trial), yeah, I could see that. Saudi Arabia, where you’re not allowed to practice Catholicism openly, sure. America?

Come on.

It is not an “attack” when somebody disagrees with us. It is not an attack when Barbara Walters wonders aloud whether John Roberts’s religion will affect his voting on the Supreme Court. It is not an “attack” when we go to Protestant websites to pick a fight (sorry, to evangelize) and they say mean things about us.

It is an “attack” when they confiscate your property, beat you up, throw you in prison, take your children, or kill you for practicing your religion. Those things aren’t happening in the US.

Why are we so anxious to present ourselves as victims? It minimizes the sufferings of those who are truly attacked and truly victimized.
[/quote]

Oh for crying out loud!
:stuck_out_tongue: Don’t take it literal!!! It was only an analogy! Can you at least see my point?

Christ never said it was supposed to be easy. :slight_smile:

[quote=Paris Blues]Can you at least see my point?
[/quote]

No, not really. You think disagreement = attack. It’s not. We have it very, very good here.

Do you want to know what is worse?

When you know there are wolves prowling around among Catholics disguised in sheep clothing…including those on forums like this.

Usually I feel like a sheep (Catholic) being attacked by wolves. :wink:
Explore Virginia Stefano

[quote=Penny Plain]Why are we so anxious to present ourselves as victims? It minimizes the sufferings of those who are truly attacked and truly victimized.
[/quote]

Ever hear of white martyrdom?

[quote=Penny Plain] We have it very, very good here.
[/quote]

What?!?!

Tell us more.

[quote=fix]Ever hear of white martyrdom?
[/quote]

[quote=fix]Ever hear of white martyrdom?
[/quote]

Yes. In fact, I think you and I have had this discussion before.

I think that what passes for “attacks” in the US today is to red martyrdom (Is that the proper term? If Vulcans were martyred, would that be green martyrdom?) as a particularly vicious paper cut does to decapitation.

We all want sooo badly to be victims.

[quote=contemplative]Do you want to know what is worse?

When you know there are wolves prowling around among Catholics disguised in sheep clothing…including those on forums like this.

[/quote]

Or, when they are Catholics who “pretend” they’re doing you good and decieve newbies! But they are really Catholics who are anti-Catholoic! :mad:

[quote=Paris Blues]What?!?!
[/quote]

No, really.

Our Church owns property. We can go to Mass every Sunday without fear of physical attack, either by government agents or by our fellow citizens. We can even go on weekdays. We can profess our Faith in public without fear of retribution. We can spread our Good News in the marketplace without fear of anything except sneering. We can own Bibles and read them, or not read them as we choose. We can go to Amazon.com and buy any book we can afford to read about our Faith. We can send our children to Catholic schools.

We have our own television network. We have a radio network. We have hundreds of Catholic newspapers that anyone can buy and read. We have schools and seminaries. Our priests do not have to fear arrest and execution; they can even walk around dressed as priests without fear.

Our big problem is that Protestants make fun of us on their websites? Please.

That’s pretty good. In the US it’s taken for granted, but, compared to the rest of the world, it’s amazing.

[quote=Penny Plain]No, really.

Our Church owns property. We can go to Mass every Sunday without fear of physical attack, either by government agents or by our fellow citizens. We can even go on weekdays. We can profess our Faith in public without fear of retribution. We can spread our Good News in the marketplace without fear of anything except sneering. We can own Bibles and read them, or not read them as we choose. We can go to Amazon.com and buy any book we can afford to read about our Faith. We can send our children to Catholic schools.

We have our own television network. We have a radio network. We have hundreds of Catholic newspapers that anyone can buy and read. We have schools and seminaries. Our priests do not have to fear arrest and execution; they can even walk around dressed as priests without fear.

Our big problem is that Protestants make fun of us on their websites? Please.

That’s pretty good. In the US it’s taken for granted, but, compared to the rest of the world, it’s amazing.
[/quote]

I do see your point but can you at least see mine?

And I’m NOT talking about the ripping-out-throat part, please!

Other people here knew the point I was getting across, so I would assume you do too!

[quote=Penny Plain]Yes. In fact, I think you and I have had this discussion before.

I think that what passes for “attacks” in the US today is to red martyrdom (Is that the proper term? If Vulcans were martyred, would that be green martyrdom?) as a particularly vicious paper cut does to decapitation.

We all want sooo badly to be victims.
[/quote]

Can someone explain to me what these colors have to do with being martyred

[quote=Paris Blues]I do see your point but can you at least see mine?
[/quote]

I can see it, yes. The huz likes to say, “Those of you who think you know everything really annoy those of us who really do.” People disagree with us. Some of them use extremely nasty words to disagree with us. It is frustrating and … uh … angrifying.

Words. That’s all. Sticks and stones. And it’s a loooong way from persecution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.