Being a Reader and being in a state of mortal sin?

It struck me after I read at Mass this morning, what if I had been in a state of mortal sin while I was reading (I don't think I was this morning, but before Confession yesterday I think I was)? As one's souls is dead while in the state of mortal sin what effect does that have on a person reading at Mass? Can the Holy Spirit work through a person in the state of mortal sin while they read at Mass? When I read I feel as if the Spirit is working through me, but could this happen if a person's soul was in a state of mortal sin?

A priest in a state of mortal sin can still celebrate Mass.

That fact has often puzzled me. When the priest consumes the Host and Chalice at Mass, does he do so as himself? Would that not mean he is receiving Communion in a state of mortal sin?

[quote="Brendan_64, post:3, topic:338585"]
That fact has often puzzled me. When the priest consumes the Host and Chalice at Mass, does he do so as himself? Would that not mean he is receiving Communion in a state of mortal sin?

[/quote]

My understanding is that a priest needs to go to another priest to confess his mortal sin(s). There may be some dispensation in case that no other priest around to hear that confession, but I don't know of any.

It is not sacrilegious to be reading, serving, cantoring, etc. at Mass in the state of unconfessed mortal sin.

[quote="thistle, post:2, topic:338585"]
A priest in a state of mortal sin can still celebrate Mass.

[/quote]

He can still celebrate Mass because of Jesus' promise to us. The congregation will not be denied the reality of the Eucharist if the priest should happen to be in a state of mortal sin.

I personally never took up the idea that this was a priest, as lay people do the reading at Mass time, even women, what made you think this was a priest. Perplexed.

I took Thistle’s response to mean that if a priest can celebrate the Mass in a state of mortal sin, then it follows that a lesser role (such as a reader) the fact that a person might be in a state of mortal sin would not prevent them from reading. Thistle’s response seemed very clear to me.

Yes. The Holy Spirit can work through one in a state of mortal sin. One easy way to understand this is how the Holy Spirit is the one who convinces us of sin. And offers the “heart grace for repentance and conversion “ (CCC 1432-1433). The is prior to the reception of sacrament of Reconciliation.

Yet since the supernatural (theological) virtue of Charity is lost in a state of mortal sin - no supernatural merits could be gained.

:thumbsup:

An excellent point, thank you very much for that.

I think it’s important to note that a perfect act of contrition with a firm purpose of amendment and seek of confession at your first opportunity technically absolves you of mortal sin. The confession is however required prior to reception of Holy Communion.

It is the Scriptures that are Holy. The Holy Spirit moves us through the Word, not the one who is reading it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.