Being an accomplice of sin?

So we has this neighbor who caused a lot of trouble in our family. My father does not like this man for that reason. My mother is the one who began a friendship with this man and recently, she confessed to me that she was having an affair with this man. I talked her into getting out of this affair. This was about three or two months ago. Today, she asked me if I can go with her to take this man lunch at his job. At first, I refused, but then, so she will not start a big argument with me (she always says that I do not support her and she was making me feel bad saying that he was just a friend now and that what she was doing was not right and that I thought I was perfect). I decided to go with her. I feel bad now, like I committed a sin. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

*1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

- by participating directly and voluntarily in them;

• by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;

• by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;

• by protecting evil-doers.*

Please help! I am a little scrupulous.

Your mother is not being honest here. If she ended her affair with this man, then she wouldn’t be trying to go and have lunch with him and she would refocus her attention where it should be which is your father. Tell her that you want no part of this and if she pressures you again, you will be going to your father and the priest. Don’t get sucked into this nonsence. She is the one sinning here and it needs to stop.

You need to bail out of this one. By going with her you are supporting her in her betrayal of your father - and also of herself. Do the right thing & stand up for it. :thumbsup: you may not be popular, but you get to keep your soul & the love of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.