Being attacked for my faith

I just had a huge fight with my parents over me wanting to become Catholic. I was not the one to bring it up, I never like to . I realized how awful they feel about what I believe and it broke my heart. I never wanted to hurt them or make them feel like I don’t respect them. I hear them say over and over again, what I believe is wrong. My mother told me that Roman Catholics think Anglicans are evil, which I know is not true. Should I just keep my mouth shut when my family does attack me? I don’t know how to respectfully help them understand the Catholic faith and how I feel. Please pray for my parents, advice would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Your parents want what is best for you. You and they disagree with what that is. Don’t fight over religion with them. Just don’t engage in those conversations.

3 Likes

How old are you?

Give them (and you) some time to calm down.

When the dust has settled a bit, you can go to them and say something like “I’m so sorry things got heated the other day. I know you’re worried about me and care about me. What would you like to know?”

Or something like that :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Please know I’ll be praying for your parents and for you.
God bless you and your parents

1 Like

Patience. Self-restraint. Do not respond when they are agitated.

Matthew 10:21-22 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

21 The brother also shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the son: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and shall put them to death.

22 And you shall be hated by all men for my name’s sake: but he that shall persevere unto the end, he shall be saved.

Do not fight over religion, in fact, do not mention your conversion until you are a self supporting adult. Learn to be humble and to show your parents love and respect.

3 Likes

My prayers are with you and know that God loves you and your family :slightly_smiling_face:

all of the above and make sure you tell them you are thankful that they are raised you to love Christ.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.