Being Attacked

I have been a devout and practicing Catholic since I was young…I was baptized at 8 years of age and I was drawn very closely to Our Lord…I hit a rough spot in my faith during my teenage years, and since then it’s been a struggle. I’ve never once doubted my Faith, if you will, but I’ve had periods where I have not been as devoted as I should be.

My husband, who is neither Catholic nor baptized (he is nothing religiously…he believes in God/Heaven/Hell, but falls short in Faith). He has gone to Sunday Mass with me practically every week, and through my desire to eventually convert him, my Faith has grown stronger, especially recently since I’ve moved to a different country and am no longer in my home parish…my Faith has been renewed and I can feel the Lord working in my life. This would be the second night in a row that my husband and I prayed the Rosary together, and other prayers. I couldn’t get to sleep afterward so I decided to pray another Rosary, and chose the Sorrowful mysteries. Everything was going fine until the beginning of the 5th mystery when thoughts of the Devil flooded my mind and how angry he was that I was praying, and how scared I was to make him angry, for fear of attack. Fear started to over take me as I prayed, but then I remembered I had God on my side, so I started praying harder, finished the rosary, rebuked the Devil in the name of Jesus, and prayed to Saint Michael. Relief flooded over me and so I said a few more prayers, and then went to my living room where I keep my Holy Water. My two young cats were sitting on my couch nearest where I keep my holy water and they were visibly spooked about something and acting strangely as I approached them. I brought the Holy water into my bedroom with me and the kittens followed me and are now sleeping very close to the bottle.

Attacks of fear are not unusual for me…they used to happen many times, and I’ve woken in the middle of the night, completely paralyzed, while an attack of fear is happening (the most recent only last week). The first time I remember this happening was last summer, and I felt an evil presence near my head and a dark voice say “You will be mine.” I’ve learned to fight through them…Prayers to Mary and St. Michael seem to be the best help.

About 6 or 7 years ago I had a dream where I was in a Monastery, and I was being guided around by some Monks…I reached a well that went through the middle of the monastery, all the way up to the roof. I remember looking in, and being told to be careful, that the well was where the monks would banish the demons they found. I was grabbed by something in the well, and right as I was about to be pulled in, I found myself pulled back and I landed on the roof, safe. I attributed this to the Angels. This dream seemed to foreshadow my current struggles and has troubled me for a long time.

Does any of this sound like an over active imagination? Sometimes I fear that it’s just my mind playing tricks on me…I’ve talking to people who say it’s only my imagination or offer other logical explanations. I’ve noticed my struggles do get worse whenever I pray more often, though.

Any prayers or suggestions would be appreciated and welcomed!

The devil may attack you also for possibly bringing you husband into the Church adding to the body of the faithful. I don’t think it would be the result of an overactive imagination. I have had occasions when I am praying, where my mind just becomes cloudy or I am easily distracted from my prayers. I will then refocus and finish my nightly prayers and if I have to, start over and once I am able to finish, i feel more at peace.

I am offering prayers for you.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death

Amen

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

No, your imagination is not overactive. I’ve at least been taken over by demons once, if not actual latent possession. He probably knows your prayers and efforts are bound to pay off and is trying to scare you off. Because you scare him. Consider these attacks a blessing, like you would persecution from other people, except on crack.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou O prince of the heavenly host - by the divine power of God - cast into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits that roam throughout the Earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

You can put a spiritual spin on your story, or a psychological spin; as far as I can tell, they both can be valid for your case. I doubt you’re really being attacked by evil angelic forces, but your issue can profitably be dealt with as a spiritual issue. Someone else can take the spiritual tack in replying to you, but I’m going to take the psychological tack.

Our daydreams and night-dreams seem to be built from issues we are dealing with in our everyday lives, and the exact forms and story lines tend to have symbolic meanings. For example, someone afraid of going into debt because he lost his job could daydream while praying, or dream while sleeping, that he is falling off a cliff, or trying to escape an octopus that is wrapping its tentacles around him. The symbolism doesn’t have to be complicated, but then again, it can be misleading. If the daydream involves images from religion, people can take the dream too literally. (Sometimes it’s real demonic issues, but 99% of the time, not.)

“How scared I was to make him angry” - wow, that says a lot. Is there a real person in your life you are/were scared to make angry? Your father? Your husband? Did someone hurt you when you were a child?

“Attacks of fear are not unusual for me” - have you ever explored what those attacks are really about? Something that happened, or something that was done to you, in your childhood?

Sorry, I don’t mean to act like child abuse is the one right answer, but it boils dow to that very often. Plus you said you were baptized at 8, which is unusually late, and I’m wondering why your parents waited that long.

You are probably going to be advised here to consult with a priest about exorcism, but what I’ve said to you so far will be part of the discernment process to see if you are a candidate.

Thank you for the prayers…they are great appreciated!

“How scared I was to make him angry” - wow, that says a lot. Is there a real person in your life you are/were scared to make angry? Your father? Your husband? Did someone hurt you when you were a child?

I’ve always been sensitive to people’s emotions…nothing bad has ever happened to me, per se, but I react very strongly to peoples’ emotions…especially those of anger. I’ve also had issues with letting people walk over me and not standing up for myself.

“Attacks of fear are not unusual for me” - have you ever explored what those attacks are really about? Something that happened, or something that was done to you, in your childhood?

Nothing more than watching the occasional scary movie…which I forbid myself to watch. I still can’t sleep in the dark. This is why I might attribute some of my problems with an over active imagination…the VERY few scary movies I’ve watched over my life time.

Sorry, I don’t mean to act like child abuse is the one right answer, but it boils dow to that very often. Plus you said you were baptized at 8, which is unusually late, and I’m wondering why your parents waited that long.

I totally see where you’re coming from, and a lot of your points made me stop and think…which is good! At this point in my life I do need the outside opinions to try and see what might be effecting me…for a long time I felt very alone in this, and this past year has been very trying (getting married, moving to a different country -husband is Military-, ect.)

I was baptized at 8 because my Dad was a fallen away cradle Catholic and my mom was raised Baptist, and neither were practicing their Faith until the year before, or so. If I remember correctly they came into/back into the Church that same year.

+When our Lord was being tempted to fear by the enemy of souls in the wilderness he spoke Sacred :bible1: Scripture as his defense . . . I love the below portion of God’s** Holy Word **. . . it specifically speaks and greatly strengthens your soul at such times . . .

:bible1:
You are of
God
****, little children,
and have overcome him.
Because greater is he that is in you,
than he that is in the world.
1 John 4:4
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Almighty God! +
:signofcross:
[/RIGHT]

+*Here’s a wonderful prayer to memorize also . . . *

[size=]. . . :signofcross: . . .[/size][FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]
Memorare
Prayer
[/FONT]

Remember,
O Most Gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that
** anyone**
who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help,
and sought thy intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence,
I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother,
to thee I come,
before thee I stand sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate!
Despise not my petitions,
but in thy
mercy,
hear and answer me.
Amen.

- St. Bernard of Clairvaux
+

. . . thank You Blessed Virgin Mary our Mother+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Churdh+
. . . to God be the Glory! +
[/RIGHT]

It could be your imagination.

But, if it’s real to you, and troubling you… I’d be inclined to say that’s enough reason to take it seriously enough to speak with your priest or a good counselor with strong Catholic ties.

Something is obviously unsettling you, and I can’t imagine a priest wouldn’t want to help.

As far as I’m concerned… these days especially… I believe very much in unseen things trying to disrupt spiritual connections to God and faith.

God bless, good luck, and keep us posted.

I’ll pray for you, Mariacamille.

Dear Lord,
Please help this Christian to overcome the attacks of demons and the devil. May she find solace in your eternal love and kindness.
Thank You Jesus
Amen.

:eek: That’s really weird because I’ve just recently started memorizing scripture and so today, maybe 5 minutes before I got on here I decided to pick another verse and this is the exact verse that stood out to me!

+God works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform . . .

*God bless . . . *

. . . thank You Lord+
:harp:
[/RIGHT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.