Being Born Again

one of my friends wrote this long blog post about being born again. As a catholic I have always believed that being born again means being born from above. This guy has some interesting arguments. Can you help me decipher what he is saying and why his interpretation is wrong. This is his blog:

asthenes.blogspot.com/

Click on the first link on the bottom about being born again to read it. Feel free to comment about his other blog posts as well but i am really interested in discussing his first one.

Sorry I got more into his blog about priests. (I’m discerning priesthood so I got more into that one) So for his priest one, which seems to reflect to all his other blogs, I would say he asserts his opinions then just uses out of context Bible verses to prove his point. He also doesn’t seem to know what’s going on before the Bible was written since there is a gap between Jesus resurrection and when the NT was written.

His blog is completely contrary to Catholic doctrine. Especially this part:

Are we born again by being baptized? No, clearly John 3 does not indicate that we are born again via water baptism, but by having faith in Him.

Catholics believe that we are born again through Baptism, and that Baptism regenerates us so that we are a “blank slate” before God, and a member of His Church. The “exegesis” your friend uses to try to prove the point above is truly eisegesis. I suggest you quit reading his blog and find some good Catholic sites.

I agree. Good post.

I think he is manipulating Scripture to suit his own understanding and fixation. For example, and the must important one:

“In 1 Peter 1:3 and 1 Peter 1:23 we see that we are born again from the living and abiding word of God not from water.”

But if we go to Acts 19:3-7 we see how important it is the baptism with water to receive the Holy Spirit:

3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve of them in all."

Again he goes on to say this, even though Saint John 3:3 immediately after this goes on to say that we need to be born of water and Spirit:

" Are we born again by being baptized? No, clearly John 3 does not indicate that we are born again via water baptism, but by having faith in Him. "

But he does not say what it means what John says of being born by water and Spirit??:confused:

I really think he is dangerous because he claims to know and goes quoting Greek and other passages, but does not quote the must important ones.

He can translate John 3:3 with ‘again’ no problem. In fact Nicodemus understood it like that and that is why he went and said: '“How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” John 3:4

And therefore, because Nicodemus was understanding wrong what Jesus said, Jesus explain to him and said this: “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:5-6

“(…) in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to him.” 1 Pet 3:20-22

But obviously these passages are not important for him.

After saying all this, if you see at your friend’s life and he lives according to the Gospels, a righteous life, do not misbehave sexually, is nice, and not a drunker or drug user, or any other bad behavior. Let him be, just be firm in your believes and just be cautious in what he says. :wink:

Hope this helps,

In the love of God,
Gloria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.