Being challenged by a Seventh Day Adventist

I just don’t know how to answer a Seventh Day Adventist I know. She posts such hate about the Catholic Church and just is so defensive. Is it a lost cause?

Just tell her Christ called us to Love as he loved us. What kind of hate she harboring?

MJ

If your religion is all about what you are against, and not what you are for…you better take a real GOOD LOOK at your religion.

Ignore her, they are heavily indoctrinated and anti-Catholic propaganda is part of the indoctrination they receive. I never discuss religion with them but it is your choice.

Linus2nd

It is very sad that so many people are taught prejudice and hatred for those of other faiths and beliefs.

I find the Catholic Mass to be a beautiful celebration of love for Jesus Christ and my heart was warmed by seeing the sincere and deeply held devotion to God on the faces of the Catholics there.

That is very nice of you to say!

Ever talk to a SDA? They don’t like Catholics and are not afraid to say so. If I hear one more time from her I worship idols…

If someone is that closed-minded, trying to engage them in conversation is probably a waste of time.

ICXC NIKA

If she gets to decide what it is you worship does that mean you get to decide what it is she worships? Does she not agree that “we must worship **in spirit **and truth” John 4:24?

Peace!!!

Its taught to them from birth. Their end time view centers around the notion the Catholic church, pagans and governments all over the world uniting to persecute them and force them to keep Sunday. This added to the normal protestant ideas against Catholicism.

Just be nice to them, let it roll off your back. You never know. I was born and raised SDA myself yet here I am with my wife also raised SDA. I was about as anti catholic as you could get once.

Since you are the one who knows her, you are the best-equipped to answer that last question, but we are enjoined to be patient.

Anyone who rants against anything is generally working from an emotional rather than logical basis, and so responding with mere logic is unlikely to reach them. Bigotry of all kinds works the same way: X people are evil, and any bad thing about X people is inherently more believable than any good thing about X people. We certainly see that in these forums.

If you can, I would suggest sitting down with her and working through her prejudices about Catholicism: “Why do you believe this about us?”, “Who told you this?”, “How many Catholics have you actually asked about their beliefs/practices on this account?” Given enough time, you might gradually bring her to understand that what she has been told does not cohere with observable reality.

Begin by being a good Catholic and then she will have to ask herself if there is a flaw in her anti Catholic beliefs. Anti Catholics are the hardest to talk to, mainly because they aren’t interested in a reasonable discussion only raw emotion. That’s my experience anyway.

I lived in Berrien Springs, MI for many years and they are taught very vigorously that the Catholic Church is the Antichrist. I came away, though, with many beautiful Christian friends with whom I still am in contact.I ended up not hanging around thise who were intent on converting me and doing things with those who loved Jesus but did not feel it necessary to keep haranging me about my day of worship or their intepretation of end times.

Tell her that denouncing your beliefs will not gain anything with you. One thing I did value with my SDA friends was our conversations about each other’s beliefs…never using any put-downs.

I’ve never conversed with SDAs, but with fundamentalists, who are not much different. And having briefly, when I was younger and dumber, walked among these people, I can give you some insight. None of which is going to make you feel any better.
When they see you, they see a non-believer, an “unsaved”, “unregenerated” person.
Nothing you say to them will make a dent in how they see you.
You are unlearned, you do not know the Bible, you are headed for Hell unless you repent. You are not one of them. Simple as that.
You are their “project”, you are the object of their prayer meetings for you to “get saved”.
You are the object of their whispers among themselves when you walk into the room.
They pity you, they feel sorry for you.
You are lost.

Looking back, it’s no wonder I walked away. What a miserable way to live.
At the beginning of the Catholic Mass we recite the words every Catholic should believe in: Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy.
Ask yourself, is there any room for mercy in the kind of religion they have?
Told you it wouldn’t make you feel any better.
But it is the unfortunate truth.

Just stay away from this person. I dated someone who is SDA, and theirs so much hate in their church, its unfortunate bc they have a lot of good people, but the stuff that they are taught are so venomous. Just stay away and pray for the person.

Oh yes, just don’t speak to them, they are so close minded, it be better to speak to the wall.

I don’t think that works, with my ex girlfriend, I tried showing her by actions that I was not this evil person portrayed by her Church. I know she saw it, but at the end she didn’t see it.

Sometimes you really have to just put it in God’s hands via prayer, when it gets really bad.:shrug:Trust me, I know; my sister hates the Catholic Church; she drinks the kool aid of the hate mongering/rabid anti-Catholics who propagate lies and disinformation. Important thing to remember: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.”

When they see you, they see a non-believer, an “unsaved”, “unregenerated” person.
Nothing you say to them will make a dent in how they see you.
You are unlearned, you do not know the Bible, you are headed for Hell unless you repent. You are not one of them. Simple as that.
You are their “project”, you are the object of their prayer meetings for you to “get saved”.
You are the object of their whispers among themselves when you walk into the room.
They pity you, they feel sorry for you.
You are lost.

Yeah, religious bigotry and prejudice is very unfortunate.

:frowning:

I think in her past she was Catholic, but had a bit of a rough time in life and was what she called a sinner. She was “saved” by the SDA and now looks at the Catholic Church though saved eyes.

I will pray for her, but talk of religion just is frustrating. I do wonder when I am saying I am going some Bible reading before bed what she thinks.

Thanks everyone!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.