Being gay, lesbian, transgender

I am pretty sure gender fluidity has always existed. We just thought too much in black-and-white to recognize it for what it is.

That’s interesting. Marriage has been between a man and a woman for thousands of years. It’s the homosexual community that is imposing their morality on marriage and twisting it to suit what they want.

A homosexual couple can live together as they wish. They are free to come before family and friends to announce their undieing love for each other, to exchange rings. Why do you need more than that? Why do you need the law of the land to be changed to accommodate you? You already have the freedom to pursue happiness according to your wishes.

I want to add that the church has existed for 2,000 years and has always stood up for the dignity of the human person from conception until natural death. It’s the people in the church who have fed the hungry, clothed the naked, did works of mercy through the centuries. I have 2 men living together next door, and they would say that I am a good neighbor to them. Never think that because someone is a Catholic, they must therefore hate people who are homosexual. No. We are reminded every week to love our neighbor as ourselves. We sure need a lot more of that.

Marriage doesn’t mean the same thing to the secular world as it does to the religious world. To be quite honest, I don’t see the point of a completely secular marriage aside from the legal benefits. I can see the significance of a ceremony in which the two people celebrate their love for one another, but I don’t see the importance of the status of being married in a purely secular context. According to Catholicism, a valid marriage produces a supernatural bond between a man and a woman that is only broken by death. According to the secular government, marriage is nothing more than a legal document which can be ended at any time. Nothing really significant to the secular definition.

Legal marriage, in the secular sense, affords many protections to the couple. One may argue these protections aren’t necessary if children arn’t involved. However, there are many legal ways for a gay couple to have children, so I would argue the protections provided by legal marriage are more than necessary.

You asked, so I answered.

A Catholic believes the Church has a twisted view of morality? That’s a first for me to hear.

I find the Church’s teaching on morality acceptable to say the least and beautiful personally.

That’s not the point. It is being marketed as a new option for young people.

Very well said.

How do you know that God didn’t make you with a birth defect? In Jeremiah 1: 4-5 it says:

4 Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,

5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you"

So, if God formed all of us in the womb, how is He not responsible for any birth defects we might have? I have ADHD which I likely inherited from one of my parents since it is highly heritable and a number of genes have been linked to it. I’m not sure I want to let God off the hook for making me this way.

Those are some very strong words.

We all have to play the hand we’re dealt.
Each one of us can make the decision to go into our day with God. I’ve lived without God for the first part of my life and let me tell you, life with God is better. A 100 times better.
God has a plan for your life and for my life. We both can bring down graces onto this world, or we can make it darker. Which one do you want? I want holiness here, and heaven for my retirement. I hope you chose that today too.

God KNOWS us better than we know ourselves and God LOVES us more than we love ourselves. He gives us what he knows we can handle.

You do realize that it’s OK to be angry with God sometimes. You should try reading Jeremiah where he says to God (15:18):

Why is my pain unceasing,
my wound incurable,
refusing to be healed?
Truly, you are to me like a deceitful brook,
like waters that fail.

Saying that God is like a deceitful brook or waters that fail is pretty strong.

so god isn’t saying being gay is a sin he’s saying that commiting any type of gay act I.e. Sleeping with the same sex is a sin? Is that basically what is being said? What about gay married couples who bring a child into the world or adopt a child that has been left or abused by a married heterosexual couples and the married homosexuals who care for this child and give them a better life, are things like this not seen by god and for him to think you have given someone a better life or does he think oh okay well you have basically saved a child and given them a great chance at life but you gay couple sleep together so giving that child a good life doesn’t count. I feel as though it doesn’t matter what a gay couple do if they were the best people on the planet If they help the poor, give to charity etc etc if they sleep together whatever they do is a waste of time because it’s all over looked because they sinned by sleeping together. What about the good in gay people is this all voided out because they have had sex together? I’m just curious again it’s an interesting topic

I disagree with this because what about people who suffer from depression? Your saying that god gave them what he knows they can handle? Why do people who suffer from depression kill themsleves if god truly knows they can handle it? If he knew they could handle it then why do they take their own lives then?

But I don’t understand this. We all want to go to heaven but surely even if you are gay or anything as long as you are not inflicting pain on others you should be able to go to heaven. What about the decent people who don’t follow god but do amazing things for the world will they not go to heaven? If your not hurting others and living a happy life and even making others happy and changing lives for the better it must count for something, regardless of wether you follow god? I believe in god I believe in Jesus but I am not a saint at all and I’m sure I have sinned at some
Point in my life but I have never inflicted pain on others, I raise money for charity and help others as much as I can. I help people become fitter and healthier by being a personal trainer surely that counts for something right?

God allows disorders, disabilities but also the good things in our personalities and in our bodies. It is our choice what we do with what we have. We have many things available to help us today. He asks nothing of us that He didn’t ask of His own Son.

Do we THANK GOD as much for the good & great things He blesses us with as much as we complain and put down some of the bad things God puts in our life.

Because some people despair and give up. It doesn’t mean it was absolutely impossible to overcome it.

That is God’s call. He sees all, He knows all and He judges all.

Correct. The desires in themselves are disordered but not necessarily sinful. (They can be if one intenionally entertains them.)

Giving a child a better life is a good thing. Although I do not think it is ideal for a gay couple to adopt, given that the gay couple does not truly represent a family, deprives the child of a father or a mother, and the child would grow to see homosexuality in a positive way (which we as Catholics would obviously see as a bad thing), I am of the opinion that it is better for a gay couple to give a child a better life than not. I don’t think there is an official statement about this though (someone correct me if I’m wrong), so I think disagreement is allowed when it comes to the issue of gay couples adopting.

This is an interesting question. I don’t think I know enough to give a solid answer. All I can really say is that if someone knows it is gravely sinful to commit homosexual acts and freely chooses to do it anyway, that is mortal sin, and mortal sin cuts us off from God (people who die before repenting from their mortal sin go to Hell). I also know that being a good person isn’t good enough if our good works are not united to Christ. I don’t know if mortal sin necessarily “voids” the good deeds done, though it would appear the answer would be “yes it does” since one in unrepented mortal sin will still go to Hell regardless of how much good they did before. Someone else will have to answer that.

Would you break this one down for me?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.