Being grateful for what we have

I just have a question for people. I try to be grateful for everything I have but day to day life does get in the way. I often hear sayings like 'If you can read you are far better off than most people in the world' or 'If your meal is burnt think of all the people who are starving'.

Here is my problem with those quotes. I feel tremendously guilt feeling better at the price of other people's misery. Why can't everyone have enough to eat and if my meal burns I just don't see it as a big deal.

Why can't everyone in the world know how to read? I don't want to be grateful because there are illetarate people out there. Not to mention that nowaday even reputable news papers print some pretty racy articles so even the ability to read can be twisted into sin.

Do people understand the point I am trying to make? Does anyone else feel that way?

CM

[quote="cmscms, post:1, topic:181646"]
I just have a question for people. I try to be grateful for everything I have but day to day life does get in the way.

[/quote]

Could you share an example of how you show your gratefulness? It might be as simple as praying grace before a meal.

I often hear sayings like 'If you can read you are far better off than most people in the world' or 'If your meal is burnt think of all the people who are starving'.

Here is my problem with those quotes. I feel tremendously guilt feeling better at the price of other people's misery. Why can't everyone have enough to eat and if my meal burns I just don't see it as a big deal.

Mother Teresa started with picking up one person off the streets. She did not start with everyone just one. St. Damien started by raising his hand when the bishop ask for volunteers to go to an island of lepers. You and I cannot save the world, but when can help a person her and there. What simple ways do you seek to help people?

Why can't everyone in the world know how to read? I don't want to be grateful because there are illetarate people out there. Not to mention that nowaday even reputable news papers print some pretty racy articles so even the ability to read can be twisted into sin.

There are times that I wish I could not read. It would make it easier to filter out some of the filth. However, if I could not read then I would never have read The Little Flowers of St. Francis, The Scarlet and the Black, or Kolbe: Saint of the Immaculate. Oh, I almost forgot the Bible.

God bless

You are right in wanting to be grateful for anything you have for positive rather than negative reasons. Gratitude involves joy, not guilt. If it is forced, then it is guilt, not thankfulness or gratitude.

You obviously are discerning, so be thankful for what you see as gift in your life, because you are obviously too intelligent to confuse gratitude with guilt. In your gratitude you can pray for those who have less, and where you can, do something to help. Where you cannot give practical help, at least pray. Guilt is of no use whatever to others.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and
petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” [Philippians 4:6 ]

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one
body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of
the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” [Colossians 3:15-17]

Ok, here is an example of how I show my gratefulness.

When I get ready for work and I open my make up bag to get ready I said to myself ‘To have all this make up is an obvious sign I am blessed beyound belief.’ I don’t put on make up to be vain, I put it on in a professional manner since I work in an office and I realize that all my basic needs are more than tooken care of if there is money left over for make up.

The best way I go about helping people is saying a silent prayer when someone walks donw the street that appears to be suffering

Thanks

No, can’t understand because your explaination is to vague. “…day to day life…” is all we have got. Each day, one at a time. “…give us this dayour daily bread…”. You have no promise for the next 5 minutes that you will still be breathing let alone tomorrow. Today is all we have, for that we need to find gratitude. Some how, some way you need to understand who you are, and Who God is, to be grateful.

Maybe I can try to be clearer. When I said 'day to day life' perhaps a better way of phrasing it is 'I try to be grateful but as a sinner I often forget to be grateful'

Also, I was more interested in knowing if anyone else feels guilty at the though of using other's misery to be grateful.

Does that clear it up?

Thanks

CM

[quote="cmscms, post:6, topic:181646"]
Maybe I can try to be clearer. When I said 'day to day life' perhaps a better way of phrasing it is 'I try to be grateful but as a sinner I often forget to be grateful'

Also, I was more interested in knowing if anyone else feels guilty at the thought of using other's misery to be grateful.

[/quote]

Yes, I do, and I think comparing one's suffering with someone else's suffering for any reason is a bad idea.

[quote="cmscms, post:4, topic:181646"]
Ok, here is an example of how I show my gratefulness.

When I get ready for work and I open my make up bag to get ready I said to myself 'To have all this make up is an obvious sign I am blessed beyound belief.' I don't put on make up to be vain, I put it on in a professional manner since I work in an office and I realize that all my basic needs are more than tooken care of if there is money left over for make up.

The best way I go about helping people is saying a silent prayer when someone walks donw the street that appears to be suffering

Thanks

[/quote]

From what I read, I would state you have a humble spirit.

I think it is normal to see others in poor conditions and to be grateful for what is good about one's life.

Praying for people that you see suffering would be a spiritual work of mercy.

•To instruct the ignorant;
•To counsel the doubtful;
•To admonish sinners;
•To bear wrongs patiently;
•To forgive offences willingly;
•To comfort the afflicted;
To pray for the living and the dead.

Is it possible to incorporate a corporal work of mercy into you life? Example: The good book tells us that if we have two cloaks we should given the 2nd one away.

•To feed the hungry;
•To give drink to the thirsty;
•To clothe the naked;
•To harbour the harbourless;
•To visit the sick;
•To ransom the captive;
•To bury the dead.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.