Being honest about something

well i am catholic and love it.. i read the bible often and go to mass every week, i find great joy in my faith and i am striving to get better and better..

there is a group at my church that gets together, nights of columbus i believe.. about a year ago i wanted to join but to be honest i was worried about what my friends would say.. alot of my friends used to bash me telling me i was getting "all religious"... and i was afraid they thought i was a weirdo..

even though in my heart i believe . and hope my faith is strong.. often, out in the public of my friends, ahve a hard to evangelizing, explaining myself, etc. its like im no good at standding up for what i believe in, im gettinb teter at it but it think its because i always gave into peer pressure at a young age to fit in..
i have been going to mass with one friend..

anyways, anyone have tips for overcomign this sort of thing?? also, im guilty of stereotyping people in these kind of groups, which i feel bad for, i used to be a rebel is why.. but i think id find great joy in this, and i like the name lol:thumbsup:

My Grandson's is now 19 but when he was 17 and after being pulled from one town to another. Starting new schools etc, he came to a discovery.

He said, "I learned to just be myself in a new school. If you try to be someone different, that is the kind of kids who become your friends. Then you are stuck with them. Now I just be myself and people who like me become my friends and I don't have to pretend."

I thought that was a remarkable statement. In the last three years he has found some very wonderful friends that he doesn't have to pretend with.

You can't live in two different worlds. Both will become a farce and you will find yourself not belonging anywhere.

It is my prayer that you will be true to Christ. Then you will of necessity be true to yourself.

[quote="HelenRose, post:2, topic:309842"]
My Grandson's is now 19 but when he was 17 and after being pulled from one town to another. Starting new schools etc, he came to a discovery.

He said, "I learned to just be myself in a new school. If you try to be someone different, that is the kind of kids who become your friends. Then you are stuck with them. Now I just be myself and people who like me become my friends and I don't have to pretend."

I thought that was a remarkable statement. In the last three years he has found some very wonderful friends that he doesn't have to pretend with.

You can't live in two different worlds. Both will become a farce and you will find yourself not belonging anywhere.

It is my prayer that you will be true to Christ. Then you will of necessity be true to yourself.

[/quote]

hey thanks that is one of the greatest posts ever :) he made a really good statement, that i can relate to. i am myself more so now than ever, and it often leaves me alone much of the time because i dont party or drink anymore, i am once my semester starts be myself again thanks again

I have to admit, as a grandma, I was pretty proud of him. He is really quite comfortable in his own skin. He likes people so they like him.

i can relate to him espiecally when i was in highschool..i had a lot of friends that i dont have anymore, or seldom...

the ones i was refering to in my original post are good close friends but they are sort of stray catholics, when we do hangout i express my viewsand i think i do a good job at that.. i do find i am by myself more often though now doing my own things

your grandson or son had a good statement

and my mom told me not long ago "be a player rather than on the bench :

You are in my thoughts and prayers and so are your friends.

[quote="pwlj_christ87, post:1, topic:309842"]
well i am catholic and love it.. i read the bible often and go to mass every week, i find great joy in my faith and i am striving to get better and better..

there is a group at my church that gets together, nights of columbus i believe.. about a year ago i wanted to join but to be honest i was worried about what my friends would say.. alot of my friends used to bash me telling me i was getting "all religious"... and i was afraid they thought i was a weirdo..

even though in my heart i believe . and hope my faith is strong.. often, out in the public of my friends, ahve a hard to evangelizing, explaining myself, etc. its like im no good at standding up for what i believe in, im gettinb teter at it but it think its because i always gave into peer pressure at a young age to fit in..
i have been going to mass with one friend..

anyways, anyone have tips for overcomign this sort of thing?? also, im guilty of stereotyping people in these kind of groups, which i feel bad for, i used to be a rebel is why.. but i think id find great joy in this, and i like the name lol:thumbsup:

[/quote]

One of my friends said, "wow, you are way too religious!" I just rolled with it. In a happy tone I said, "that's me! I'm a Jesus Freak, and havin a great time!" We both laughed, everybody seemed to relax. I think because i acknowledged that i was different, and that's OK, it helped them feel the same way. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.