Being mocked by friends

Hello all, I hope I am putting this in the correct place. I am finishing RCIA, at the Easter Vigil this Saturday.:smiley: I have had a very dark past and recently too, up until the end of summer last year. Since then I have been trying to do and be well and have become very involved with my parish and into Catholicism. I attend Mass a few times a week, go to any events and have changed the way I speak and act, to the point it is very noticeable.
I have made myself right with God, but now I get snide remarks. For instance, I received the Holy Oils at the Chrism Mass yesterday and I posted a picture on my Facebook page. I got a response that said " I am suprised when you entered it didn’t set the church on fire." I get comments like this often, and I think people see me as a hypocrite because of all I have done wrong, but I have changed and have repented but I can’t seem to be let alone with my past. How do you guys get past this? I know I have done wrong and am trying desperately but I just look like a big faker to everyone who knew the old me. I am just so frustrated and saddened, that I am only known by my bad behaviors. Any advice?

It sounds to me that they are envious of your change for the better. And also the fact that now they lost someone to share the bad stuff with.

There will always be some who will try to minipulate and control you and turn you into what they want you to be. It is sad to see the downside of human nature at work.

That is the bad side.

The good side is that Jesus said to rejoice. For anytime you suffer for your faith for him, he said rejoice for your reward would be great in his kingdom. So whether they know it or not, they may just well be your benfactors.

Be at peace.

Welcome to the church and the fullness of truth. God gives us the strength and the grace to live our lives according to His will. It may be time for you to stop using Facebook so much for social interaction and let go of some of the friends that drag you down. You will meet many good and holy people at church. I suggest joining a bible study and begin to make friends that share the same beliefs and try to live better lives with Jesus’s love. I also suggest volunteering in a ministry, whether it is an aid for a CCE class or think about joining the Knights of Columbus. Keep praying and asking for the gifts of the Holy Spirit and for the graces that we forget to ask for. You will be pleasantly surprised how much better your life will be and how much happier you will be. The best prayer to repel the devil is the Hail Mary.

Wishing you a Blessed Easter Tide.

“he who hath no sin, let him be the first that cast the stone.”

If they are anti-Christian, remember that when we are hated upon, are insulted, have all kinds of calumny against us, it was first done to Our Lord. Do not be disheartened, as that will be our cross to bear.

If they are Christian, then they should be ashamed of themselves for being so unwelcoming to you. Remember that everyone is not perfect and insecure people will always try to put you down.

God Bless,
MC

Thank you all, I needed to hear those verses, any others would be great! I need the hardship to build my strength, I am thinking it will build me up and make me that much stronger. I knew it wouldn’t be easy, like someone mentioned, our society is so horrible at times. Some are Atheists and I knew they would mock me for believing but I underestimated them using my past as a weapon on me.And I am certain, some want me to continue the way I was going because it makes it easier on them to not accept the wrong doings. It makes me doubt if I am changed. I feel changed, I act differently but what if my past is so bad that I can’t? I know that is what the devil wants me to think though. I have gone to Reconcilliation but do I soil the Catholic faith by what I have done in the past and now being a representative of the faith? I am not so worried about what they think but my concern of how others will portray religion because of what I HAVE done. I am not sure if I am even making sense:(

I do intend on getting involved, I need it since I still get tempted often and so I still need quite a bit of guidance. I have inquired about joining the choir, becoming a lector… I also plan on attending the Womens Christ Renews retreat in April. I mostly just use Facebook to share pictures with my twin daughters for my family who don’t live near by, that is pretty much it. I am not going to hide my joy from these people!

Get new friends.

Welcome home!!! I’m so happy for you that you have found the Catholic Church. I went through RCIA last year and it was the best decision I ever made. :slight_smile: Try not to let these people bother you. They probably mean well but they just don’t understand. Remember to love them for “they know not what they do”. You have Jesus as a friend now and he will help you through everything, just like he did before you even knew he was there! :slight_smile: God bless!!!

Take comfort in the fact that most saints have a past. I agree with the poster that stated your former associates are jealous and angry they no longer have someone to be complicit with. Welcome to the Church, and remember a great reward awaits those who suffer for the faith. Peter in one of his letter says tribulation means the Spirit of God rests on you.

I go through the same thing, especially with groups of people who knew me when I was into paganism. It makes me feel very alone as I do not yet feel a real sense of community with my church either (started attending last October and have yet to go thru RCIA). I feel stuck in the middle but I refuse to lower my morals or turn my back again on my faith in Christ. The devil will find any way he can to pull you back but you have to be strong. The first prayer I memorized that really seemed to make a difference and give me strength was St. Michael.

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. AMEN.

Know that God is with you and has heard your pleas - you are not battling alone!

Welcome to the church… It would be very easy to say that you should not mind them-- that these are just opinions and not the truth. But I know that snide comments can hurt. I am so sorry that you have read such comments from so-called friends about something that brings you joy and peace.

I pray that God gives you the grace and the strength you need to persevere in your faith. I pray that He leads you to new people and friends who can be a source of support and strength for you.

God bless you always…

Read about the life of Saint Augustine (the book is called The Confessions of Saint Augustine) - he had quite the checkered past and went on to become a Saint :slight_smile:

And Welcome to the Church :extrahappy:
I converted two years ago, and despite my struggles, am still glad I did.

Such things are bound to occur…I refer to it as the “Scrooge gets no credit” syndrome.
Yes - I know - Scrooge is fictional…but…
Even though the entire point of the story “A Christmas Carol” is how Ebenezer Scrooge changes, his name continually carries a strictly negative connotation.

Mostly the friends who are posting such comments to you probably don’t even realize that they are hurtful. It might be best to just take them in that spirit.

Anyway - there is an old saying that we have a choice…We can look foolish before men for the sake of God, or we can look foolish before God for the sake of men…Which is better?

Peace
James

Read Matthew 5:11. Rejoice when anyone ridicules you for becoming Christian.

If you want to keep some of the people that are commenting as friends, why not tell them their comments are hurtful to you? If they are not worth saying anything about the comments or they brush your feelings aside, then maybe its time to get some new friends that support your new life in the Catholic faith.

I started in the RCIA this year, although I have been attending Mass for almost a year before that. I applaud you for turning your life around. I experienced a similar turnaround (which is still in progress) after battles with depression, Agnosticism and apathy towards faith, and an unexemplary lifestyle. As for your so-called “friends” putting you down, pay them no heed. I also received some mockery from friends -and even family- for my decision to embrace Catholicism, but ultimately, it is your choice, (a sacred choice) and a matter between you and God.
Congratulations on almost completing the road to confirmation-and pray for those of us who still have a long way to go.

:extrahappy: Welcome home!!! Who cares what you have done in your past?! It gets wiped away and you start anew! How wonderful!!!

And my first thought in reading your post was of Luke 6:22-23
22 “Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of man! 23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

See? You’re totally doing something right. I’m so happy for you!

God Bless you and welcome home! Here is a portion of a homily given by Cardinal Timothy Dolan during Holy Week a few years ago.He drew comparisons between Peter and Judas,both of whom had betrayed our Lord.Jusdas,full of remorse for his actions did not trust in God’s mercy and forgiveness.He then hanged himself.Cardinal Doaln described this as “ruinous remorse”.Yet Peter,who also suffered remorse and shame did trust in God’s mercy and forgiveness.He experienced"resplendent remorse". The latter is what our Lord wants us to experience.Trust in His mercy and be joyful. I too have a past I am not proud of,this homily helped me turn the corner on accepting and trusting in God’s mercy.:slight_smile:

Welcome to the Catholic family. You have a beautiful heart and God knows what is there and soon when you receive the Eucharist he will dwell within you. How blessed you are.
As for your so called friends tell them that is the past and you don’t live there anymore.

You nor I nor anybody can change what we did in the past. Gratefully God gives us the chance to change our future. You have learned from your mistakes and you know that what you did is wrong. As you stated you feel that you are moving forward and have repented and that is the way to be in order to be at peace. If these individuals are making these remarks on FB, then they are not your friends and you should block them from your friend list.

I wish you the best, don’t let their remarks bring you down. No one is free from sin, hopefully the Holy Spirit touches them as it touched you.

Respond to that type of post as if they were joking. It’s possible that they were (at least some of them). And it may shame some into thinking seriously about what they’ve said.

Anyone who’s brazen enough to say “but I was serious” is not your friend, and it’s better you should know that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.