Being remarried in the Catholic Church

My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years, at 10 years we were wanting to renew our vows as our marriage had been turbulent at times. We are both going through RCIA and will be confirmed at the Easter Vigil on Saturday the 30th. Would we be able to be remarried in the church or can they renew the vows? After this conversion I would really like to have some sort of ceremony or acknowldgement by the Catholic Church. I will ask at my parish but am wondering if anyone has an idea of how that would work?

My friends, who were married for many years and then went through RCIA did have their marriage officially blessed in the church after confirmation. As far as I understand, however, the RCC does not really do "renewal of vows". They did not make this a big thing, however, just a small ceremony after mass, and a nice party at home later.

[quote="MaryRita85, post:1, topic:319748"]
My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years, at 10 years we were wanting to renew our vows as our marriage had been turbulent at times. We are both going through RCIA and will be confirmed at the Easter Vigil on Saturday the 30th. Would we be able to be remarried in the church or can they renew the vows? After this conversion I would really like to have some sort of ceremony or acknowldgement by the Catholic Church. I will ask at my parish but am wondering if anyone has an idea of how that would work?

[/quote]

You might ask whether a convalidation ceremony is appropriate. It may be that the Church already recognizes your marriage as a valid, sacramental marriage, or you may need to have your marriage convalidated.

In any case, there is no Church ceremony for the renewal of vows (because marriage vows of their nature are perpetual), but there is a solemn blessing of a couple on their anniversary in the Roman Ritual, and it is possible to do it either within Mass or outside of Mass.

In all likelihood you will have your marriage convalidated which is a full-fledged Catholic wedding, inside the Mass or outside the Mass, depending on what you and your priest decide. The Church recognizes your marriage as civilly valid but will want it to be made Sacramental, too. Husband and I had our marriage convalidated last month and opted for the wedding outside of Mass because he is not coming into the Church with me at Easter. Took all of 20 minutes but Father did the appropriate readings from the Rite of Marriage book, the Gospel reading, and a sweet but short homily. Then we stood before the altar with our two witnesses and said our vows. It was quite beautiful.

If you are making your Profession of Faith and being confirmed and receiving Communion at the Easter Vigil it means you are already baptized. That means that your present marriage is not only valid (otherwise you couldn't be received into full communion) but also sacramental.

You may certainly ask your Pastor to have a renewal of vows ceremony (yes, the Catholic Church does this). It has no effect on the sacrament of Marriage but it is a nice ceremony that many couples will have to mark certain occasions (my parents did on their 25th anniversary). In Canada you repeat exactly the same vows you did originally; in the US the renewal vows are slightly different and acknowledge that you are already married and are just reaffirming your vows.

You may also simply decide to ask for a Nuptial Blessing. If it were me I'd ask for both.

A convalidation is only necessary if your civil marriage is considered invalid by the Church, for example if one or both of you was divorced and had to have your previous marriage annulled. If that were the case you'd already know that it was going to happen.

[quote="HoosMommie, post:4, topic:319748"]
In all likelihood you will have your marriage convalidated which is a full-fledged Catholic wedding, inside the Mass or outside the Mass, depending on what you and your priest decide. The Church recognizes your marriage as civilly valid but will want it to be made Sacramental, too.

[/quote]

Their marriage is already valid and if both are baptized also already a sacrament. There is no convalidation of already valid marriages of converts. (there is no indication in the OP that there were prior marriages or other invalidating factors)

[quote="HoosMommie, post:4, topic:319748"]

Husband and I had our marriage convalidated last month and opted for the wedding outside of Mass because he is not coming into the Church with me at Easter. Took all of 20 minutes but Father did the appropriate readings from the Rite of Marriage book, the Gospel reading, and a sweet but short homily. Then we stood before the altar with our two witnesses and said our vows. It was quite beautiful.

[/quote]

Did your priest indicate why your marriage was invalid and required convalidation? Were their prior marriage(s) in your situation?

[quote="1ke, post:6, topic:319748"]
Their marriage is already valid and if both are baptized also already a sacrament. There is no convalidation of already valid marriages of converts. (there is no indication in the OP that there were prior marriages or other invalidating factors)

Did your priest indicate why your marriage was invalid and required convalidation? Were their prior marriage(s) in your situation?

[/quote]

Welp, now that you mention it, yes, I did have a previous marriage nullified. OK, nevermind, pay no attention to me. :rolleyes:

[quote="MaryRita85, post:1, topic:319748"]

[/quote]

On your anniversary, similar to a couple celebrating their 25th wedding, you can some sort of blessing or renewal of vows or commitment (I forgot the official name). Just ask the priest or parish office.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.