Belated vocations for men

Alexian Brothers, Signal Mtn, TN:

(18-55; if prev married, must have annulment & children age 18)

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=1417

Benedictine Monks, Valyermo, CA

(21-45; older indiv basis):

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=75

Brigittine Monks, Amity, OR

(18-40; older indiv basis; over 45 not usually considered):

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=77

Canons Regular of the Immaculate Conception, Santa Paula, CA

(brotherhood up to 45; priesthood up to 35):

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=72

Discalced Carmelite Friars, Los Angeles, CA:

19-35; up to 40 will be considered

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=357

Friars of the Sick Poor of Los Angeles, CA (new institute):

24-55; The maximum age for acceptance into the Formation Program is 55 years of age, residing in and actively engaged in a ministry within the Archdiocese of Los Angeles while remaining self-sufficient and in good health. Exceptions are made on an individual basis

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=392

Carmelite Hermits, Christoval, TX

19-40; individual basis afterward

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=142

Holy Transfiguration Skete, Eagle Harbor, MI:

18-35; older than 35 considered if “sufficient enthusiasm” is exhibited

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=352

Institute of Charity (Rosminians), West Peoria, IL:

18-40; older indiv basis

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=88

Missionaries of Mariannhill, Dearborn Heights, MI:

Simply says “high school+”

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=331

Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary, Gettysburg, PA:

21-49; Consideration of older “If applicant/prospect has some college education or has received a college degree”

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=383

Benedictines, Mt Angel Abbey, OR:

18-40; older indiv basis

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=377

Canons Regular of the Holy Cross, Carrollton, OH:

18-35; older indiv basis

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=410

Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, Denton, NE:

18-35; older indiv basis

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=89

Benedictine Monks, Oceanside, CA:

21-45; “Possible participation in claustral oblate program, but special restrictions and considerations must be made”

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=93

Servants of Charity (Guanellians), Chelsea, MI:

No age limit set; each man considered on individual basis

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=32

Society of the Oblates of Wisdom, St. Louis, MO:

No age limit stated

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=79

Sons of Our Mother of Peace, High Ridge, MO:

20-55; older indiv basis

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=1447

St. Martin de Porres Lay Dominican Community, New Hope, KY:

18+; “with discretion of community and due consideration”

irl.solutiosoftware.com/profile-view?id=139

Praise the Lord that there are so many vocations available for older men!!! Thank you for posting this!

I have to say, though, that my heart breaks a little bit to see so many age limitations! This is not the police academy where if you are past a certain age physical strength/agility MAY be an issue. Perhaps I say this because I am 46 yrs. old or young as I like to say :); though I am not a man! In the last 3 yrs, God has called me to do for others in ways I never have before. (called to serve) I feel that by placing age limitations, the brothers, the friars, the monks, the priests, etc are omitting those who received the call later in life. They may have SO MUCH to offer!
I’m sorry, Cloisters, to add my two cents. :stuck_out_tongue: I know, l know!!! Don’t kill the messenger!!! :slight_smile:
Peace and all good!

No killing the messenger.:thumbsup: Thanks be to God that you are working with grace for His glory.:wink:

Clear-mindedness, and no chance of developing a catastrophic illness in the future, are usually looked for. Although, there may be some who will accept someone with possible future maladies.

I’ve dealt primarily with the women’s enclosed orders. Men don’t have that many truly enclosed options available. My organization has proposed a few, but I am working primarily with our three groups who have definitive commitment. Anyone wishing further information can email me at conewfoundations@lycos.com

Blessings,
Cloisters

A co-worker that lost his wife a couple of years ago is leaving in a month to enter the seminary in Rome. He is 60 ish.

Lax 16,
That is awesome to hear that your 60ish yr old coworker will enter the seminary in Rome!! Sometimes our Lord takes the storms in our lives and provides us with a rainbow! :slight_smile:
I am sure there are many other men who feel called to the priesthood later in life!! I always hear that there is a shortage of priests.

Cloisters,
I understand what you mean about accepting men that are clear minded and not catastrophically ill; however, it may be hard to assess who will become ill. We just have to thank God for good health while we have it!

Last week, at daily mass, @ a parish I attend near work, the 87 yr. old priest ( yes, 87!!!) who takes his time, is very deliberate, and never misses a beat said, “The Lord be with you.” Immediately following our response, he forgot to say “The mass is ended.” He stood at the alter for a good minute. I wanted to say it so bad! :blush: The deacon who was co celebrating mass with him abruptly returned from helping the eucharist ministers clean the chalices, etc to the alter to say, “The mass is ended.”
A couple of hours later told my boss who is a parishioner what happened and that I felt so bad for Father J. He said, “Father J is pretty set in his ways and if it isn’t his line, he isn’t saying it.” “The deacon is lucky he came back and said that the mass is ended or you’d still be there!”:stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.