Belgian right-wing uses bikini-clad 19yr old daughter in campaign against Islam

A Belgian politician has risked causing uproar among Muslims after starting a ‘Women Against Islamization’ campaign featuring his 19-year-old daughter wearing a burka and a bikini.

Filip Dewinter, leader of the far-right Vlaams Belang party, uses a shot of his daughter An-Sofie Dewinter in the dark blue bikini for the political campaign. She is shown with a Muslim niqab covering her face and hair, whilst her entire body is on show, the lower half of the black garment pushed open. The poster has on it two panels, one asking ‘Islam or freedom’ and the other saying ‘you choose’.

I find it sad that Islam is becoming the political scapegoat for many right-wing politicians in the West, especially those who are seemingly ill-educated about Islam and the Qur’an.

link?

Link:
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2095862/Belgian-Vlaams-Belang-risks-Muslim-backlash-picture-daughter-burka-bikini.html

[LEFT]

Mr Dewinter claims Shariah4Belgium’s leadership said he should be killed for expressing his views.

[/LEFT]

So the choice is either extreme Islam which involves women covering completely up, or Western culture where it’s perfectly acceptable to show all your flesh.

You know what, I choose neither. Wonder what they’d say to that.

It’s not the most tasteful poster, but it certainly doesn’t merit death threats:

She said: ‘I’ve suggested (the poster) myself, I have learned to live with it but I have had everything up to death threats made at me.’

So, a bikini now represents the freedom of women? How the heck did that happen?

Well, if it’s Islam and your a woman you don’t get to choose…that’s what they would say!

If it’s the west, well, I guess they’ll just say, “Whateeever”.

I like the comments. How some poseters were saying that it was wrong for this woman to appear “near naked”. Or for the Fathewr to use his daugthers “body” this way.
I wouldn’t mind betting that those same posters would be the first on there complaining about it is the womans right to show her body, if this was about Christians complaining about “near naked” women

Age 19?

So, she has got it figured out way ahead of her elders.

There’s a middle line in all of this of simple modesty which doesn’t involve the full veil nor walking around naked.

“Not the most tasteful”?
While I might or not agree with Dewinter the poster is plain inflammatory.
I try to judge things like this by “turn about is fair play”. So how would we feel about a poster featuring a 19 yr-old in a sexy “Catholic schoolgirl” outfit with the legend “I’m Pro-Choice” or whatever?

I’d think that death threats against the 19-yr old Catholic schoolgirl would be just as wrong.

In America, we Christians save our death threats for 16-year old girls who sue to have prayers taken down from public school displays.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.