Belgium’s oldest athlete killed at his ‘euthanasia party,’ complete with Champagne toasts

lifesitenews.com/blog/belgiums-oldest-athlete-killed-at-his-euthanasia-party-complete-with-champa

Euthanasia in Belgium is becoming a celebration. Now, the nation’s 95-year-old “oldest athlete” was killed at his euthanasia party–complete with Champaign toasts for the about to be departed–and Belgian ethicists swoon. From the DH.be story

I don’t get how people don’t see how evil this is and how it will really hurt society.

It teaches that old people should kill themselves and teaches that young people don’t have to take care of the elderly.

One day, there is going to a former pro-euthanasia person who is elderly and afraid to die. But he/she will have no one who will want to take care of him/her.

This is really a scary trend.

I personally believe in euthanasia in certain limited circumstances, but I do not believe it should be a celebration. I realize this belief is contrary to both Jewish law and the Church, but I still hold it. If we euthanize our pets because we love them and do not wish them to suffer, I think we owe our family members the same humane treatment. Many on this Forum will disagree but, to me, it is a personal as well as a family decision that should be respected, even if one disagrees.

An affront to the sanctity of life to say the least.

=meltzerboy;11579326]I personally believe in euthanasia in certain limited circumstances, but I do not believe it should be a celebration. I realize this belief is contrary to both Jewish law and the Church, but I still hold it.

It is in Catholic teaching and I would earnestly request a reconsideration of this stance.

If we euthanize our pets because we love them and do not wish them to suffer, I think we owe our family members the same humane treatment. Many on this Forum will disagree but, to me, it is a personal as well as a family decision that should be respected, even if one disagrees.

That’s not comparable. Animal and human life are different in the scales of morality, and to suggest otherwise is dangerous.

It does not teach just old people should kill themselves, but anybody that maybe a liablity to others should kill themselves or be killed by someone else. :eek:

We may euthenize our pets precisely because they are not human, and to allow them to suffer deminishes us; the pets themselves have no rights per se. Humans do, and other humans have a duty towards them.

Do note: It is morally permissible to refuse or deny extreme measures taken to prolong a life. Think, to steal from Star Wars, about “more machine than man.” Often times, the measures taken to keep someone alive in suffering are exactly these extreme measures.

There is difference insurmountable, between killing someone and allowing them to die.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.