Belief in Jesus, Absolutely?

If you believe in Jesus at death and at Judgment, can you go to hell?

Yes. James 2:19 – “Even the demons believe – and shudder.”

Yes, you go to Hell by REJECTING Jesus, which is possible to do even if you believe in him.

Stephen is quite right, a person has to love Jesus not just believe in him…“If you love me, keep my commandments.”

And teeboy had a good point, for the devil knows Jesus for certain, and actual knowledge is a step above faith and yet do not love him.

What exactly do you mean by “believe in Jesus”?

Do you mean believe He is God and became man 2,000 yrs ago?
That His teachings should be obeyed? And if yes then why?
That He should be admired as a great historical figure?
Or some or none of the above but also something else?

No 1. Yes.
No 2. Yes. So that one may have eternal life.

According to many verses, it seems if you believe, you go to heaven…

**“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:13).

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).**

These seem pretty clear to me.

The devil believes in Jesus and is not saved.

Maybe it isn’t as simple as taking one or two verses out of context.

-Tim-

I think the use of the word “context” in your sentence is the key word that supports your argument but yet is often overlooked or ignored. I agree with you, and I think the usage of the word “may” in John 3:?? as well as the context further support your argument.

“Man does not live on bread alone but on every ??? that comes from the mouth of God…”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.