bells

Are the bells allowed to be rung at the Sanctus as well as the epiclesis at the OF Mass?

At the epiclesis and the two major elevations. The ringing is optional though – it’s purely up to the celebrant of the Mass.

www.SmellsBells.com

I don’t see why not. I don’t think it’s in the rubrics anyways, nor do I think it is in the EF. It can be claimed as long-standing custom, which it certainly is.

GIRM150. A little before the consecration, when appropriate, a server rings a bell as a signal to the faithful. According to local custom, the server also rings the bell as the priest shows the host and then the chalice.”

old.usccb.org/liturgy/current/GIRM.pdf

The ringing at the Sanctus was in the rubrics of the EF. Not all things can easily be claimed as custom, because the law often reprobates contrary immemorial customs.

“A little before the consecration”?

Wow, such precision. I guess you could ring bells anytime after the beginning of mass then.
But what can you do when there is no fixed structure to the mass anymore, so there’s no way to be specific, such as “at the quam oblationem”.

What?

GIRM 150 is fine as written. Your comment about “precision” is nonsense. All you are trying to do is degrade the OF Mass.

Someone has a legitimate question. It was answered with authority, a quote from the current GIRM. ** Done deal.**

I agree. “A little before the consecration” likely refers to the ringing at the epiclesis, since of course this is the prayer that occurs right before the institution narrative and consecration of the bread, and this goes right with tradition. I do wish the rubric would be more precise, but alas.

Well, it is imprecise. “A little before” could refer to practically anything from the Communicantes to the Quam oblationem. How is it nonsense? Not every comment made criticizing this or that point of the OF’s rubrics are fueled by malice.

Actually, the rubric has practically the same wording as the 1962 rubric

1962: “Minister paulo ante Consecrationem campanulæ signo fideles moneat.”

1970: “Paulo ante consecrationem, minister, pro opportunitate, campanulae signo fideles monet.”.

Ha! Excellent. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.