Beloved Pet to be Executed Tomorrow--Please Pray!

Prince George’s County, Maryland, has ordered a woman to kill her 20-year-old potbellied pig, Gwendolyn, or she will be removed from her home and euthanized by the county. When she bought Gwendolyn, potbellied pigs were NOT prohibited, but now the zoning board has ‘reinterpreted’ the law. At age 20, trying to relocate her would be the same as a death sentence (20 is quite elderly for a potbelly, and she would not survive the trauma).

They will come for her tomorrow unless this is overturned on appeal today. Pray that the hearts of the board members will be touched to act with mercy and compassion.

I’ve been praying the Rosary, several Novenas to St. Francis, and am fasting.

Miz

Our Father Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
Amen

joining with you Amen

**More government fools imposing their (IN)‘correctness’ on others!
Couldn’t they grandfather the pig??

**Where’s Peta & other animal rights groups???
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I’ll pray for the pig and for people to regain some measure of common sense. How cruel!

What the heck is wrong with this world? Grandfather the pig in and stop being so control happy. Big fuss is made over the White House Thanksgiving turkey. This town should do the same for the pig.

plz dont get peta involved
lol

This stinks. Pets not only are creatures of God but they’re considered property by our laws as well. Hope they find a way out of this.

I talked to my attorney, and he says residential zoning laws don’t usually allow grandfathering. They are prosecuting (persecuting!) on the clause that one cannot keep livestock or any other animal not “customarily” kept as pets. I’m not sure if they’re going for the “livestock” angle (potbellies are NOT livestock), or the “customarily kept as pets” angle. To deny ownership of potbellies because “you can’t own farm pigs” is like denying ownership of dogs because “you can’t own wolves!” They aren’t even the same species!

I’ve offered any expert help that she needs; I have a degree in Animal Science and am willing to call each and every member of the board and explain the differences in detail. But other than that, writing a “polite but guilt-inducing” letter to the governor and notifying local media, and asking my attorney for suggestions, all I can do is pray.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern!

Miz

Praying.

This is not livestock, this is a pet. This is also cruel to the pig AND to the woman. Miz, please tell us how this situation ends. My prayers to all.

[quote="Marfran, post:10, topic:181114"]
This is not livestock, this is a pet. This is also cruel to the pig AND to the woman. Miz, please tell us how this situation ends. My prayers to all.

[/quote]

As a person with 3 german sheperds...2 of them rescued...I'm appalled! Our pets are a part of the family. Sleep in our room...play with us...and are companions that are so loving.

Hiyas:)

The pig is already 20 years old. These people can't live with this one pig for another 2-3 years? Heartless:(:(

Our Father, which art in Heaven
Hollowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven

Give us this day, our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us

Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil

Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.