Benedict fiction (besides Citadel of God)

Besides Louis (awesome name :smiley: ) de Wohl’s Citadel of God. Marvelous book, but I have it already.

I would prefer Benedict, but it can be about Benedictines, in general. I read a ton, and would like to “dive into” the Bennies. I am aware of a series of “detective” books featuring a Benedictine monk as protagonist. Any good?

Anyway, any fiction book featuring Benedictines would be great.

A bit off topic (in my own topic :eek:): if there are a good non fiction books on Benedict (besides St Gregory the Great’s–I have that one), I would like to hear about those, too. :slight_smile:

Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose is a murder mystery set in a Benedictine monastery, and is written from the point of view of a young Benedictine from a different monastery. [As a bonus, if you read Italian (just going off your name), you can read it in the original language. :) ]

The movie based on the novel is to be avoided at all costs!

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:1, topic:208129"]
Besides Louis (awesome name :D ) de Wohl's Citadel of God. Marvelous book, but I have it already.

I would prefer Benedict, but it can be about Benedictines, in general. I read a ton, and would like to "dive into" the Bennies. I am aware of a series of "detective" books featuring a Benedictine monk as protagonist. Any good?

Anyway, any fiction book featuring Benedictines would be great.

A bit off topic (in my own topic :eek:): if there are a good non fiction books on Benedict (besides St Gregory the Great's--I have that one), I would like to hear about those, too. :)

[/quote]

Are you speaking of Koontz or Pargeter?

There's also "Father Joe." It's a memior (so not fiction), about one man's life long visits to a OSB abbey in England. It's by one of the singers in the Spinal Tap comedy. Great book. At one point he talks about having Stephen Hawkings sitting in front of him in his middle school math class. He then makes the claim that Hawkings' mathematical talent comes in part from the author's bullying of Hawking to get his math homework!

[quote="Hypatia, post:2, topic:208129"]
Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose is a murder mystery set in a Benedictine monastery, and is written from the point of view of a young Benedictine from a different monastery. [As a bonus, if you read Italian (just going off your name), you can read it in the original language. :) ]

The movie based on the novel is to be avoided at all costs!

[/quote]

Thanks! I have the book and have read it:o

I will read it again :)

[quote="Saint_Macarius, post:3, topic:208129"]
Are you speaking of Koontz or Pargeter?

There's also "Father Joe." It's a memior (so not fiction), about one man's life long visits to a OSB abbey in England. It's by one of the singers in the Spinal Tap comedy. Great book. At one point he talks about having Stephen Hawkings sitting in front of him in his middle school math class. He then makes the claim that Hawkings' mathematical talent comes in part from the author's bullying of Hawking to get his math homework!

[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Mary Fabyan Windeatt's St Benedict, Hero of the Hills follows along the similar line to that in Citadel of God (i.e., St Gregory the Great's Second book of the Dialogues), but spends more time on Benedict and less on the Goths.

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:1, topic:208129"]
I am aware of a series of "detective" books featuring a Benedictine monk as protagonist. Any good?

[/quote]

Oh, you mean the Brother Cadfael mysteries? The books I've read thus far are excellent. I'm still working my way through the series of books--the television series is also good. Here's a listing on Amazon, helpful for tracking down all the books. Medieval Mysteries: The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael

Thank you both:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.