Benedict XVI to seminarians

This is a great sermon by the Pope, I suggest all Seminarians and to be Seminarians to read it.

Looking at you, I again see proof of how Christ continues to call young disciples and to make them his apostles, thus keeping alive the mission of the Church and the offer of the Gospel to the world. As seminarians you are on the path towards a sacred goal: to continue the mission which Christ received from the Father. Called by him, you have followed his voice and, attracted by his loving gaze, you now advance towards the sacred ministry. Fix your eyes upon him who through his incarnation is the supreme revelation of God to the world and who through his resurrection faithfully fulfills his promise. [Christ, Word incarnate, is the perfect visible image of the invisible God.] Give thanks to him for this sign of favour in which he holds each one of you. [And it really is a high favor and great gift.]

The first reading which we heard shows us Christ as the new and eternal priest who made of himself a perfect offering. The response to the psalm may be aptly applied to him since, at his coming into the world, he said to the Father, “Here I am to do your will” (cf. Ps 39:8). He tried to please him in all things: in his words and actions, along the way or welcoming sinners. His life was one of service and his longing was a constant prayer, placing himself in the name of all before the Father as the first-born son of many brothers and sisters. The author of the Letter to the Hebrews states that, by a single offering, he brought to perfection for all time those of us who are called to share his sonship (cf. Heb 10:14).

wdtprs.com/blog/2011/08/benedict-xvi-to-seminarians/

Note things in brackets are Father Z's emphasis.

Yes, it was a great sermon! I also liked this part toward the end:

Under the guidance of your formators, open your hearts to the light of the Lord, to see if this path which demands courage and authenticity is for you. Approach the priesthood only if you are firmly convinced that God is calling you to be his ministers, and if you are completely determined to exercise it in obedience to the Church’s precepts.

It always confuses me how men who refuse to be obedient to the teaching of the Church or who even despise the Church go through seminary and want to become priests. This can't be healthy... for them or for the Church! Please seminarians and discerners: if you aren't going to love the Church and be obedient to her, reconsider your vocation!

[quote="KarrollKid04, post:2, topic:253038"]
Yes, it was a great sermon! I also liked this part toward the end:

It always confuses me how men who refuse to be obedient to the teaching of the Church or who even despise the Church go through seminary and want to become priests. This can't be healthy... for them or for the Church! Please seminarians and discerners: if you aren't going to love the Church and be obedient to her, reconsider your vocation!

[/quote]

amen to this brother.

[quote="catholictiger, post:3, topic:253038"]
amen to this brother.

[/quote]

Good morning catholictiger,

My wife and I went drop off our son Saturday at St. Joseph Seminary College. He was a freshman at La. Tech for engineering last year and decided this summer to pursue the discernment he has been in for the last four years.

What year are you in?

These words of Pope Benedict XVI are so reasuring to me, now that I have a son in the seminary. It shows me that the Church, all the way up is looking to the future, not dwelling in the past...refreshing!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.