Benedictine Abbeys in Ohio?

Does anyone have a list of Benedictine Monasteries in Ohio? Ive become interested because of an ad I saw of St. Andrew's in Cleveland. I was very interested at first but I see they kind of push a Slovak heritage type thing and I am Western European in heritage. It would not be such a big deal if that is their heritage and history and to remember it, but its like a thing thats pushed and made a priority. I figured that would be inconsequential to accepting people into a Catholic Monastery and that the importance would be where your heart is at.

My annoyance aside, but my interest being peaked, does anyone have a list or references to other Roman Catholic Monasteries in the NE Ohio area or just in Ohio....?

Thank you.

I think the closest to you other than St Andrew’s would be St Vincent’s in Latrobe, PA (osb.org has international listings).

Thank you.

KS

[quote="KShaft, post:1, topic:198675"]
Does anyone have a list of Benedictine Monasteries in Ohio? Ive become interested because of an ad I saw of St. Andrew's in Cleveland. I was very interested at first but I see they kind of push a Slovak heritage type thing and I am Western European in heritage. It would not be such a big deal if that is their heritage and history and to remember it, but its like a thing thats pushed and made a priority. I figured that would be inconsequential to accepting people into a Catholic Monastery and that the importance would be where your heart is at.

My annoyance aside, but my interest being peaked, does anyone have a list or references to other Roman Catholic Monasteries in the NE Ohio area or just in Ohio....?

Thank you.

[/quote]

Saint Andrew's Abbey is the only Benedictine Monastery in Ohio. There are other houses of other religious orders in N.E. Ohio such as the Franciscans and the Dominicans, if you're interested.

What are the differences?

Between the Orders? Many, many, and many! Also in N.E. Ohio are Apostles of Jesus, Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, FSSP, Paulines, and Brothers of Christian Initiation, Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, Capuchins, Jesuits, Brothers of the Holy Cross, Marianists, Society of the Precious Blood, Mercedarians, Maryknoll Fathers, Carmelites (O.Carm.), etc… Not all these are religious orders in the strict sense, but some are Societies of Apostolic Life.

The Benedictines are monks, while the Dominicans and Franciscans are friars in mendicant orders. The Dominicans emphasize scholastic learning and preaching while the Franciscans emphasize radical poverty. Neither the Dominicans nor the Franciscans are permanently attached to any single house, you can (and most likely will) be transferred around the province as your superiors deem is necessary.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg. You should google all of them to see what they are like.

I will add that if you want to stay in N.E. Ohio, a religious order may not be for you as most will not give you the privilege of saying where you will be (you go where they tell you). Perhaps the diocesan priesthood, where you know that you will end up at least somewhere in the diocese (most likely).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.