Benedictine Daily Prayer: How To Pray?

I recently purchased ‘Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary’ published by Liturgical Press.

I only have time to pray Lauds in the morning, no time for Vigils. In the LotH a person begins with the invitatory antiphon and Psalm 95 before proceeding with any prayer of the day; however, in BDP, the suggestion is to begin Lauds and recite Psalm 66 (67). So, I am a little confused how I should begin the day when praying Lauds with BDP.

Actually, in the LotH Psalm 95 is the “default” Psalm, but Psalms 100, 66 (67) and one other (I don’t have my LotH with me) may be used.

I always use 100. I love 66 (67), too though.

Welcome to CAF :cool:

The Psalms that can be used for the invitatory psalm are 95, 100, 64, or 24.

Here’s the note it gives in my LOTH book.

For Psalm 95 one may substitute psalm 100, 67, or 24. If any of these psalms schould occur in the office, Psalm 95 is then said in place of it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses, but I just want to clarify some things to ensure that there is no confusion regarding what I am asking:

In the Ordinary, for Lauds, after “O God, come to my assistance…” there is an italicized rubric which says: The following Psalm [66 (67)] is sung or recited daily at the beginning of Lauds without an Antiphon"

So, this seems to deviate from what is standard in the LotH. I realize that Psalm 95 is the “default” psalm when beginning the day, but something tells me that BDP is different.

There are no instructions concerning this in the front of the breviary, which is why I ask.

Psalm 67 is the default Benedictine psalm to use instead of Psalm 95. See chapters 12-13 of the Rule of St. Benedict.

This particular community of Benedictine monks which is St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville, MN who publish the Liturgical Press books seems to have perferred not to incoporate an antiphon with this particular psalm because there is already an aniphon that is repeated within this psalm (Let the peoples praise you O God, let all the peoples praise you) three times. This is the best answer that I can come up with.

Really? :eek: Learn something new…

My monastery rotates the invitatory…

[BIBLEDRB]Psalm 66[/BIBLEDRB]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.