Benefits you learn from Catholics and Protestants in this forum

With all the dividing issues, I like to look at the plus side of this forum.

For Protestants:

1. What benefits have you learn from Catholics here on this forum?

2. Did you learn some truths which were clarified from those distorted misconception you have about the Catholic Church from people who know little about the Church?

3. What historical information have you learn from this forum, such as Church Councils, formation of Scripture, etc?

4. What do you like to see Catholics in the forum do more to improve understanding?

For Catholics:

1. What have you learn from our separated brothers and sisters?

2. Was any issue clarified regarding two of their pillar doctrines, Sola Scriptura, and Faith Alone?

3. Did you find anything you they have in common between us?

4. What do you hope to see improve with the protestants here? Do you hope that they will understand our faith more regarding Catholic doctrine, dogmas, and perhaps even canon law (any canon lawyer in the house?

Fr. Corapi in his talks mention that the negative and positive discussion should always be discussed. I forgot the exact words. He often tell Catholics should follow the Protestants by reading the Bible more.

1. What benefits have you learn from Catholics here on this forum?

Well the Catholics here always have something for me to study more in depth than I would have otherwise and have given me much practice defending my faith. It’s much harder to defend something when the majority is against than when most are on my side.

1. Did you learn some truths which were clarified from those distorted misconception you have about the Catholic Church from people who know little about the Church?

Actually I haven’t learned much new about Catholics that I didn’t know from before. People never told me anything about Catholics before I went to MAss regularly years ago. As for what actually was new to me… finding out there are some Catholics out there who know what they believe and why. And I was surprised to learn the definition of “Immaculate Conception” when I first heard it.

1. What historical information have you learn from this forum, such as Church Councils, formation of Scripture, etc?

Actually the info I have learned that was new to me since I came here was on Protestant councils like the Synod of Dort and the Cambridge Declaration.

1. What do you like to see Catholics in the forum do more to improve understanding?

I’d just like them to be less hostile. It’s not helpful and it doesn’t make me want to be here when all there is to read is about how I’m led by Satan, or how I worship myself, or how I’m only in an emotional club and the like.

*Goes off to hunt for a Pie icon to throw a pie at the next person to call me my own Pope…

I would agree with you on the having Catholic less hostile. I am guilty as charge to be one of those. Despite my short comings, I hope to improve with the help of God’s grace. I also think Protestants here should be less hostile and more understanding rather than say, “You are interpreting it wrong” or say, “its unbiblical” because its not stated in the Bible. I think many of the new members (non-Catholic Christians) here (not you) need to know what the Church teachings. I noticed some of the newer members make erroneous claims that the CC teaches error. I do not appreciate that because the CC doesn’t. It’s been preserved. If the CC had not been preserved then you would not have the Bible you see today. You probably could see Gnostic gospels in our Bible if the Church had not acted what is canonical and what isn’t.

They are Christians who have a genuine love and zeal for our Lord.

1. Was any issue clarified regarding two of their pillar doctrines, Sola Scriptura, and Faith Alone?

Yes. Some of the issues are just differences in semantics (i.e. justification vs. salvation)

1. Did you find anything you they have in common between us?

Yes. Although they worship in a different way, they are still worshipping the same Lord that we are.

1. What do you hope to see improve with the protestants here? Do you hope that they will understand our faith more regarding Catholic doctrine, dogmas, and perhaps even canon law (any canon lawyer in the house?

I would like to see more charity on the part of both Catholics and Protestants. Less hostility like “Catholics worship Mary” or “Protestants follow Satan”. None of that is true, and will not help us to understand each other.

Fr. Corapi in his talks mention that the negative and positive discussion should always be discussed. I forgot the exact words. He often tell Catholics should follow the Protestants by reading the Bible more.

Fr. Corapi is right!

I have found these forums very beneficial in learning how Catholics are perceived by non-Catholics.

I never knew people thought we worshipped Mary and statues, and I never knew that some people rely only on the Bible and not traditions.

I guess I led a sheltered life as far as religion goes, being brought up Catholic, and going to Catholic schools, and also not talking much religion at all with friends and family who are non-Catholics.

I love hearing from all other religions in this section of CAF, as it is interesting to see how others think, and it also makes me think too about my own faith. I guess it strengthens my faith, as some people here have very powerful arguments supporting their own faith.

Thank you to everyone that posts here.

For Catholics:

They have a great zeal for the love of the Lord Jesus Christ, and they clarify some issues in some of their doctrines.

1. Was any issue clarified regarding two of their pillar doctrines, Sola Scriptura, and Faith Alone?

There is charity with Sola Scriptura and Some of Faith Alone though I still disagree with both doctrines as unbiblical.

They worship the same God as we do, and most of them do believe in the Trinitarian God.

1. What do you hope to see improve with the protestants here? Do you hope that they will understand our faith more regarding Catholic doctrine, dogmas, and perhaps even canon law (any canon lawyer in the house?

I hope to see less hostile posts by both Catholics and Non-Catholic Christians. I also like to see Protestant try to understand and not force their belief upon us that claiming that we are wrong when we ask saints and Mary to pray for us. We have given tons of explanation why we ask for their prayers, because we don’t think the saints are dead. Anyone who dies in Christ, are more alive in heaven. God is the God of the Living. Those saints are closer to God than us, for we are still finite.

I agree with him 100%

to mannyfit75 : the first questions for protestants i can’t answer because i am a cradle catholic. the next questions i can answer 1) a lot specially from the converts, from them i have learned about their faith, our differences and similarities. 2) no, this are mayor differences. i just respect there point of view in relation to those issues i just hope they respect mine. this is when converts teach me a lot. i can answer this issues using my catholic belief only. the converts can answers does using two point of view. :slight_smile: 3) the believe in god, trinity. the bible. an when it come to going to heaven we are all sailing in the same boat:thumbsup: 4) just respect for each others points of view. the same way i want to understand there doctrines i want them to understand mine. on your father corapi comments I TRULY AGREE.:slight_smile: ST. JUDE PRAYERSMay the Sacred Heart of Jesus be Adored, Glorified, Loved & Preserved throughout the world, now & forever. Sacred Heart of Jesus, please pray for me. Saint Jude, Worker of Miracles, please pray for me. Saint Jude, Helper of the Hopeless, please pray for me. Amen."
:slight_smile:

Protestants have produced some very smart and interesting theologians (Karl Barth, Wolfhart Pannenburg, Paul Tillich, Alister McGrath) whose ideas contain a great deal of truth.

Sola scripture means Christianity must be biblical and I have no problem with that. Saved by faith means one must believe in God rather than accepting a set of intellectual facts or logical propositions.

There is a lot in common, especially in the theories of justification.

Hopefully Protestants will better understand Catholic contemplative traditions and their riches, that the heritage of religious art and iconography is not idolatry, to an extent the need to not simply see God as ‘totally other’ but also knowable (but only in a dark way) through creatures and the created cosmos, the reason why sacraments are important, and also the importance of the Church Fathers in the formulation of practice and doctrine beyond simply what is literally in the Bible.

Great thread, Manny.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here on this forum. Far too addictive I tell you!!!:smiley: Makes for LOTS of great discussions with my husband (and friends) and pushes me to study issues I just never thought of before. One thing I love about this forum is that is such an active forum and I find people are so devoted to Christ and really take their faith seriously. I LOVE that! I also love that most people on this forum really know why they believe what they believe. Very refreshing. For the most part I have found people quite charitable, for which I am thankful. The reason I continue visitting this forum so often is that I really appreciate gaining an understanding of why people believe what they believe. I appreciate thinking outside of the box, rather then fitting into the box that many around me may prefer me to be within.

LOTS! It really helps to UNDERSTAND why people believe what they believe rather then saying for example “Catholics worship Mary” etc. Actually it has provided some very interesting conversations with friends who have never considered various points for the various theological positions. It has also helped me see the many similarities…of course in the process many differences have been highlighted as well. But it is an interesting process to be part of and it has sharpened and honed my own faith.

I would just appreciate continued patience and openess and a “listening” (understanding) spirit towards non-catholic Christians on this board. You are all great! I know I’m often just lurking and don’t post that much, but I do enjoy and appreciate all that you post. May we all continue striving to be more like Christ and to know Him better.

“It is far better to be a good Protestant than a bad Catholic”
-Fr. Corapi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.