Best answers to why Catholics pray/worship Mary

Bunch of my Christians friends point out that scripture forbids this yet Catholics all know its about tradition. Any better answer than that???

My answer would be Catholics do not worship Mary, and I would challenge that if you are a Catholic by the book you would know that.

Could you explain. What do you mean our prayers to Mary is all about tradition?

My Mom and Dad are both with the Lord. I’ll someday be there as well. I pray asking the BVM to pray for my conversion toward holiness and to pray for me at the hour of my death.

And, I petition her in prayer as I meditate on the events that she shared with Christ.

We don’t worship Mary. We honor her. The Church places a distinction:

[LIST=1]
*]Latria - Worship of God
*]Hyperdulia - High honor of Mary
*]Dulia - Honor of the Saints
[/LIST]

As for way we pray to her, is that so she can pray for us to God. It’s like when a Christian asks another Christian to pray for them. You wouldn’t tell them “No, go straight to God!”. But also, what better person to ask to pray for you then the mother of Jesus!

And wouldn’t it be said if you just talked to your father, and not the rest of your family? Same thing with Mary and the saints. We DO pray to God but with pray to them too.

You have to address the issue of interpreting the Scripture without the light of tradition and the Church. Protestants do not have the background to discern any of it. They are unqualified.

It’s funny, protestants accept Jesus as their brother, and God as their father… but firmly take the stance that Mary could never be their mother.

If they are talking about worship, then they should know that no worship happened in the Bible without a sacrifice attached to it. They can look that up for themselves. Catholics do not make sacrifices to Mary, therefore, Catholics do not worship her.

As to praying to Mary, again, that is not worship. To merely pray to someone is not to worship them. Worship requires a sacrifice and simple prayer does not entail sacrifices.

And traditions do not dictate Catholic doctrine/dogma. Only Sacred Tradition, which is the teachings of Christ and the Apostles do that. The Bible is a part of Sacred Tradition. If they doubt that then they know nothing of real history.

Good point! :yup:

Hey Thanks…
That is the best answer I have as well, ignore the bible and focus on tradition. The unwritten word of God.

I don’t think you should ignore the bible at all when trying to convince a Protestant about anything to do with the Catholic church. I would rather show them how that the Bible itself lends to this tradition. They are inseparable. Since almost all Protestants reject tradition as an authority at all, the only way to convince them to even open their mind to the Tradition is to show them that Tradition is firmly grounded in scripture.

QUOTE=KenChute;8747498]Hey Thanks…
That is the best answer I have as well, ignore the bible and focus on tradition. The unwritten word of God.

You misunderstood me. No need to trip over yourself to be sarcastic. Tradition goes way back through the Old Testament. Mariiology is closely melded to salvation history and the prophets, but, one needs background to understand it. If you just want to make smart remarks, I don’t think you are going to find the answers you are looking for.

Are you distinguishing the difference between tradition (small t) and Sacred Tradition?

Non-Catholics would certainly confuse the two.

scborromeo.org/ccc/index/t.htm

Tradition, 81

apostolic, 75-79
deposit of faith contained in Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition, 84, 97
of faith and prayer, 2651 (see also Prayer)
liturgy as a constitutive element of, 1124
one and the same content of, 174
oral tradition in the formation of the Gospels, 126
and Sacred Scripture, 80-83, 95, 97, 113, 120

Ceil…

Hey don’t get all worked up and defensive, your first answer was much better no problems wit it, your second was not a solid argument to make to a biblical based Christian

You pray asking the Mother of God to pray for you - not as if she is the actual agent by which any effects are effected, which is through the Holy Spirit. You don’t (or shouldn’t) pray to Mary directly, as you would pray to God, as if she was the one to answer your prayer and act on in and effect it, and wasn’t just adding an additional (and most powerful, due to her unsurpassed holiness) voice of prayer in chorus with your own - that would cross the line from hyper/dulia to latria.

It’s no different than asking a friend to pray for you, or “prayer requests” (so common amongst Protestants as well): is asking a friend to pray for you worshiping that friend?

The only difference being that a living person is alive in the material (and hopefully spiritual) world, while the physically dead righteous Saints are alive in the spiritual world alone, alive with the Lord.

The mental attitude of reverence towards the Virgin is supposed to be one of hyperdulia (over-veneration), towards the Saints one of dulia (veneration), and towards the Blessed Trinity one of latria (adoration, worship). In some people, these mental attitudes and internal leanings become confused, and I do not doubt that some Catholics do worship Mary in everything but name (especially very, albeit misdirectedly, pious, poorly-catechized cradle Catholics immersed in folk traditions), giving her a level of veneration that blurs in to the adoration reserved to God alone.

Yes, correct. Thank you for clarifying my poor explanation.

We ask Our Blessed Lady for her intercession.We never worship her.We respect her and love her for being the mother of Jesus Christ but we do not worship her.

Perhaps it would be useful for you to go through each prayer that we pray to Our Lady asking her for her intercession so as your Christian friends may be able to understand a little more.

In the Memorare we ask for Our Lady’s intecession…that she pray for us on our behalf and our intentions.

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

In the Hail Mary we ask Mary to PRAY for US ( as we are sinners).She intercedes on our behalf.Our Blessed Lady has her prayers heard and answered above all ours that si why we ask for her intercession.

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

In the Hail Holy Queen she is our ADVOCATE she prays for us on our behalf as our advocate.

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, hail, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve: to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus, O merciful, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary! Amen.

I hope this helps

God bless

OK solid information. We don’t pray nor worship Mary we ask that she prays for us.

The biblical Christian argument why not simply pray directly to God and not have statues of Mary throughout a Church in worship. But your information helps next time I discuss such with my friends.

:thumbsup:
God bless

The biblical Christian argument why not simply pray directly to God and not have statues of Mary throughout a Church in worship.

We do pray directly to God but as another poster already pointed out, even Protestants ask others to pray for them in times of need IN ADDITION to praying to God. James said that “For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.” Who is more “just” than a saint, particularly Mary?" The saints are only dead in body. They are as much part of the “Body of Christ” (or even more so because they are in Heaven) than those among the physically living.

To the second part of your sentence. The statues are not throughout the Church “in worship.” Statues and paintings in Church or in our homes are little different than having pictures of your departed mother, father, or grandparents (pictures on stained glass windows were traditionally means to teach the gospels to the illiterate, but that is a different story) . They give us consolation and warmth. I find it helpful to have a picture in front of me when I pray. As long as you know the picture or statue is not “God” but ust a visual representation, you are not worshipping it.

As far as Mary is concerned, we don’t worship Her. We show devotion and venerate her for her intercession with her Son. But everything directed at Her is not “at” Her but to Christ “through” Her.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.