Best Apologetic Book?

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for the best Catholic apologetic available (aimed at Christians not in the Catholic Church). It’s especially important the book deals with papal authority (at the very least) and papal infallibility. Any suggestions?

-Justin

Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians” by Karl Keating, this book is still the best.

At 360 pages, one can think this is fairly comprehensive and one can research further points usually on the internet with a number of websites on Catholic Apologetics.

Great suggestion!

Upon this rock by Steve Ray. He also has another book but I cannot recall the title at this time.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I need to pick up this book myself. Thanks for this.

What about The Father’s Know Best by Catholic Answers’ own Jimmy Akin? Nothing like showing non-Catholics what the earliest Christians believed about the papacy to open their eyes!

I’d second the suggestion for Catholicism and Fundamentalism if you’re looking at non-Catholic Christians.

Another good one is Kreeft and Tacelli’s Handbook of Catholic Apologetics. I’d say it’s geared more towards unbelievers, but there are still plenty of things in there that would address many of the Protestant objections to Catholicism as well.

The ccc
gospel of john
this website

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!

Wow…where to begin?

I like the San Juan Catholic Seminars beginning apologetics series. It’s very reasonably priced and covers a lot.

John Martignoni is working on one that should be terrific (Bible Christian Society) but I’m not sure when it will be published. You can find each chapter so far in his latest Newsletters which are something worth subscribing to.

These, along with so much of what everyone else has suggested should go a long way to helping with this project. :thumbsup:

I really like Mark Shea’s book By What Authority?: An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition

I don’t remember if it gets specifically into papal infallibility, but it is one of the best books on the role of Tradition I’ve read.

Definitely in my top 10 for apologetic resources.

Was it this one maybe? Crossing The Tiber

Yes…:thumbsup:

And he also has The Papacy Guide…which covers the papacy.

A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God’s Covenant Love in Scripture by Scott Hahn

Essential Catholic Survival Guide by the Catholic Answers Staff

Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots by Scott Hahn

It would help to know what kind of Christians you are thinking of. The more venomous anti-Catholics would benefit from Keating’s book. Others may fit Shea’s little book, Catholicism by Fr Barron, or Steve Ray’s, or any of a dozen Scott Hahn books.

:thumbsup:

I Second this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.