Best apologetic technique

There would be no need for sermons, if our lives were shining; there would be no need for words, if we bore witness with our deeds. There would be no pagans, if we were true Christians.
St. John Chrysostom

I do think this is our best apoologetic technique.

I’m going to take St John’s advice, no need for words (well here anyway) until Easter.

That’s not carte blanche to flame me while I am away by the way…
:wink:

I think it was St. Francis who said that one must spread Gospel always and use words when necessary.

[quote=MarySon]I think it was St. Francis who said that one must spread Gospel always and use words when necessary.
[/quote]

St Francis was right for his time as most if not all were Catholic Christians. Nowadays if you do not always use words (To witness the Onr True Church) as well as actions, no one will know that it is the Catholic in you that makes you live a certain way.

[quote=Gunner]St Francis was right for his time as most if not all were Catholic Christians. Nowadays if you do not always use words (To witness the Onr True Church) as well as actions, no one will know that it is the Catholic in you that makes you live a certain way.
[/quote]

Well Saint Franics words are still applicable it just that it is always necessary to use words in evangelical dominant america.

It doesn’t have to be words, exactly. I think it just needs to somehow be possible for someone to realize you are Chrisitan. I mean, you can be a super joyful and wonderful person at work, but if no one knows you are Christian, it is a less powerful witness in some ways.

All I know is that when I started wearing a cross on Fridays, the response around me changed. I tend to think it is the visible nature of the sign that made the change.

Not that I am the most super joyful person or anything…I wish I were, though!:o

“All I know is that when I started wearing a cross on Fridays. . .”

Hi, Pug!

I like your post. You sound quite joyful to me! Anyway, I’m just wondering, do you wear a cross or a crucifix? It’s all wonderful, of course, but a few days ago an elderly cashier told me, “I’m Catholic, too!” She pointed to the crucifix around my neck, then drew from underneath her uniform her own crucifix and St. Anthony medallion. It gave me a nice feeling, warm and cozy.

God bless.

Hello yves!

I wear a cross that my mother-in-law gave me. I don’t own a pendant crucifix. I have a crucifix pin, though, that was sent to me in a solicitation letter. I can’t bear to throw those letters out without checking them. I wear the pin sometimes in lent.

You know, I would seem more Catholic if I were to wear a crucifix instead of the cross.:hmmm:Oh no! Now this is going to lead to me wearing a crucifix on Wednesdays (another good penitential day).

I know what you mean about unexpectedly finding a brother or sister somewhere. A nice fuzzy!

‘Nowadays if you do not always use words (To witness the Onr True Church) as well as actions, no one will know that it is the Catholic in you that makes you live a certain way.’

i disagree completely. i think his words are at least as appropriate now as they were in his day. we are inundated incessantly with the brightest and best gadget - the slickest sales promo - the newest gizmo that we absolutely have to have immediately. we’re invited to parties that turn out to be amway meetings (no offense to amway folks - i’m sure you agree that bait and switch is deplorable). we get pop ups on our computers trying to sell us pop up blockers. everyone has an agenda. everyone has a REASON behind why they do ANYTHING for you. there’s ALWAYS a string attached.

until you come to Jesus’s words.

love.

Jesus taught us to love. to love everyone - even our enemies. to bless everyone - even those who hate us. to love freely, with no strings.

i think one of the best actions a true follower of Christ can commit is to do something kind for someone - and NOT tell them why.

not require them to feel obliged to anything in return for the blessing that God reigns down on all of us, sinners and saints, just and unjust, everyday, free of charge or sermon.

[quote=jeffreedy789]‘Nowadays if you do not always use words (To witness the Onr True Church) as well as actions, no one will know that it is the Catholic in you that makes you live a certain way.’

i disagree completely. i think his words are at least as appropriate now as they were in his day. we are inundated incessantly with the brightest and best gadget - the slickest sales promo - the newest gizmo that we absolutely have to have immediately. we’re invited to parties that turn out to be amway meetings (no offense to amway folks - i’m sure you agree that bait and switch is deplorable). we get pop ups on our computers trying to sell us pop up blockers. everyone has an agenda. everyone has a REASON behind why they do ANYTHING for you. there’s ALWAYS a string attached.

until you come to Jesus’s words.

love.

Jesus taught us to love. to love everyone - even our enemies. to bless everyone - even those who hate us. to love freely, with no strings.

i think one of the best actions a true follower of Christ can commit is to do something kind for someone - and NOT tell them why.

not require them to feel obliged to anything in return for the blessing that God reigns down on all of us, sinners and saints, just and unjust, everyday, free of charge or sermon.
[/quote]

We agree to disagree then, as you would have people stay ignorant of the One True Church and feel around in the dark with no sacraments to assist them. How cruel. Life is tough, we need Christ and his Church to get through the narrow gate.

Actions of course are important but without the back up of words, they can also be meaningless. Many humanist do good works. Christ says he who listens to you, listens to me, he who rejects you, rejects me and the one who sent me. If you LOve me, keep my commandments. One of these was the GREAT COMMAND (Mt 28), to teach ALL til the end of time.

If you mean word only with NO ACTIONS, I do agree. As a faithful Catholic however, both must go hand in hand. I often feel the people who oppose words, are slightly embarassed to be Christians. I could be wrong though. i believe in this day and age we must boldly wear our Catholicism on our sleeeves, so all can see.

My thoughts exactly. People should not be reticent or embarrased in practicing their faith, and **sharing ** it to the best of one’s abilities. This is exactly the essence of Matt 28, to **teach ** all nations. What is the point of teaching, if it does not make use of words, combined with actions.

Gerry :slight_smile:

if we don’t share what we believe when the time comes out of shame for our faith, that would be wrong.

if we love people without shoving our views down their throats, that would be great.

i still agree with francis of assisi. we’ll have to agree to disagree, as you’ve said.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.