Best Book defending the Catholic faith

I am sure topics like this have been posted numerous times. But what is your opinion on this. I am looking for one that covers basically every issue possible in regards to explaining Catholic issues in rebuttal to protestant falsehoods. I know Catholicism and Fundelmentalism is a popular one but I’m not sure that’s what
I’m looking for.

Three-volume set of RADIO REPLIES by Fathers Rumble and Carty.

I am a little concerned that those you state were written so long ago. Are you sure that they address all issues of today?

Biblical Defense of Catholicism by Dave Armstrong, re-published by Sophia Institute Press.

It’s all biblical material in that book, with quotes from many Protestant scholars and exegetes. More biblical argumentation than Keating’s original book, which is still very good, though dated. Armstrong’s book is the most complete I’ve seen, but there are others like Scriptural Catholicism by Kellmeyer and ScriptureCatholic.com by Salza. There is another recent book I can’t remember the title, saw it at Borders / BN…

Phil P

[quote=hoser]I am a little concerned that those you state were written so long ago. Are you sure that they address all issues of today?
[/quote]

How about combining it with the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

The Rumble and Carty book set, according to me, is overflowing with rock solid information to questions people could ask you even nowadays.

The CCC is so lucid in its explanation of the Catholic Faith, that’s hard to quote only partially from any section of this catechism. The setup is done so well that everything is easy to understand, even for a beginner.

Thoroughly knowing the contents of these books should give you confidence to defend our Faith.

And then there’s always the Thomas Aquinas’ Summa *
Theologica!
:eek: *

These are the best suggestions I could come up with. Hope someonelse will suggest just the right book you’re looking for.

As times change, so will questions. I think you constantly need to update your knowledge according to all the moral dilemmas that comes with current times to become an effective apologist.

I wish you well in this quest!

Steve Kellmeyer’s

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6040000/6046802.gif
Bible Basics ($20.00) in 8x11 format.

Bible Basics: An Introductory Study Guide to the Catholic Faith
campusi.com/bookFind/asp/bookFindPriceLst.asp?prodId=1930314000
This is the one I walk any prot through.
Remember, the Catechism for a prot (so he says) is the Bible. This book addresses them in that way, along with the Church fathers.

Here’s a clue:
BEFORE you enter into an apologetic encounter!

1. Make sure the person has an inquiring mindset.
    Ie (why do you want to know?)
  2. Find out their true objection(s)
    Now, these are the objections that, if resolved, they would consider the True Church of Christ.
    You MUST get them to commit to a very limited specific set, and stay with it. No meandering.
    “What exactly is your PRIMARY objection to the Catholic Church.” (it’s unbiblical is not specific enough.) Must have “for Instance”
  3. Ask them questions, don’t just play defense. No one scores on defense unless the other guy fumbles.
    “If I could resolve this question, and get your agreement, would you persue a real interest in the Church?”

In addition, some of the early tapes by Tim Staples on Mary are terrific! They really set a prot to thinking.

g

[quote=TNT]Steve Kellmeyer’s

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6040000/6046802.gif
Bible Basics ($20.00) in 8x11 format.

Bible Basics: An Introductory Study Guide to the Catholic Faith
campusi.com/bookFind/asp/bookFindPriceLst.asp?prodId=1930314000

[/quote]

No Way!! That book looks so, I don’t know :o, I laughed when I saw it!! I’ve gotta get it, you recommend it so highly, but the cover is so “Leave it to Beaver”!! And it looks so non-threatening.

This is another “old” book, but it’s so in print and moderately popular. It’s by St. Francis de Sales (a Doctor of the Church, yes) “The Catholic Controversy”.

You can get it from Amazon, Tan Books, it’s readily available. Probably not gonna find it at your local Christian bookstore though.
It is the compilation of many many letters that St. Francis wrote to the Calvinist citizens of the Geneva area. So de Sale’s writings are more directed for the Reformed community. So, in that aspect, it’s tailor made for more Presbyterian types (like, me). And it’s enough to make a person really be like :hmmm: about things they took for granted, like the Bible and the nature of the Church, and how God authorizes men to be ministers in that Church.

“Modern” Catholic apologetics in action ~400 years ago!!

[quote=Reformed Rob]g No Way!! That book looks so, I don’t know :o, I laughed when I saw it!! I’ve gotta get it, you recommend it so highly, but the cover is so “Leave it to Beaver”!! And it looks so non-threatening.
[/quote]

** It was Crite in 1999. 5 years ago.**
This is another “old” book, but it’s so in print and moderately popular. It’s by St. Francis de Sales (a Doctor of the Church, yes) “The Catholic Controversy”.
It was crited in 1680AD but one of the very best also.
“Modern” Catholic apologetics in action ~400 years ago!!

You guys are missing another oldie but goodie its over 100 years old but still relevant (of course its new by Saint Francis De Sales Standards).
**[size=2]Faith of Our Fathers[/size]
**by Cardinal Gibbons

This is really the first major catholic apolgetic by an american catholic. As it deals with the many misconceptions by the predominantly american protestant community. Well of course not much have changed since the 1800’s the same charges are thrown our way today by american protestants. I see this work influncing all the newer catholic apologetic works that came after it. Most protestant converts of the last 20 years have credited this book as a major force in their converstion. Scott Hahn and Tim Staples to name a few.

[quote=hoser]I am sure topics like this have been posted numerous times. But what is your opinion on this. I am looking for one that covers basically every issue possible in regards to explaining Catholic issues in rebuttal to protestant falsehoods. I know Catholicism and Fundelmentalism is a popular one but I’m not sure that’s what
I’m looking for.
[/quote]

I suggest the entire set from San Juan Catholic Seminars. It doesn’t get much better or comprehensive than that. I have 'em all.
catholicapologetics.com/

I would HIGHLY recommend Karl Keating’s Catholicism and Fundamentalism. This book was very helpful to me in my conversion. Keating covers all of the main misunderstandings that Fundamentalists have about the Catholic faith and explains them in a very clear, logical manner, always pointing to Scripture and Tradition. This book is essential for explaining the Catholic faith to Protestants!

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0121.html?L+scstore+krkk7168ff053a05+1108679281

I recommend a good Catholic bible with commentary and cross-referencing. Nothing like the Word of God itself in context.

Born Fundamentalist, Born-Again Catholic
the author.(David Currie). is a convert…He writes in a diary format as he approaches the differences in his sect and Catholics.

This is an Excellent Book
Read many of the 4-* reviews here:
amazon.com/

More on
Born Fundamentalist, Born-Again Catholic
A review, 1 of about 80:

I kept saying “Amen” as I read this book, November 3, 2002
Reviewer: A reader
This book tells my story! I was raised fundamentalist but became Catholic through the grace of God. As I read this book, I kept thinking that I could have written it myself. All of the misconceptions and prejudices with which I was raised were presented, and the Catholic truth was presented to counter them. I like the way that Currie writes in an easy-to-read style which effectively dispels the myths with which many of us fundamentalists were raised. This is an absolute “must read” for anyone raised fundamentalist who is considering Christ’s Church. This is also a great gift for any of your fundamentalist friends if you are Catholic.

and one more:

Wonderful!, October 26, 2002
Reviewer: A reader
A gentle “must read” for any Catholics puzzled by the seeming animosity shown by some of their Fundamentalist friends. Ordered several more copies for my family. It was loved and is being much quoted by all. David B. Currie… many thanks!

Hands down; **The Faith of Millions **by Rev. John O’brien;

My second choice would be The Catholic Controversy by St. Francis de Sales.

All those books are good. Also, the Baltimore catechism is good for learning the basics. Especially the fundamentals, that Jesus founded a Church upon Peter and the apostles and that He required that we believe and accept what that Church teaches. Protestants don’t start out with Jesus, but with “the bible alone”, a teaching of Martin Luther, and they start out with other presuppositions, such as a tendancy toward salvation by faith alone, and the presuppostion that we should not ask the saints to pray for us and we should not honor them in prayer, and that God’s word is in scripture alone. All these presuppositions come from Luther and Calvin. Then Protestants have been taught all their life bible verses which seem to support those ideas, and they try to build a gospel upon their understanding of it. In other words, they don’t start out with Jesus, but with the doctrines of Luther and Calvin, (most Protestants don’t even know their fundamental beliefs come from Luther and Calvin) but they actually think their doctrines come from the bible.
The Roman Catechism, or the Catechism of the Council of Trent is indispensable for answering most Protestant objections, especially prayer to the saints, and since the teachings in it are infallible, we know it can be trusted to be without error.

Even though it’s not a book, but a tape recording, I’d highly recommend Scott Hahn’s conversion story. The tape he made back in 1987 or 88 has become legendary. Come to think, it IS a book. “Rome Sweet Home.”

How about the Bible. :slight_smile:

I’m in RCIA.

I just bought a new book that I haven’t started reading yet.

Why Is That in Tradition” by Patrick Madrid. Published by Our Sunday Visitor Publishing Division, 2002.

Look over the table of contents, and I think you will see why I suggest this book.

Aside from that, I suggest that Fulton Sheen is such a wonderful apologist for the Catholic Faith. He wrote many books. And also see bishop-sheen.org/Talks.html

Aside from that, I suppose that if somebody will start praying the rosary a little, and then a little more as they grow to love the rosary. Prayer makes our love of God grow. And praying the Rosary gives us hope. Praying the Rosary makes the Catholic Faith very personal for me.

Thomas Howard’s, “On Being Catholic.”

Great book from an evangelist convert.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.