Best catholic Bible version to read? (Revisited)

I just ordered a RSV-CE bible from St. Benedicts. Does anyone have first hand experience with this version?

I have two copies of it and bought another for my wife because she liked mine so much.

It’s one of the better translations available and has become my most used Bible.

I also like the Douay-Rheims Challoner and the old Confraternity version (if you can find one).

Thank you!:slight_smile:

I am about to begin RCIA to learn more about the Catholic faith and wanted to make sure I have a good bible to use for the classes.

If you're willing to spend a fair amount of money, and don't mind multiple volumes, the Navarre Bible is incredible. The commentary is priceless.

Yes, I like it.:thumbsup:

My wife and I use it as our daily Bible.

I also like the language of this one (free to use online): D-R Version

To quote the crusader at the end of the third Indiana Jones movie ....

You have chosen.... wisely.

You may want to check with your parish to see if there is a particular version they will be using for RCIA class. The class I was in asked that we use the same version…the NAB. In fact the provided us each a copy for a nominal fee.

My preferred bible now is the RSV2CE as I find it to be a much better translation, but still easy to read.

God Bless and welcome home!

Dave

[quote="Nacho45, post:1, topic:337965"]
I just ordered a RSV-CE bible from St. Benedicts. Does anyone have first hand experience with this version?

[/quote]

Yes, I do, and the St. Benedict editions are absolutely lovely. The RSV-CE they use is the first edition and as such, is the "real" RSV-CE (the 2nd Catholic Edition, although excellent, was an Ignatius-specific edit, and the Oxford editions are a mess). The typesetting is freshly done, easy to read and the Bibles are magnificently bound. On the downside, there are no cross-references.

I got to copies from them: the standard print black Ultrasoft, and the "large" print CSSI edition with apologetics inserts. I say "large" in quotes because the "large" print isn't really that large. The apologetics inserts though are quite useful and can serve as quick references in a pinch.

Thank you for your responses. I look forward to its arrival!

I like Douay-Rheims. It’s not the easiest to read though.

It arrived and seems like a very nice bible. I also ordered the tabs for each book to make it easier to study. I did make one minor mistake applying them, but no worries. I also tabbed my Catechism. I start the RCIA classes this week so wish me luck and thanks for all the advice.

[quote="Nacho45, post:11, topic:337965"]
It arrived and seems like a very nice bible. I also ordered the tabs for each book to make it easier to study. I did make one minor mistake applying them, but no worries. I also tabbed my Catechism. I start the RCIA classes this week so wish me luck and thanks for all the advice.

[/quote]

Good stuff. If you look at the back, you will find a lectionary table giving you the Mass readings for every day of the year. This is a great reading plan to help you keep stay in touch with the readings of the Mass. May you have many happy years with God's Word.

[quote="DKIN, post:7, topic:337965"]

My preferred bible now is the RSV2CE as I find it to be a much better translation, but still easy to read.
Dave

[/quote]

This one is my favorite too. I have a copy of the NAB at home as well (from my RCIA class actually :)).

Don't make yourself crazy, any of the popular catholic translations will do you well.

Off topic slightly…but what about the best Catholic Bible available in SPANISH? having a hard time finding one for the Spanish speaking RCIA class. Suggestions, anyone?:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.