Best CCC?

I started R.C.I.A. just last tuesday and I deceided that it would be prudent to go get a Catycism (Sp?). Anyway, and Barnes & Noble I noticed that there were two. One was this little small one with a white binding and a Gold spine and said simply Catycism of the Catholic Church and the second was a rather large green paperback that said it went along with something JPII had wrote (in Latin) and I was wondering, are thier any other CCC editions? And which would be the best for a new Catholic still learning the faith (like a compentary or something)? Just curouis. Thanks and God bless.

They are both the same. You can get either one. I have the smaller one with the gold spine. The correct sp BTW would be Catechism of The Catholic Church. I would advice you to get one, so you can learn more about your Faith Journey.

I think some of the smaller versions of the CCC (maybe the one you are talking about but I’m not sure) do not have the Scripture index in the back - check to make sure there is one in the copy you buy. I’ve found it very helpful.

[quote=On my way]They are both the same. You can get either one. I have the smaller one with the gold spine. The correct sp BTW would be Catechism of The Catholic Church. I would advice you to get one, so you can learn more about your Faith Journey.
[/quote]

Thanks for the spelling. O.K. I just wasn’t sure if there was one with a comentary (like some bibles do i.e. and this proves the trinity see John whatever and 1 thess. something ect.) Thanks.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I started R.C.I.A. just last tuesday and I deceided that it would be prudent to go get a Catycism (Sp?). Anyway, and Barnes & Noble I noticed that there were two. One was this little small one with a white binding and a Gold spine and said simply Catycism of the Catholic Church and the second was a rather large green paperback that said it went along with something JPII had wrote (in Latin) and I was wondering, are thier any other CCC editions? And which would be the best for a new Catholic still learning the faith (like a compentary or something)? Just curouis. Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

They both come with the apostlic constitution of Pope John Paul II. The little white one is revised to be closer to the latin, I am not sure if the green one is the same.

[quote=Elzee]I think some of the smaller versions of the CCC (maybe the one you are talking about but I’m not sure) do not have the Scripture index in the back - check to make sure there is one in the copy you buy. I’ve found it very helpful.
[/quote]

In the smaller versions of the CCC the Scripture index is on the bottom of every page. Anyway, I always have a BIble with me when i’m reading the CCC. For me it’s just a preference.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Thanks for the spelling. O.K. I just wasn’t sure if there was one with a comentary (like some bibles do i.e. and this proves the trinity see John whatever and 1 thess. something ect.) Thanks.
[/quote]

Pope Benedict and Cardinal Schoenborn have written an introduction to the Catechism. I have not read it, but it looks like it does not go into details about specific doctrines. Pope Benedict has also written The Compendium of The Catechism of The Catholic Church, which goes into detail about specific doctrines I think, but this one has not been released yet.

I just looked at the copies I have and the one I like best is one published by St. Pauls Publications (www.stpauls.com.au - maybe that’s australia? I got it at a conference I attended awhile back). It’s about 7" by 4.5". so it fits with my bible in my bible case. It has a vinyl cover but has been very durable - it opens flat which I like and has scripture references at the bottom of the page and an index of scripture references at the back, along with the glossary, etc. I think I paid $20 for it.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I started R.C.I.A. just last tuesday and I deceided that it would be prudent to go get a Catycism (Sp?). Anyway, and Barnes & Noble I noticed that there were two. One was this little small one with a white binding and a Gold spine and said simply Catycism of the Catholic Church and the second was a rather large green paperback that said it went along with something JPII had wrote (in Latin) and I was wondering, are thier any other CCC editions? And which would be the best for a new Catholic still learning the faith (like a compentary or something)? Just curouis. Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

First off the Green one is the best for study. Because it has many cross references in the back. I would also recomend ordering the hardback. It holds up better after years of use.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Thanks for the spelling. O.K. I just wasn’t sure if there was one with a comentary (like some bibles do i.e. and this proves the trinity see John whatever and 1 thess. something ect.) Thanks.
[/quote]

I would also suggest getting the “Introduction to the Catechism” and the “Companion to the Catechism” to go along with it.

The CCC is VERY, VERY bulky. You may want to consider checking out some of Fr. Oscar Lukefahr’s correspondence courses which are offered to anyone, for free. You may enroll here - amm.org/chss.htm and check out some of his works. I personally prefer his “We Believe - A Survey of the Catholic Faith”. He also has a Catechism Handbook out and you may want to do that one next. It includes free shipping as part of his apostolate. His materials are very orthodox and address a lot of the common issues and misconceptions people have with the church and is all cross-referenced with the CCC. BTW - I have this Catechism (as long as the title of your catechism is “Catechism of the Catholic Church,” it doesn’t matter which publisher you get it from, the text will be the same).

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385479670/qid=1126821725/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8110117-3980134?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Your parish SHOULD sell them, but I’m not sure if they do. If they don’t, you should ask the priest/secretary/rcia director to see if they can’t get a little Catholic library going there with maybe a few orthodox books for new converts. Also, please check out Scott Hahn & Mark P Shea’s books as well. Another great resource for orthodox Catholic material is at getfed.com.

God bless and welcome to the Church!

P.S. The Catechism is also available online at the Vatican’s website here:

vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

the green one has larger type, easier to read. also many Catholic bookstores and catalogs sell catechism tabs, similar to the bible tabs, which make it much easier to use your CCC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.