Best Cover Versions

I like to listen to covers because some artists seem to be good at presenting a different spin on the song, rather than giving us a note by note cover. Here are some of my faves:
“All Along the Watchtower”-Jimi Hendrix
"Higher Ground"–Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Rock On"–Def Leppard
"Twist and Shout"–The Beatles
"Enjoy the Silence" and “Smells Like Teen Spirit”–Tori Amos
"The Man Who Sold the World"–Nirvana

On Broadway, Gary Numan
Always on My Mind, Pet Shop Boys
SOS, Erasure
Never Can Say Goodbye, The Communards

Turn the Page-(Bob Seeger original, Metalica cover)
Live and Let Die-(Paul McCartney Original, Guns and Roses Cover)
Toys in the Attic-(Aerosmith Original, REM Cover)
Long Way Down-(Goo Goo Dolls original, Haste the Day Cover)

Just a few from me.

I love a good cover song, especially when it crosses genres. Here are some good ones:

[LIST]
*]Come on Eileen by Skyclad (orig. Dexy’s Midnight Runners)
*]Fame by Adagio (orig. from the musical Fame)
*]Mr. Sandman by Blind Guardian (orig. by The Chordettes)
*]The Sound of Silence by Nevermore (orig. by Simon and Garfunkel) [Warning: this one is pretty scary!]
[/LIST]

There are so many more, but this will have to do for a start. :slight_smile:

I have been called a blasphemer for saying so, but I much prefer Hall and Oates’ cover of “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling” over the original Righteous Brothers version!

BLASPHEMER!! :eek:

I just KNEW it was going to get ugly in here!

When I said I like covers that cross genres, I suppose I should be more specific and say that I like covers that cross into heavy metal from another genre. :wink:

Anyway, here are some more good ones (Note: I did not preview the videos, I just searched for the song titles on YouTube; may not be suitable for all audiences :o):

[LIST]
*]The Phantom of the Opera by Nightwish (orig. from the musical “Phantom of the Opera”)
*]Take on Me by Vision Divine (orig. by a-ha)
*]My Generation by Gorky Park (orig. by The Who) [IMHO, this is *much better than the original]
*]My Sharona by Eldritch (orig. by The Knack)
*]Lay All Your Love On Me by Helloween (orig. by ABBA)
[/LIST]
Yes, I know I have an odd taste in music… :o

Best cover version? Hendrix’s “Little Wing” as done by Stevie Ray Vaughn. It’s magical.

Train in Vain by Dwight Yoakum (original The Clash)
Vincent Black Lightning 1952 by Del McCoury (original by Richard Thompson)
Dead Flowers by Townes Van Zandt (Rolling Stones original)

Video Killed the Radio Star by The Presidents of the United States of America

It was the closing credits song they had on The Wedding Singer. Pretty good, I like it better than the original by (I think) the Bangles.

I didn’t know Twist and Shout by the Beatles was a cover. Who did the original? Does the original sound any good?

[quote="JesuXPIPassio, post:11, topic:192204"]
Video Killed the Radio Star by The Presidents of the United States of America

It was the closing credits song they had on The Wedding Singer. Pretty good, I like it better than the original by (I think) the Bangles.

[/quote]

Close...the original was by The Buggles.

The Top Notes (yeah, I never heard of them either :shrug:). Here is the original version on YouTube:

youtube.com/watch?v=LsDpc-8iR8g

I am a HUGE Joni Mitchell fan - but I have to say that the Counting Crows cover of Big Yellow Taxi is much better.

Counting Crows

Joni Mitchell

:thumbsup:

~Liza

I’m sure I’m going to get jumped on for this but…

Total Eclipse of the Heart~ Original: Bonnie Tyler (1983), Cover: Nikki French (1995). Maybe this is because I was a teenager but I’ve always preferred Nikki’s version. :smiley:

You’ve Got A Friend ~ Original: Carole King (1971), Cover: James Taylor (also 1971). Though personally, I like both renditions. :slight_smile:

Will You Love Me Tomorrow? ~ Original: The Shirelles (1960), Cover: Carole King (1971). I prefer Carole’s rendition off of her Tapestry album. Heck, the album as a WHOLE is great. Which means I just went off course completely…:shrug:

Speaking of getting jumped…

…I prefer Ugly Kid Joe’s version of Cat’s in the Cradle to the original by Harry Chapin.

I also prefer Mr. Big’s rendition of Wild World to the original Cat Stevens song.

:o

EDIT: And I prefer just about anyone’s cover of “Space Oddity” to David Bowie’s original. :stuck_out_tongue: (Saigon Kick, Helloween, Star One)

Billie Jean by Chris Cornell.

On the subject of Michael Jackson, there's a preview of his "cover" of "A Horse With No Name" called "A Place With No Name".

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.