Best devotion while unable to partake communion

Howdy,

I was wondering what are some of the best devotions to do while not being able to take communion - while going through the annulment process (Just started last year :().

From what I have read so far:

Devotion to the Sacred Heart

and

Devotion to the Holy Spirit

Those 2 seem to be the most commonly used for people in my situation.

Thanks and God Bless,

When you are at Mass and unable to receive Jesus sacramentally, here is a prayer that is good to pray during Holy Communion.

Spiritual Communion Prayer

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.

Good post up above; my old St. Joseph’s Missal suggested this if you cannot receive communion.

Good on you for your generous and dogged pursuit of Him in Communion while you sort through the annulment. Prayers for you. Great example to us.

Here is a prayer that I use often.

“I wish My Lord to receive you with the purity, humility and devotion with which your Most Holy Mother received You, with the spirit and fervor of the saints. Amen.”

Why can you not receive communion while going through the annulment process? I presume you are not breaking Church law or having relatons with someone else? If you are in a state of grace then you can receive communion.

I have days when I serve multiple Masses. For example, this coming Monday is a three-Mass day (back-to-back daily Masses immediately followed by a funeral). Please pray for me. Anyway, when service is this intensive I obviously can’t take Communion at every Mass so in such situations I’ve found the Blessed Sacrament Chaplet to be most helpful. My chaplet is comprised of a medal depicting the Blessed Sacrament and 33 beads representing the 33 years Christ spent on Earth as a man. On the medal I say:As I cannot now receive Thee in Holy Communion, come spiritually into my heart, and make it Thine own forever.
On each of the beads, I say:Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament on the altar, have mercy on us!
The entire chaplet takes about a minute to pray.

God bless :slight_smile:

Thank you so very much for your replies!

I go to Adoration as well. But I truly yearn receiving communion and at times depression hits me… I get bad thoughts like: Why go to confession if I can’t receive anyways… they don’t last long and maybe I’m being too transparent. But I do go to confession, I believe in a Sacramental life as a means of grace. Maybe I’m underestimating a higher life of prayer.

I normally start praying the rosary after the Liturgy of the Word - at the first kneeling and then I remain kneeling while communion is given and most of the time I can do a full 5 decades and end (The Mass time I usually go to has over 1,200 parishioners most of the time).

I liked the prayers very much, thanks for posting them. I have Padre Pio’s “Stay with me” and St. Ignacio de Loyola’s “Anima Christi” prayers as well.

What can I say - I love the Liturgical and Sacramental life!!!

@eamonnroma - I married outside the Church and then divorced and than married outside the Church again. I came back to the Church recently and my wife converted to Catholicism (And all our 4 children - they have all been baptized and the 3 oldest are receiving communion, my 9 y/o is almost caught up for his 1st communion).
Because the Church doesn’t accept divorce, She examines the circumstances of that divorced marriage and determines of it was entered into with the correct concept, if She determines it wasn’t then it gets annuled. But even after annulment, I need to have my current marriage blessed by the Church before receiving. My wife is also divorced from a prior marriage and going through annulment as well. We are both very devout Catholics and eager to fully participate in the Sacraments. We are also obedient to Church teaching and would love to follow the obedient example of our Lord Christ Jesus.

Peace,

If you go to Confession and agree to cease from all sexual relations (live a life of continence until everything is resolved) then you are able to receive Communion prior to annulment.

I thought this only applied after annulment. Would need to talk to my Priest about it. Thanks!

My wife’s first husband is dead. My first wife is still alive (we got divorced). I could not get an anullment. My current wife and I live a life of continence and we are both allowed to received Communion.

Thank you and may God Bless you in your sacrifice!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.