Best Music of Traditional Catholic Liturgy

“The musical tradition of the universal Church is a treasure of inestimable value, greater even than that of any other art… The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specially suited to the Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given pride of place in liturgical services”
- Sacrosanctum Concilium, Second Vatican Council

As Vatican II reminds us, the musical tradition of the Church is a priceless treasure and of immeasurable value to the sacred Liturgy. Nowhere in the Liturgy are the musical traditions more exalted then in the Classical Latin Mass. With the great revival of the Classical Mass today, we should take care to learn about and promote sacred music. This thread, based on the “Best Videos of Traditional Catholic Liturgy”, will serve as a resource for sacred music. Perhaps if there is enough interest in it, the moderators might be so kind as to make it a sticky at a later date.

Audio files that are especially welcome in this thread include Mass settings in Gregorian and Polyphonic Chant, but compositions in styles such as Baroque and Classical (Masses by Bach, Mozart, Haydn, ect.) are also good. Although we are primarily looking at musical traditions found in the Roman Rite, the music from the Eastern Liturgies is allowed as well. Besides Mass settings I also welcome the chants of the Divine Office and other Liturgical services, prayers put to music, traditional hymns, and non-choral pieces (especially organ music).

Note that I see no problem with posting links to audio files from sources which may have questionable status in the Church (ie. the SSPX, sedevacantists, ect.), as long as it is kept strictly to audio files. Please do not get into discussions or debates here as this is merely a resource for traditional Catholic music.

Here are some pieces to start with:

[LIST]
*]Gregorian Chants for the Mass of Holy Thursday, sung by the schola of the FSSP American Seminary

*]Various choral and organ pieces from the SSPX American Seminary

*]Gregorian Chant Passions, sung by the schola of St. Agnes Church

*]Various Polyphonic Chants, sung by the chamber choir of St. Agnes Church

*]Haydn’s Missa in Tempore Belli and Chants for Easter Sunday, St. Agnes Church

*]Gounod’s Messe solennelle a Sainte Cecile and Chants for Christmas Day, St. Agnes Church

*]Beethoven’s Mass in C, and Chants for Pentecosts, St. Agnes Church

*]Mozart’s Requiem, Chœur des Marais
[/LIST]

Here are some other links I remembered. These are merely samples, but still very good:

Music of the Crusades - Medieval music from the period of the Crusades. Track #2, Pax in nomine Domini!, is Chant accompanied by organ (I forget the specific name of this primitive organ, but I like the sound). I’ll admit that these tracks intrigue me, since I’m a bit of a medievalist :wink:

Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine - Some Renaissance and Early Baroque pieces. Track #1 is excellent.

The Naxos Book of Carols - Some medieval Christmas music. Tracks 1 and 19 are my favorites.

My thanks to brotherholf for giving me these links some months ago :slight_smile:

Early German Organ Music - These are midi files so the sound quality obviously isnt the best, but it gives you an idea of organ music in the High Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Here are some selections recorded at the Solesmes Abbey in the 1930s from the New Liturgical Movement Blog.

Simply amazing.

Perfect Chant

Some more sample tracks. I’m thinking of getting a few of these CDs.

The Medieval Experience - Includes Gregorian Chants and some late Medieval and Renaissance polyphony.
Century Classics, 1100-1200: Music of the Monasteries - Medieval chant and some instrumental pieces. Sit back, close your eyes, and slip into another time…
[Hildegard von Bingen: Saints](“Hildegard von Bingen: Saints”) - Chant from one of the most celebrated composers of the middle ages. Sublime.
Acantus: Sacred Songs of Medieval Italy - This CD takes an interesting approach to sacred music, using that the music of the common people rather then that of the isolated monasteries. Includes some early polyphony.

Here are two polyphonic motets:

Ave Maria
Crux Fidelis

Here are two of the more common settings for the Ordinary of the Mass in Gregorian Chant:

Missa Orbis Factor (XI)
Kyrie
Gloria
Credo
Sanctus/Benedictus
Agnus Dei

Missa de Angelis (VIII)
Kyrie
Gloria
Credo
Sanctus/Benedictus
Agnus Dei

Some tracks from the schola of St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary:

Requiem Mass
Introit
Kyrie
Gradual
Sequence (Dies Irae)
Offtertory
Sanctus/Benedictus
Agnus Dei
Communion

Various Gregorian Chants
Asperges Me
Vidi Aquam
Ave Maria
Regina Caeli
Angelus
Salve Regina
Ave Verum Corpus
Veni Creator Spiritus
Tantum Ergo Sacramentum
Litany of the Blessed Virgin
Litany of St. Joseph
Victimae Paschali
Magnificat
Ubi Caritatis
Ave Maria Caelorum (Simple)
Ave Maria Caelorum (Solemn)

Various Polphonic Chants
Ave Maria
[Adeste Fideles](“javascript:location=‘javascript:void(0)’;window.open(‘chant/polyphony/adeste fideles.htm’,‘adestefideles’,‘height=350,width=400,scrollbars=no,toolbar=no,status=no,menubar=no,location=no,resizable=no’)”)
Lulilulae

Link with an assortment of Eastern Chants from the Byzantine Catholic Church- grkat.nfo.sk/eng/music.html

Everyone, please feel free to post some music files that you all like :slight_smile:

I haven’t listened to all of them (yet!), but Gounod’s ‘Gloria’ brought tears to my eyes.

Here are all 18 Ordinaries of the Mass found in the Kyriale (except for Mass VII), sung by Benedictine monks in Brazil. I will post them in groups of six.

Please note that Mass XVI is a Mass for weekdays, so it does not contain the Gloria, like Masses XVII and XVIII which are for Advent and Lent. The Credo is separate from the Ordinaries in the Kyriale, the most common being Credo III.

**I. Missa Lux et Origo
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

II. Missa Kyrie fons Bonitatis
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

III. Missa Kyrie Deus Sempiterne
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

IV. Missa Cunctipotens Genitor Deus
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

V. Missa Kyrie Magnæ Deus Potentiæ
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

VI. Missa Kyrie Rex Genitor
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei**

**VII. — not available…

VIII. Missa De Angelis
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

IX. Missa Cum Iubilo
(Solemn Feasts of Our Lady)
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

X. Missa Alme Pater
(Memorial Feasts of Our Lady)
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

XI. Missa Orbis Factor
(Sundays after Pentecost)
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

XII. Missa Pater Cuncta
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei**

**XIII. Missa Stelliferi Conditor Orbis
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

XIV. Missa Iesu Redemptor
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

XV. Missa Dominator Deus
Kyrie
Gloria
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

XVI.
(Weekdays after Pentecost)
Kyrie
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

XVII.
(Sundays in Advent and Lent)
Kyrie
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

XVIII.
(Weekdays in Advent and Lent, and Requiem Masses)
Kyrie I
Kyrie II
Sanctus
Agnus Dei**

One of my favorites is Allegri’s Miserere, also the Missa Papae Marcelli by Palestrina, by the Tallis Scholars. Here is a link to Barnes & Noble for a CD similar to the one I have:

music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=755138104129&itm=8

Jon

Some of my favorite organ pieces:

Toccata from Symphony V - Charles Marie Widor
Toccata in F Major - J.S. Bach
Sonata III. Op. 65: I Con moto maestoso - Felix Mendelssohn
Sonata No. 14 for Organ and Orchestra - Mozart
Dorian Toccata - J.S. Bach

I managed to find Bach’s Mass in B Minor in full. I attended a concert for this on Good Friday (not exactly good penance for that day ;)) and I was blown away by it- especialy by the first movement of the Sanctus. This is an exceedingly beautiful Mass, the peak of Bach’s work and possibly of the Baroque period itself. These audio files don’t do the Mass justice (like all music it is far better to hear it performed in person).

These are .ram files, so I’m sorry that I couldnt find more common files. I hope some of you are able to listen to this.

Kyrie
Gloria
Credo
Sanctus
Agnus Dei

I found a good version of Allegri’s Miserere, but its in Quicktime format. Excellent in my opinion:

Miserere

I know it was heavily marketed years ago when it came out, but I still like the “Chant” CD by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos. Samples of each track are on this page: amazon.com/Chant-Gregorian/dp/B000002SKX/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b/002-1842280-8320043 . I have enjoyed listening even more since I was in a music store several years ago and happened upon a book (Canto Gregoriano: The Essential Collection of Gregorian Chant, Novello Publishing Limited, London, ISBN 0-85360-469-X) that contains the printed music and words of all the chants on the CD (plus a few that are not on the CD). It is available at amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/085360469X/ref=nosim/addallbooksearch . I also found translations online (various websites, using a word search) and taped them in the book so I can now pray along and know what the words mean.

Another one I REALLY love is “Matins for the Virgin of Guadalupe,” put to music by Ignacio de Jerusalem in 1764 and recorded by Chanticleer in 1997. Samples are available at amazon.com/Matins-Virgin-Guadeloupe-Ignacio-Jerusalem/dp/B000005825/ref=sr_1_1/002-1842280-8320043?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1184368022&sr=1-1 . Again, I was able to piece together Latin words and English translations by an online search so I can pray along. I use it as my Office of Readings on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe every year, and I listen to it at other times as well.

Stunning!!

I use a Mac too, so thanks for the Quicktime :slight_smile:

I have a CD in a shopping cart next time I order some music.

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.