Best Place to Pray

Does praying in the shower count? What about this place versus at the end of your bed?

The best place to pray is any place where your prayer is fruitful.

I pray in the shower all the time as it’s quiet, uninterrupted time that allows me to focus, and it’s a great way to start the day. I also pray IN bed before I fall asleep, but I don’t think I have ever in my life prayed kneeling at the end of the bed.

As I recall, the Bible, possibly Jesus Himself, says that the best place to pray is in a closet.

If I am correct, does anyone know the chapter and verse? I assume that it’s in one (or more) of the Gospels.

Matthew 6:5-6 (NAB)

5 "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6 But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you."

[quote="jpjd, post:4, topic:180531"]
Matthew 6:5-6 (NAB)

5 "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6 But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you."

[/quote]

That's it. I think the KJV, and probably some other older translations, say 'closet'.

Praying in the shower is fine. Remember, we are to pray ceaselessly; so praying wherever you are at any given moment is excellent.

And one can pray in their mind, without having to say things out loud?
The reason I ask is, I sometimes think about things I want to pray about,and when I think of such things I'll say to myself, that's something I'll pray about later. Nonetheless, I don't think that's actually praying (or is it?).
How does one differentiate between intending to pray something, and then actually praying it? Or is there a difference?
Thanks, everyone, for all your help by the way.

[quote="TJR357, post:1, topic:180531"]
Does praying in the shower count? What about this place versus at the end of your bed?

[/quote]

wherever you are at this moment is the best place to pray, as Paul reminds us to pray always. If you wait for the next best place you will never pray, but always find excuses not to pray. Of course you can pray in your mind, even when you say words outloud that prayer is in your mind and heart. When a need for prayer comes into your mind, say a prayer, a verbal or mental comment, request or praise to God. Never say "Oh I will pray about this later" later will never come. If it is something you need to keep praying about, you can make a note of it when you get the chance so you remember at your next "formal" prayer time, but say a brief even one-word prayer as soon as the matter comes to your mind.

Lord, please let TJR357 know that whenever the thought comes to him/her to pray for something or someone he/she should just say a prayer right then, even if it is only a very brief prayer. He/she can pray about whatever it is more later, if he/she wants to; but I know it’s a good idea to pray to you, Lord, spontaneously without putting off praying till later. If TJR357 is too busy to say a long prayer at any given time, may he/she just offer up the person or situation he is thinking of to you for your care in a split second. Bless TJR357, Lord, and help him to converse with you intimately, spontaneously and constantly throughout his/her day. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

[quote="ready, post:9, topic:180531"]
Lord, please let TJR357 know that whenever the thought comes to him/her to pray for something or someone he/she should just say a prayer right then, even if it is only a very brief prayer. He/she can pray about whatever it is more later, if he/she wants to; but I know it's a good idea to pray to you, Lord, spontaneously without putting off praying till later. If TJR357 is too busy to say a long prayer at any given time, may he/she just offer up the person or situation he is thinking of to you for your care in a split second. Bless TJR357, Lord, and help him to converse with you intimately, spontaneously and constantly throughout his/her day. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

[/quote]

Thank you. And may the Lord hear your prayers as well.

Anywhere is a good place to pray. I sometimes pray on the subway which is about a 20 minute ride for me. It helps to pass the time and I pray for those who need it especially my CAF friends.

See Poll: Do you pray much ? How much time do you spend in prayer each day ? some thoughts on prayer and a Poll to do. ( 1 2 3 4 5)
John Russell Jr in Spirituality forum

The best place to pray is everywhere all the time! It is good to start each day with the sign of the cross and “In the name of the Father,and of the Son,and of the Holy Spirit Amen” and throughout the day talk with God about what you appreciate (His blessings) what you need for yourself or for others and so forth.
I hope the above forum helps too. God bless

[quote="TJR357, post:10, topic:180531"]
Thank you. And may the Lord hear your prayers as well.

[/quote]

Thank you, TJR357.:)

One of the questions I try to remember to ask myself each day is: “Where did I see God today?”. I look for the little kindnesses people do for each other without looking for anything in return.

It does my heart good when I see this. I recommend others to try it. It’s uplifting and of course I try to participate myself.

[quote="244Rocket, post:14, topic:180531"]
One of the questions I try to remember to ask myself each day is: "Where did I see God today?". I look for the little kindnesses people do for each other without looking for anything in return.

It does my heart good when I see this. I recommend others to try it. It's uplifting and of course I try to participate myself.

[/quote]

Beautiful Rocket,couldn't have said it better myself

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.