Best Places for a Young Adult Catholic to Live?

Hi all,

I have seen some posts with people asking the best Catholic cities to raise a family. However, I would like your advice on the best place for a young, single Catholic to live.

I am graduating from college in the spring with a degree in economics, and would like to find a new place to relocate to and look for a job.

I am hoping for somewhere where people are active in their faith. I would like somewhere where I can meet Catholic friends (maybe live with other Catholic women?) and hopefully even find a nice Catholic man to date ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Lincoln Nebraska :thumbsup:

Well, Pittsburgh is the best place for ANYBODY to live, so, there's that... ;)

Seriously, even though I'm recently married, I have many single friends who really enjoy living here. There is a lot to do, but it's not all centered around sinful activities, and I see a lot of young single people who are very active in my parish. It's not "weird" here for young people to go to church even if they're not married (which is the vibe I've gotten in other places - if you're under 30 and don't have six kids, the "normal" thing to do on Sundays is sleep in after a hard night of drinking. :shrug:) People are incredibly kind here and there are a lot of up-and-coming industries (health care and technology are very big right now). We are not suffering as much as many other areas in the economic climate.

Good luck on your search!

[quote="Weltschmerz, post:1, topic:254206"]
Hi all,

I have seen some posts with people asking the best Catholic cities to raise a family. However, I would like your advice on the best place for a young, single Catholic to live.

I am graduating from college in the spring with a degree in economics, and would like to find a new place to relocate to and look for a job.

I am hoping for somewhere where people are active in their faith. I would like somewhere where I can meet Catholic friends (maybe live with other Catholic women?) and hopefully even find a nice Catholic man to date ;)

Thanks for the advice.

[/quote]

Albuquerque, New Mexico!

Great climate, green chile, relatively low cost of living (and lower unemployment than much of the country, I believe).

Plus we have several very strong parishes (St. Thomas Aquinas, St. John Vianney, the Church of the Incarnation. Our Lady of Perpetual Help - and more - plus even in the not-so-great parishes there are always great Catholics).

Plus the college aged group at the University (the Byzantine Catholic one) is absolutely awesome!

Wichita, Kansas. Has an annual Midwest Catholic Family Conference every year (great place to meet other young adults), tons of very strong Churches, our Catholic schools are paid by tithe's and are very strong, tons of awesome priests and sems, we have a Catholic College (Newman), we are the founder of Totus Tuus (Summer Youth Catechesis), and we might be home (diocese) to a Saint (Fr. Emil Kapaun, we formally sent the petition to the Vatican last month).

Home is where the heart is. In my opinion, the best place is near my family. There's good people in every town, but nothing beats family.

[quote="silicasandra, post:3, topic:254206"]
Well, Pittsburgh is the best place for ANYBODY to live, so, there's that... ;)

Seriously, even though I'm recently married, I have many single friends who really enjoy living here. There is a lot to do, but it's not all centered around sinful activities, and I see a lot of young single people who are very active in my parish. It's not "weird" here for young people to go to church even if they're not married (which is the vibe I've gotten in other places - if you're under 30 and don't have six kids, the "normal" thing to do on Sundays is sleep in after a hard night of drinking. :shrug:) People are incredibly kind here and there are a lot of up-and-coming industries (health care and technology are very big right now). We are not suffering as much as many other areas in the economic climate.

Good luck on your search!

[/quote]

I second that! :thumbsup:

**Unless you live in a flat or declining economy, I would relocate as only far as the biggest metro area near your family of origin's home town if you have a good, supportive family. Otherwise, I would look for area's that have well-developed single adult ministries.... I would think that you can't go wrong with either Nebraska or Kansas, these places seem to be an epicenter for authentic Catholicism. But there are good Catholics everywhere. Research the dioceses that you find the most jobs. I would recommend Lincoln, and I'm from Texas!

Where are you from?

Metro DC has a booming Catholic population as well as Atlanta, Georgia. Now, a few cranky guys who can't find women on this board insult the new churches (larger ones tend towards charasmatic but still wonderful) but I've been there and they are wonderful. Vibrant faith filled communites. Alot of good things happening especally in the DC metro area.

You'll want to learn korean, spanish, or french (african immigrants) though...loads of immigrants.

who is hiring economists? that is where to start looking
if the place you move to is not evangelized, start evangelizing.

If you have an econ degree, you could probably get a job in or around DC. Northern Virginia (right across the river) is home to the Arlington Diocese, which has a reputation of being very traditional and devout.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

[/quote]

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas I hear is a great city to live in right now. Conservative, republican, traditional, but at the same time a large metropolitan area with a good economy and decent job opportunities.

Decent weather too. Plenty of sunshine and relatively mild winters. You'll find mostly protestants vs Catholics there, but at least it's a big Christian city.

Everyone's moving to Houston for work! We have one of the lowest unemployment rates and very low cost of living! There are something like 80+ Catholic churches in the city itself, that's not counting the suburbs. It's the 4th largest city in the country, so there's plenty of stuff to do. Only thing is the hot weather. Besides the weather, I like living here.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

[/quote]

I'd look for a city with a big Catholic population. Your odds are better there. I would recommend St. Louis but I grew up here and am still single. Also we were recently known as the most "Dangerous City" in America..."East St. Louis" would seem more likely to me for that title but the great thing ....there's a Catholic church on just about every corner. :D

Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post
Hi all,

I am hoping for somewhere where people are active in their faith. I would like somewhere where I can meet Catholic friends (maybe live with other Catholic women?) and hopefully even find a nice Catholic man to date

Thanks for the advice.

I have actually thought about posting this very same question, but you beat me to it! I am a little bummed to find out that the DC/metro area (especially Northern Virginia) is actually a good place for strong Catholicism, as I am from the DC metro area (Maryland), but just moved up north to Vermont, which is probably the most liberal state in the union! I have family up here, so at least I have a place to stay and a job, but I'm starting to think I should have looked into my friend's suggestions in the NoVa area...sigh oh well. Any suggestions for those of us up north?

[quote="PaperCrane, post:15, topic:254206"]
I have actually thought about posting this very same question, but you beat me to it! I am a little bummed to find out that the DC/metro area (especially Northern Virginia) is actually a good place for strong Catholicism, as I am from the DC metro area (Maryland), but just moved up north to Vermont, which is probably the most liberal state in the union! I have family up here, so at least I have a place to stay and a job, but I'm starting to think I should have looked into my friend's suggestions in the NoVa area...sigh oh well. Any suggestions for those of us up north?

[/quote]

Suggestion for those up north:

Move South... More conservative and a lot more Christian (particularly Texas).... not to mention the weather is waaayyyy nicer.

I'm from Florida and LOVE it here, but my objective opinion as far as the best place to live for a Catholic looking for like minded folks is Texas.

[quote="Debora123, post:16, topic:254206"]
Suggestion for those up north:

Move South... More conservative and a lot more Christian ([particularly Texas).... not to mention the weather is waaayyyy nicer.

I'm from Florida and LOVE it here, but my objective opinion as far as the best place to live for a Catholic looking for like minded folks is Texas.

[/quote]

I wish someone would create a place with Texas' food, a daytime high of 40-50 degrees, and a big Catholic population :thumbsup:

I can't stand the weather anywhere south of about vermont in the summer (and I work outside), but sometimes you just have to deal with it and have a good air conditioning unit
[/quote]

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

[/quote]

If you are single, I'd say the best place to live is with your parents.

There are lots of benefits both physical and spiritual.

Pax.

I'd move to Louisiana. Tons of Catholics, great food, warm and friendly people, and very beautiful women.

amazon.com/Whos-Your-Mama-Catholic-Make/dp/096316371X

Thanks everyone so much for the great advice! I am very happy that it sounds like there are many great cities for Catholics to live in. I will look into all these places, especially northern Virginia, as I have close family members there. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.