Best private catholic high schools in america

parents, if money was not a problem, where would you send your kids for a good catholic education?

iIf you live in Oregon; I would recommend either St Mary's Academy in downtown Portland (for girls; I went there...Fabulous education and religious teaching) or Jesuit High school in Beaverton Oregon (both sexes). Both are nationaly recognised stellar schools. Hope this helps!

grandkids are in St Ignatius (boys) and Beaumont (girls) in Cleveland don't know if their academics and faith formation are still as they were in former days, I do now they are a bit disappointed in dwindling math and science offerings for the girls. so far are kids are still pretty solid but I don't know about their graduates over all.

St. Ignacius in Chicago for purely academic reasons.

[quote="NSFrame, post:4, topic:235030"]
St. Ignacius in Chicago for purely academic reasons.

[/quote]

Christian Brothers High School in Memphis (for boys), a Catholic school still run by a religious order and many of the teachers are a brothers. They are also highly rated academically.

I grew up in the Boston area.

My brother attended Catholic Memorial…awesome school. Also knew some boys who went to Boston College High.

For girls, Mount Alvernia, Fontbonne or Mount St. Joseph.

Coed: Matignon

St. Dominic Savio in Austin TX. It is a brand new diocesan high school and I do not know if I am more impressed by the orthodoxy or by the academics. Daily Mass, spiritual retreats, adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, altar servers, great theology teachers. The school is designed for access to scientific and engineering majors in college; however their Latin and liberal arts programs are very solid too. The only "apparent" cons is the amount of homework.

In NYC, Regis High School.

Founded in 1914 by an anonymous benefactor and supported by the generosity of her family, its alumni and friends, Regis High School offers a tuition free Jesuit college preparatory education to Roman Catholic young men from the New York metropolitan area who demonstrate superior intellectual and leadership potential. In the admissions process, special consideration is given to those who cannot otherwise afford a Catholic education.

Two months ago, twenty one seniors were named FINALISTS in the 2011 Competition for the National Merit Scholarships. That's roughly 1/6 of the entire senior class.

Oakcrest school for girls in McLean VA

I second Oakcrest and add The Heights School for boys in Potomac, MD.

Also, any school entrusted to the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia. In Baltimore, that would be Mt. de Sales Academy.

Mount St. Michael in Nebraska is an exceptional boarding school for boys, in terms of academics, athletics and spiritual development.

I know people from Creighton (men) and Marion (women) who are brilliant, but I’m unable to track the spiritual development they received. Looks like a mix of good and bad, near as I can tell.

what about the schools in ave maria, florida? it's a fairly new Catholic community that resolves around ave maria university. any other communities like this in the US?

[quote="aggie1344, post:1, topic:235030"]
parents, if money was not a problem, where would you send your kids for a good catholic education?

[/quote]

Well I'm not a parent and this is not High school but I would LOVE go to to Franciscian U of Stubenville

-Jeanne

[quote="baltobetsy, post:10, topic:235030"]
I second Oakcrest and add The Heights School for boys in Potomac, MD.

Also, any school entrusted to the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia. In Baltimore, that would be Mt. de Sales Academy.

[/quote]

I am a Heights alumni. Sure is a great school.

Hey now, don’t leave out my Archbishop Williams! :wink:

We live in Mobile, AL, and McGill-Toolen Catholic High School is top-notch; very orthodox and excellent academics, with students getting into elite colleges (though, not enough parents or students here think outside the Auburn/Alabama box.)

St Lawrence Seminary High School :thumbsup: an hour north of Milwaukee WI, even if money WAS a problem. In 150 years they have never turned away a young man for lack of financial resources. The last 3 of my 8 children are/have attending and the financial aid has been very generous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.