Best Rock Decade

Which decade of rock n roll do you like best? To help you out, here are some musicians I think best represent the history of rock from each decade:
50’s: Bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis Presley
60’s: Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Beatles, Crosby Stills Nash (and sometimes) Young; The Doors
70’s: Aerosmith, The B-52s, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
80’s: Duran Duran, Loverboy, Van Halen, Metallica, Def Leppard, Red Hot Chilli Peppers
90’s: Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam
Current: any you can think of

IMO, I do not classify anyone that you mentioned in the 90’s as rock music. That is not, nor should it ever be classified as rock and roll. I have a way to classify it that I cannot mention in a family friendly forum :blush: :smiley:

1977-1987. From the death of the King and Rocket to Russia, Lust For Life, Blank Generation, Talking Heads: 77, Trans Europe Express (well okay, Kraftwerk isn’t really rock’n’roll), Devo’s first EP, and a whole bunch more to Floodland and the beginning of Nirvana. I don’t think anything is going to top that ten years.

None of your choices fit my opinion. I would say from ~1967 to ~1975.

Peace

Tim

My answer depends on whether you’re looking for best decade for popular rock music or just rock music in general.

If it’s popular rock music, I would say the 80s, hands down. You can’t beat the hair! :smiley: Unfortunately, some of those bands (like Metallica) were like Samson; they cut their hair and lost their power…

If it doesn’t have to be popular, I would say the 90s or current. Obviously, not because of bands like Pearl Jam but rather because of bands like Dream Theater, Savatage, Theocracy, Saviour Machine, Rhapsody (of Fire), Blind Guardian, Kamelot, etc., etc. I know a few of those bands started in the 80s, but I think their best material came from the 90s.

I’m torn between the 60s and 70s!

The 80s were…alright…but the best rock was definitely made before 1980. I can’t stand todays music, and the 90s :shrug:

I am in the minority, but I love the hair bands from 84-92.

Winger
Bon Jovi
Dokken
Firehouse
Damn Yankees
Ratt
Giant
Slaughter
Steelheart
Motley Crue
Poison
Autograph
Trixter
Britney Fox
Kix
Vixxen
Stryper
Jackal

Don’t worry, there are others like you! :slight_smile:

I think I own albums by almost every band you mentioned (except Giant and Vixxen). Of course, most of them are cassettes…

I can’t believe you know Steelheart! That guy sings higher than any girl I’ve ever known! Just when you think he’s singing as high as humanly possible, he takes it up another octave! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I had a hard time telling the first time I heard “Angel Eyes” if it was afemale or not. Amazing voice though.

Giant is great, I didn’t discover them until probably 2000, but they are awesome, and I bought a number of their CDs since then.

:clapping: Many of my favorites. How about
Skid Row
Warrant
White Lion
Southgang
Pretty Boy Floyd
Ugly Kid Joe
Danger Danger
Dangerous Toys
Roxy Blue
Sleeze Beez
Kik Tracee
Slik Toxic
Tyketto
LA Guns
Tora Tora
Enuff ‘Z’ Nuff

This is so strange, I am listening to my mp3 player right now (with a lot of this music on it) and I have it on ‘Shuffle’ under 'All titles" (so it randomly picked this song) and the song now is:

“Like Never Before” by Steelheart

Next song:

“Rock ‘n’ Roll (I Just Wanna)” by Steelheart

Woah! Divine Providence? :smiley:

Awesome list. How could I leave off Danger Danger and Skid Row, two of the all time best! Good to see Sebastian Bach on broadway as a leading man; shows he had talent.

And Whitesnake, of course, forgot them too.

Something like that, makes me look like this :whacky:

I’m with ya. :thumbsup: :smiley:

Sebastian Bach, one of my favorite vocalists of all time!

Saw him doing a solo show and will never forget after he played a ton of old Skid Row songs (they did him wrong in that ordeal btw) he said “You can take the man out of the band, but you cannot take the band out of the man!”

Great show!!

I guess we all find our favorites in the decade we grew-up in. For me, that was the '70’s. Not the disco '70’s, but the decade of progressive/art rock, with a little psychedellia: Pink Floyd, ELP, Renaissance, King Crimson, Led Zepplin, etc. But my favorite rock band of all time is Yes.

Nope.:slight_smile: I grew up in the 90s. My favorite music is in the 60s, 70s, 80s.

Not that I hate all music from the 90s, just don’t think its the best.

I used to be obsessed with the Monkeys. VH1 was running marathons of them and everything a few years back. Makes me sad that they’re all as old as my parents(50s/60s).:frowning: haha.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.