Best rock 'n' roll remakes

Remakes usually aren’t as good as the original songs. But once in a while someone does it right.

Some I like:

“Do you remember rock and roll radio” originally by the Ramones, done better by Kiss.

“Somebody to Love” originally by Jefferson Airplane, done better by Mother’s Finest.

Original- Rock and Roll music by Chuck Berry, done better by the Beatles.
Original- All along the Watchtower by Dylan, done better by Jimi Hendrix.
Original- She came in through the bathroom window, by the Beatles, done better by Joe Cocker.

Just my opinion…

Come Together. The Beatles- Aerosmith
Rawhide - DK 's

I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Gladys Knight and Pips redone by Marvin Gaye

Then redone by CCR. Maybe not better, but very very good.

Have to second this :smiley:

Also, Nirvana’s cover of David Bowie’s ‘The Man Who Sold The World’ during their unplugged NY concert is one of the best covers ever. The original is amazing, but so is Cobain and co.'s take.

Rammstein’s version of Kraftwerk’s ‘Das Modell’ is great, taking the song into an entirely new direction. Kraftwerk hates that number, but it’s still good – and Rammstein actually manages to improve on it.

The Ramones did several great covers, from ‘Needles and Pins’ to ‘Spider-Man’ (yes, the cartoon theme song).

The Pixies covered the Jesus and Mary Chain’s ‘Head On’ right after it was released, and did a pretty good job of it. I prefer the original, but still… it’s the Pixies, come on.

Siouxsie did a version of Iggy Pop’s ‘The Passenger’ – not quite up there with the original, but I like both versions.

And I recently heard a couple of no-name artists take on Disturbed’s ‘Down With The Sickness’ and Bon Jovi’s ‘Living On A Prayer’ in the finest Clinton-Funkadelic style, and it rocked my socks off. Both were far better than the originals :smiley:

never, in 1,000,000 years, could i have ever imagined reading that sentence. i’m in shock. my life is now complete. :stuck_out_tongue:

Livin’ On A Funky Prayer

And for good measure… here’s Down With The Sickness, the funkdafied version… enjoy :smiley:

Def Leppard’s latest album “Yeah!” is all remakes. Some REALLY great stuff on there.

Great versions of
20th Centrury Boy by T Rex
Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks
The Golden Age of Rock N Roll by Mott the Hoople
No Matter What by Badfinger (EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT cover)
(They also cover “Rock On” by David Essex, but I hate that song and all incarnations of it.)

Poison released an album of covers this year also, but everything I’ve heard off of it is horrible.

Kiss’s cover of Do You Remember Rock N Roll Radio is indeed fantastic.

Rush’s EP “Feedback” was great too. Summertime Blues, Heart Full of Soul, Crossroads, For What it’s Worth, The Seeker.

Speaking of The Who (The Seeker), the Scorpions’ cover of I Can’t Explain was really good too.

I’m sure I know more, and could go on all day.

Like Stevie Ray Vaughan’s version of Voodoo Child…one of my absolutely favorite songs of all time. Or Stevie’s cover of The Sky is Falling.

ugh. I’d better stop.

It’s funny, because my kids are big Beach Boys fans, and they love the song Sloop John B. I was just thinking this weekend that Snoop Dogg needs to do a remake and call it the Snoop John B. Every time I hear that song now, I hear it in Snoop’s slow drawl.

:cool:

org. “In my eyes” by Minor Threat
re. by Rage Against The Machine

You got it! Gladys and Co. may funk-it, but Marvin gives us the feeling, and that’s the bottom line. How about Smith’s remake of: Baby It’s You. Makes the original sound like a tune from an ice cream truck. And not in the ‘rock’ genre, Andy Kim’s remake of: Baby, I Love You. No scenery there. Just singing it like it is.Hey, how about…Worst Remakes Of All Time? Grand Funk’s Loco-Motion. The guitar solo is from outer space. Cat Stevens’ Another Saturday Night. What’s with that intro?? Sounds like a merry-go-round that fell off it’s axle.

rcguy

Manfred Mann’s “Blinded By the Light” . . . better than Springsteen’s muddled original.

Chicago’s “I’m A Man” . . .better than the Spencer Davis Group, which was also a very good version! The percussion solo in the middle of the Chicago version is worth a listen alone.

HERETICS!!! Let the burnings commence!

Type O Negative’s remake of Seals and Crofts “Summer Breeze” -I wouldn’t say better but definitely interesting.

No one has mentioned Lim Bizkit’s remake of the George Michael classic “Faith”.

Or Vanilla Ice’s OWN remake of “Ice Ice Baby”

I wonder why, this being a thread about the best :eek:

Forgot one in my earlier post: Lydia Lunch’s cover of Classic 12’s ‘Spooky’. It’s just adorable.

I don’t know if this is on here but…

Silhouettes on the Shade by ?..was redone by Herman’s Hermits and I thought it was better.

Billie Jean, on Chris Cornell’s latest disc.

Johnny Cash’s cover of “Hurt” still gives me chills.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.