Best singers

Name the singers you feel have the best voices. Any genre, and decade.

1. Ramin Karimloo. Original Phantom in the sequel to Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies. His voice is perfection (and he is very easy on the eyes as well):
    m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=47dUc4iMAvQ

2. Darren Hayes. Some of you may remember him as the lead singer of the group Savage Garden. Yes, it was sort of a boy band in the 90’s, but no denying he has an amazing voice. This is my favorite song by him:
    m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=dtQ7n_wG_pE

These would be my favourites:

Bing Crosby - Traditional Pop,Light Jazz,etc.

Ella Fitzgerald - Jazz

Barbara Bonney - Classical(Franz Schubert’s ‘Ave Maria’ best version in my opinion)

Patsy Cline - Country

James Morrison - Pop

Jack White - Rock

Freddie King - Blues

All my favorites are rock/metal. Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

1.) D.C. Cooper (Royal Hunt, Silent Force) - here, here, here, and here.

2.) Roy Kahn (Conception, Kamelot) - here, here, here, and here.

I think I could listen to either of them sing the phone book and be happy. :slight_smile:

Regina Spektor - Jazz/Pop

youtube.com/watch?v=wigqKfLWjvM

Brooke Fraser

youtube.com/watch?v=IxGz3rjvlXo

Dean Martin - Blues

youtube.com/watch?v=jdM9HDI33AY

Chris Martin (Colplay Lead) - Alternative Rock/Pop

youtube.com/watch?v=JI-o25K6B-E

Tom Chaplin (Keane) - Rock/Pop

youtube.com/watch?v=KppAzdztrlM

Savage Garden. lol. 90s boy bands. They have some sweet songs.Tenors like Andrea Bocelli and Pavarotti are some of my favs. “Vivo per lei” with Bocelli and Giorgia is one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard. Pavarotti’s version of “Ave Maria” can’t be surpassed. Also, Josh Groban, Lauryn Hill, Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford(broadway version of phantom of the opera).

Stevie Nicks–what a voice! I love her rich, smoky tones, although her songs are pretty obscure in meaning for me.

Elvis had a truly lovely voice wasted on too many silly songs.

Rosemary Clooney had a good sound. I love a good alto.

Mel Torme was great too.

Fred Astaire, believe it or not. He had a way of making a song sound like he was making the lyrics up as he sang.

Why do you say “lol” over Savage Garden. Thats kinda rude you know.

For another beautiful Ave Maria, enjoy Aaron Neville:
youtube.com/watch?v=OqObPtltpvA&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CLQgUgjy3FbwdRQ7QSA13W&index=8&feature=plcp

Great thread.

I think that the “best” voices, for the most part, belong to opera singers. These people work very hard to train their voices and learn the skills of correct singing. A lot of the rock/blues/pop singers are actually well-trained singers and could have chosen to do opera, but got a break at some point and decided to take the musical path that opened up to them, be it pop, country, rock, etc. I don’t blame them–making a living in music is hard, and if you get a break, take it.

But opera has changed through the years, and listening to tapes of someone like Maria Callas makes me realize that the opera singers cheered for in one generation sound not so good in the next generation. I have to admit, though, that I really love Renee Fleming. She has worked very hard to develop her voice.

The following singers, IMO, have unique and ethereal voices:

Roy Orbison was the first singer who came to my mind when I read the title of this thread.

Patsy Cline, and in modern days, K.D. Lang.–their voices are eerily similiar.

Freddy Mercury.

Karen Carpenter

Bing Crosby

Nat King Cole

Garth Brooks

Meatloaf

sorry I offended. I said lol because “truly, madly, deeply” was my favorite song in sixth grade and I had forgot about them. I wasn’t poking fun at you

I’m sorry for misunderstanding:)

Some of those named previously.

But when it comes to sheer fireworks, it has to be Anna Moffo. If you want to, listen to this, and listen to the very last note. Nobody else can hit it. Rossini wrote it for a particular soprano who was contemporary with him,and whom nobody could match, either in the scales or in that last note at the end. Anna Moffo could do it. youtube.com/watch?v=KjKwm3enCTw

If you want to talk opera singers then Mario Lanza has to be mentioned. He had a fabulous voice, much better than Caruzo, who he played in the film version of his life.

Bing Crosby
Andrew Sisters

No doubts for me. I could listen to them all day, everyday :slight_smile:

If we shift to opera quality voices Mariah Carey should get a vote-wonderful range and control.

Totally forgot about Leona Lewis. Her voice is just beyond words. Her version of “Run” is stunning.

m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=g5ZQJoxae4o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.