Best TV Show of All Time

What do you think is the best TV show from anywhere in any time?

24 is the best mystery show....Comedy? My favorite is Fraiser, but I can see why other people don't like it.

My PERSONAL favorite of all time is "The Golden Girls"! I would assume "M.A.S.H" would rank up there, though I've never watched it much.

"Bonanza" is one of the best shows in my opinion. And I am tempted to say "The Saint," but that is probably just I like Roger Moore a lot.

The original, black and white era of Captain Kangaroo!

[quote="SamTheNewfie, post:1, topic:257973"]
What do you think is the best TV show from anywhere in any time?

[/quote]

For comedy, I think "The Honeymooners." In the category of comedy-drama, I loved "Northern Exposure." For science fiction, the original "Twilight Zone."

The Carol Burnett Show

The Carol Burnett Show

(yeah, dating myself :D )

Star Trek, hands down.

[quote="Lainey63, post:7, topic:257973"]
The Carol Burnett Show

[/quote]

Great minds think alike. :thumbsup:

Silliest: Get Smart

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:11, topic:257973"]
Silliest: Get Smart

[/quote]

Laugh-in :D

The Big Five

• The Brady Bunch
  • Bewitched
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Eight Is Enough
  • Family Ties

All awesomely amazing shows. :thumbsup:

"Marcus Welby, M.D." "Quincy, M.E.," "Kojak," and "Magnum, P.I." are also among my favorites.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:14, topic:257973"]
"Kojak"

[/quote]

"Who loves ya, baby?"* :)

[quote="havana1, post:15, topic:257973"]
"Who loves ya, baby?"* :)

[/quote]

And let's not forget about his oral fixation (cigars and lollipops)!

"As Time Goes By"

Scout :tiphat:

Babylon 5

My first reaction to the question was Star Trek.

I also agree with The Carol Burnett Show.

I think a lot of "experts" would say All In The Family and MASH. I can go along with these choices, too, although I think that AITF introduced a lot of bad stuff to television along with several good things. I believe that for the most part, AITF influenced American culture for the bad rather than for the good, and I personally have a difficult time with that.

I would nominate Gilligan's Island, if only for the creativity and longevity of the show, and for the way it has become part of American pop culture. And it was honestly funny!

My personal "best" show of all time was/is Dark Shadows, and I think it probably deserves a place in the Top 100 shows of all time. I think that Dark Shadows was the beginning of the "suffering monster" genre of television villains; the "monster" is destructive, yes, but he/she doesn't want to be evil and is struggling to be good. I think that this was the appeal of the show, since so many of us desperately want to be "good," but struggle with our sins and flaws (Romans 7).

I also think the show really helped Americans deal with the horrors of the 1960s, especially the Viet Nam war and all the protests, and the Civil Rights movement and all the violence associated with that worthy movement. Dark Shadows was an escape hatch--for a half hour, we were able to forget about the race riots and the Kent State shootings and free love and the drug culture, and watch a fantasy.

This show was and still is a huge influence on my life. At a time in my life when I was suffering at the hands of school bullies, Dark Shadows awakened my creativity and helped me to get to a place where I could ignore bullies. A lot of creative people give credit to Dark Shadows for helping them find their "muse." Many of the actors on Dark Shadows say that they loved the creativity and the imagination that went into the show, and believed at the time that they were helping people to be more creative and use their imaginations. A lot of "special effects" that we take for granted today were actually created for the first time by the techies working with Dark Shadows. They had no money in the budget and computers were not available for CGI like they are today, but those DS techies still managed to do some pretty cool effects, which seem primitive today, but then, remember that today, techies often have millions of dollars in their special effects budgets.

I'm really looking forward to the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp Dark Shadows movie; Johnny Depp is one who ran home from school to see Dark Shadows, and always dreamed of playing Barnabas Collins someday--good for him for succeeding in acting and remembering his childhood dream!

my all time favorite show, Emergency!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.